Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

The voice of a proud Irish man! This is why normal intelligent people can’t tolerant SF. Posts like this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

We’ll be bringing it to the Aviva next year.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Thoughts of what could have been. Prayers for all the people suffering in war torn countries. Hoping for peace. Sad that people that claim to be Irish are pleased that Ireland rugby team lost. That’s what’s in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Sure ye can just reset the clock like ye always do and convince yerselves it will happen for ye in four years time.

Feel especially bad for FG tonight, they had big plans for the Zombie anti SF push.

• Advertisement

Never voted FG in my life. Never will vote for SF in my life.

SF will do what they always have done. Nowt, except excuse good republicans.

Lets hope the GAA embrace Zombie, be awesome to hear it at an all Ireland Final

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hoping for peace?

What are rugby fans, and I'm one of them, doing getting involved in this stuff?

Stick to the game and you'll find no one is happy Ireland lost tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DC77

To those of us in the North, she is a foreigner. And her being a foreigner is the main gripe we have of her (one sided) commentary on what went on here.

I'm Irish, but a very different Irish than those from the south. Thats just reality. Rory McIllroy articulated this very well. Culturally our experiences are very different. We share an island, but that's it. 100 years, that's five generations of difference.

I couldn't tell you about anything politically that goes on in the south. When Gerry Adams went down south he disappeared from our screens. Essentially he went abroad,

Stephen Nolan once did a cross border show with this comic from the south (he had an Irish language name, cant recall it) and the difference was stark. Theres just a surface level understanding, as opposed to a shared lived experience.

I've a great clip of Joe Brolly talking about this "totally different experience" (and his comment on the southern orthodoxy of criticising northern nationalists) but I cant yet post the link on here as a new member.

I didn’t think this thread could get any weirder. She was not a foreigner. If you look at a map you will find Limerick is in Ireland. About 180 miles from the border.

was the comic Hectar or Tommy Tiernan? I don’t think I could tolerate watching Stephen Nolan.

mid you couldn’t tell what is going on south of the border, don’t pick up ROI paper, watch the odd RtE news, what on earth are you doing getting involved in this post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

After tonight, I hope they replace it with Linger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

you ask why I am getting involved. Because twisted individuals are turned a somewhat catchy rock/pop song into something it’s not.

Finding offence and trying to excuse IRA murder.

their relentless posting needs to met with opposition. Otherwise their “truth” becomes accepted.

life is quite simple. All Sports are good. Sporting Competition is good. Murder is not.

its just a song. And if you go all the way back to page 2, 3 or 4 before the tsunami of shinbots postings, this thread was done.

many people including me can’t stomach the relentless tripe that’s being posted here

I don't support SF either, so not sure at what you're trying to say.

Its slim pickings in the North as it's essentially tribal politics.

Regards "Zombie", i will confess there is some relief Ireland lost tonight at the first (real) hurdle as that song would have become associated with a success. Very very rare (in fact probably never) that I've had mixed emotions over an Ireland team losing. Thinking back to all the previous RWC (from '91 onward) I was gutted everytime we went out, but this time there was almost nothing.

In contrast to such a divisive song, "Put Em Under Presure" was a great unifier (also connected to a sport that represents all classes, but that's another debate)...plus it is an actual song related to what goes on on the field of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The only positive on a bad night for Irish sport is that we dont have to suffer that bastàrd song or the sheep bleating it anymore.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

All I know about rugby is it's not played by lads who have their dinner in the middle of the day.

Lads your an embarrassment. It’s a pop song that you twisted into more than it was ever meant to be by Twits on twitter.

SF bot boys doubled and doubled down again, to the point that a crappy English paper has it on its website. Well done you.

normal people enjoyed you being uncomfortable and watching megamanboobs Et al Relentless nonsensical postings.

now your rejoicing in Ireland losing so you don’t have to listen to a pop song.

Proud Irish people indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,818 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Is that a joke ?

Limerick have won 5 All Ireland's in the last 6 years and Zombie was definitely played.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure 2018 being Limerick winning coupled with Dolores death was the start of The Cranberries as an Irish sports band

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mmm, is that a joke? What do you think?

Zombie at a rugby match is a problem. But ok at GAA?

• Advertisement

100% agree with you here.

As I alluded to a previous post, its almost fitting that such a divisive song (and one that has raised up old feelings/emotions long since buried) is used by fans at rugby, a class based game. I still like my rugby, albeit it's a different sport to when its was in its heyday when it was less attritional/brutish and had more open running play.

The contrast with a provocative (and exceptionally ignorant) song in "Zombie" and a joyous, unifying anthem in "Put Em Under Pressure" couldn't be starker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Fair play to you for restraining yourself from typing what you really wanted to type, which was "sheeple".

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

I don't buy this lived experience nonsense with respect to IRA atrocities. What part of a northern republican's lived experience informed them it was ok to move on from defending their community from attack (close to 100% Irish support north and south) to attacks on British forces (still fairly unanimous) to farmers part time in the UDR (starting to get a bit hairy) to blowing up a boat to kill an 80 year old man when 7 other innocent people got on the boat? The vast majority of people north and south know what is disgusting. The rest are the zombies Delores was singing about.

Agreed. As a northern Irish fella, I can’t see how anyone can condone shooting, knee capping, bombing anyone.

I lived daily with the English army pointing guns at me as I went to school in my fenian school uniform. Stopping my mum in a car at a RUC/UDR checkpoints and aiming their guns at a 10 year old

But, Still can’t condone anyone planting bombs.

Seriously confused why so many people on this thread can find offence with a song that says killing innocent kids is not ok.

I should have been clearer, I went to Windsor Park yes, but never to support NI. Im Irish, not northern Irish. I support the ROI (the Irish tricolour, which existed before partition, is my flag). I went maybe 10 times in total, most of which were club games (friendlies involving English teams)...three other times involved NI (vs ROI, Portugal and Austria). I do tell a lie though as there was one time I supported NI and that was against Austria, as it helped the ROI to finish 2nd in the group.

Similar to the rugby team I'd love to see a united Ireland football team (as did George Best as it happens).

The united Ireland question is much more debatable. When you are young and idealistic then yeah, of course. Personally cant see it in my lifetime.

Yes it was Hector (his Irish surname is quite a mouthful if I recall). Tommy is great btw. Yes i watch RTE, never the news though (doesn't affect us).

And yes, she's a foreigner (to us in the North she is). She's an intruder, an outsider, a carpetbagger when it comes to thinking she can be a commentater (and a one sided southerner at that) for what went on here. So she was on a tour bus and heard something on the radio...GTFOOH.. we lived it, daily.

I think she was sincere, albeit ignorant (knowing little about the subject), arrogant (thiinking she could speak on behalf of us) and narcissistic (yes let's make it about me). To be fair alot of these 'artists' have these traits.

Now unless you actually know the subject you are talking about, a simple anti war song? Absolutely fill yer boots, we'd all get behind that.

😂 ...you sage. That little nugget deserves to be saved for posterity.

"80% neck" is the best description of a modern rugby player I think i've come across. The calories they now have to consume every day is immense. Bigger, broader, and more brutish, they've destroyed the game as spectacle. It used to just be South Africa who were brutish and awful to watch, now generally speaking they all are. It's become an arm wrestle contest as opposed to the more open running/passing game it once was. The Aussie public have ditched the sport for this reason (they contrast RU with the infinitely more attacking and skill based NRL, so it's status there now is hardly a surprise).

Oh for the days of O'Driscoll, D'Arcy and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the growth in voter numbers says otherwise.

they are going to be your next government all willing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

their truth is thee truth, so it's already accepted.

• Advertisement

it wasn't sf supporters who had an issue with the song, it was anti-sf types who had an issue with the song, because a couple of twitter posters didn't cause the outrage that was hoped for.

Advertisement