Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There's rules that they have to be available for various stuff in France unless they get a dispensation from World Rugby to travel elsewhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/sep/24/england-players-told-to-stay-in-france-during-rugby-world-cup-rest-week

World Rugby has said that strictly speaking players are allowed home but as they remain “in tournament” they must fulfil their obligations which include media appearances, providing anti-doping whereabouts, commercial commitments and they are still bound by the tournament’s code of conduct. The governing body added that while requests to leave the host country are normally made on grounds such as “compassionate leave”, some teams have been asking during their rest weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've no idea , early team announcements haven't been a feature for Ireland - I know Gatland has tended to announce teams early as have SA , but Ireland generally tend to announce 24/48 hrs in advance.

Don't know if an early team is a sign of confidence around player availability or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If they're calling up a player he needs 48h to get to Paris!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would be surprised if they call up someone and they are involved this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Presume they've ruled out someone they were waiting on news for, Ryan I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think I read they brought it forward as Thursday is a rest/down day for the team this week. As they are based in Paris there is no travelling this week so they can name the team Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It’s unlikely given the update this morning but if Lowe, Hanson, Henshaw and Earls were all out they’d have to call someone up and start them. Otherwise you’d be moving Aki to 13 Ringrose to the wing and have Byrne and Crowley both on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Farrell said that he wanted to give the players a day off on Thursday, but it being the world cup they are required to do media at team announcements. So brought it forward a day. Also he said it does not matter as everyone knows more or less what the team is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Mike Catt says Mack Hansen is "looking sprightly" and trained fully. All 23 players selected are fit to go

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not going near the match thread because I'm sure it will just make me angry, but anyway...not much to say really...I'm absolutely gutted, but I'm sure the players feel whatever we do x 100.

The finer details can be looked at later but that Ireland squad stood up and did us proud. It wasn't to be, and yes getting knocked out again the QF is devastating, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a fantastic Irish team that have set the standard over the last 18 months.

Anyway batten down the hatches, as Venjur said in his match thread there will be plenty who will take glee from this.

In the meantime congrats to Yeah Right and the other Kiwis on this board. I genuinely hope you go the whole way now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

New Zealand did not make mistakes.

We did.

We lost.

It hurts, but this isn't the same as all the other QFs we've gone out in since 91.

It's a game of fine, fine margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭noc1980

You're right, it's not the same. We weren't good enough before. We went to this as the genuine #1.

17 wins in a row, 28 wins out of 30.

This is by far our worst QF defeat.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Go take a long walk noc

Your trolling of the site over the last six weeks has been nothing but embarrassing and sad.

If you actually left your parents house and took up a hobby you wouldn't be such a sad neckbeard.

Take you stopped clock moment and enjoy it, because when it ends you'll have nothing left but your sad empty existence

I think this hurts more than any QF I've watched since '91. For the reasons you say. There was no hope in 2019, in 2015 we were beaten after 20 minutes, Wales we just never got into it and all other QFs we've been comfortably second best.

I think tonight was a game of big moments and more big moments went against us than for us. Jordan's try, the missed penalty, the ball held up over the line, the drop ball off the goal line drop out, those were the moments that stand out to me, there may be others.

Not sure who man of the match was but Savea and Cane were both terrific. Savea really turned up, he's their best player, Doris is ours (IMO) and Savea got the better of Caelen tonight (not singling out Doris in any way shape or form).

But this hurts tonight, I think more wine is required...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I wouldn't say NZ didn't make mistakes.

They did. But we made more. Or we made more impactful ones perhaps.

Such is life, fine margins as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sitamoia

Relax

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Ireland lost by 4 points , 2015 and 2019 we were well beaten

Rugby just needs to keep growing in popularity in rural Ireland, Dublin will always supply lots of good players but If Irish rugby can spread its tentacles into rural gaa strongholds than it can only be a good thing for irish rugby

You look at the player pools new Zealand England France South africa are drawing from and it's a clear advantage

Ireland were close tonight but to win a world cup we need stonger depth across the field but especially our props. Furlong and porter play too much and it's not good for them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It has been 18 months since a team did such a number on us at the breakdown. That was France and funnily enough it was at the Stade De France too. Fair play to New Zealand. They were brilliant.

I am concerned by our lineout now though. It's been an issue for a while. Against South Africa it was understandable as they've the best defensive lineout in the game. But New Zealand's wasn't one I would have been as concerned about pre-match. They pilfered three or four and ruined our attacking platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭VeryOwl

If either the line out or scrum had functioned better we win that game. It's crushingly disappointing but also quite frustrating that it's a known issue that wasn't addressed. Not that it matters now.

Well done NZ.

Yep, the breakdown was ominous from the start. I think we maybe started commiting more numbers in the second half which meant better ball but the price you pay is fewer options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Thank you for being my safe place tonight, venjurs match thread is no place for the brokenhearted, far too many nasty people looking to hit us with sticks and stones. We didn't play to our best and got beaten. I am damn proud of every single member of the squad though, Johnny is bent tonight but not broken and his kids will have him in a good place by tomorrow. A proper competitor at the highest level till 38 is phenomenal. Cheers for the memories captain

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭fitz

I'm hoping for a NZ v France final now.

Congrats to @swiwi_ , @YeAh!@Yeah_Right and @TheRona , enjoy the win, NZ really pulled a huge performance of of the bag.

Talk of us being bottlers is hyperbole. We played well and showed unbelievably toughness to draw it back more than once after getting behind.

Gutted for a Sexton in particular. We had the opportunities to win that game, and a few key moments/fine margins/execution errors cost us very dearly. If any player deserved to break the QF curse, it was Sexton. Sport is cruel.

As @lawred2 said somewhere else, I'm now hitting the phase of just being sad about it. Heartbroken, as I really think we had the win in us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gutted, but immensely proud of what they did. In the game until the final whistle.

• Advertisement

Jonny has had an incredible career. He didn't deserve that tonight, bit you can't control it.

The thing about finishing up your career in a World Cup is that it can come to an end very suddenly. The biggest headline tonight isn't that Jonny's career is over, its that Ireland are out of the WC, it doesn't seem fair bit the same happened to Rory Best in 2019, Pauline in 2015 and Woodie all the way back in 2003. Same with Dan Biggar and Wales today.

Advertisement