Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby world cup post mortem

• 14-10-2023 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Great effort and Ireland's best world cup performance wise

What a game for the casual viewers!

Ireland needed the set piece to work well and it didn't. Well targeted by Nz. Congrats to them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

will you ever f off already and let people grieve!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

It's too early to grieve, that's step 5!

The stages of emotional healing can be broken down into seven steps – awareness, acknowledgment, acceptance, feeling the pain, grieving, forgiveness, and moving forward. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

What part of our set piece didn’t work?

Were you watching the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Not putting on Crowley is in my opinion a pretty monumental mistake. I also thought, JGP and Doris got very solidly outplayed by their counterparts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It is our equal best world cup performance, another f'n 1/4 final defeat.

It is embarrassing at this stage, and not to be celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

Bottom line is our best ever team couldn't get it done against what was being called the weakest NZ team in recent memory with a terrible coach with one foot out the door. Irish pundits all week saying ridiculous things like only 2 all blacks would make our team and how they won't be able to handle our physicality. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

First twenty minutes was a disaster, same against South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ignacius

before the match , I was looking at New Zealand rugby forums and they were all hoping for Wayne Barnes to be the ref. I know why now. He gave crucial calls to the all blacks, especially at the start of the game.

Post edited by Ignacius on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Does anyone know how this QF result affects our rating are we still No 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

We just can't handle the occasion every tournament. We find some way of not performing. I think they need to start looking into more professional people involved in sports psychology and plan to peak in the world cup not a year or two before. I feel sick tonight. I genuinely thought we were good enough to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The lineout and we gave away 3 scrum penalties. Did you watch the game?

No one should care about that anymore we are out of the world cup.

The New Zealand coaches got the game plan absolutely spot on. They had to get everything 100% right to beat us which is unbelievable. New Zealand looked so fresh, Ireland looked like a team that had played South Africa & Scotland in previous weeks.

Think New Zealand have it in the bag, winner of the other 2 QF will have to go to the well 3 weeks in a row.

But absolutely heartbreaking for us, they left nothing in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ribs1234

After that offside performance, I’m done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Another glorious defeat. Am off to write a song

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

Anyone who thinks that Joe Schmidt's just one of the back room staff and isn't calling the shots is delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Harsh in the extreme to criticise that team, we were excellent. All Blacks found a level they haven't got to in a long time to beat us. Ireland are comfortably within the top 4 teams in this WC, not getting too hung up on this QF thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Bang on I think. NZ are clinical in these type of matches, they got the basics right and just looked sharper. We had our chances and could have won the bloody thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Wow just wow a calamity of errors.

Our Lineouts. Shocking. Scrums shocking. The amount of turnovers.

I really have to question sexton kicking this game the times he kicked just didn't need it.

We just fell asleep defensively twice. Barrett chip and Jordan's try. You can't do that at this level.

To give the all blacks back possession with 9 mins to go via a knock on in midfield with ZERO pressure. Dear God.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Farrell should get the P45

O’Gara must be under consideration by the IRFU a at this stage given another WC failure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Zero chance farrell is gone unless he wants to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seaninbayarea

Great game. Hope NZ make it to the final and have a similar battle with SA or France, preferably France. Well played New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

Don't rely on a 38 year old out half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hopefully justice will be done and our fantastic bandwagoners I mean supporters will get an award as the most loveable friendliest supporters in the whole world .Sure everybody loves us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭andyd12

Agreed. Sexton was standing still receiving every ball.

Mo'unga wasnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

Should have kicked for three at start with sigh sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

This was a cracking game. Could have easily gone the other way. Just like the SA game.

NZ were excellent. They produced a couple MOM to create some excellent tries.

Ireland were also good. But some weakness in our set piece cost us in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The foundations of Irish rugby with the provinces is very strong. We'll get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

They were nearer in '91 than now. Def should have taken 3 at the start, it was NZ and not Namibia or someone, next thing 13-0 down and game nearly over, poorish missed penalty too, that was 6 points and the match winning difference, hindsight but still. One of the worst NZ teams ever against possibly the greatest Ireland team ever, think losing to SA would have been a better result. Like the soccer world cups often the team that starts poorish and keeps improving goes further than the ones that blow out the lights early on, same in the hurling with Limerick this year. The draw was a disaster so maybe in 4yrs a worse team will go further but by then who knows what Wales/Scotland/OZ etc will be like, possibly much stronger, but who knows. In fairness they died with the boots on but a massive opportunity missed. Also would Argentina have then caught them off guard in the semi, maybe not but would be like something that could have happened the way things go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭boomdocker

I am very doubtful after tonight. I just don't think we will ever do it. We will fcuk it up somehow. It's a bitter pill to swallow for Irish rugby tonight. We will be the laughing stock for the worldwide media but we deserve it until we win a QF in a World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Were you watching the game? Our scrum and lineout were a shambles from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Lol of all the reasons we lost that game, Sexton wasn't it. Some clowns in this thread who've never popped up before but I've no doubt they'd be polluting the ticket thread looking if we had got to a semi or final.

On the game: they played at 100% of their potential, we played at 90% and that's the difference. We weren't clinical enough in the periods vs 14 & we made some errors, the Doris knock on, at crucial times. A malfunctioning line out, yet again, was also another tick in the negative column. I'm heartened by the fact that for the first time in a long time an Irish team showed up in a QF and were within a kick at the business end. Make no mistake, NZ will know they were in a game.

We'll get there, no doubt. It's just going to take a little longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Farrell should go. International coaches should be judged on World Cup performance, and a quarter final exit for this team is a colossal failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats sport for you.

Sometimes the best team has an off-day and loses. It happens in all sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Look folks time for just a little bit of reality after a couple of single malts.

There is a small wafer between Ireland, NZ, SA and France. The others are way behind atm.

We squeaked past SA, got squeaked by NZ and even if we had beaten NZ we were going to have to squeak past France or SA again having dispatched Argentina.

Statistically to win 3 x 50:50 games is pretty tricky.....and the history is largely irrelevant, different time, different players etc. I don't buy the bottlers thing.

It was always going to be bloody tricky.

I think the best thing NZ did tonight was their short kicking game which caused no end of problems and was no doubt Uncle Joe so hats off to him.

But if we had sneaked it at the end we would all be lauding Farrell.

Margins are so so tiny at this level.

Thanks to all of the lads, it's been brilliant and we go again. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

TRC is just doing his usual.

Loves it when an Irish side loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭conquestscarer

Look sure, atleast we aren't as obese, divorced, hairless, and depressed as Ewan Mackenna tonight. One positive of the game.

Nah some are just prepared to face reality and point out uncomfortable truths.

If you think I'm happy, you're very mistaken

Forgot to mention the alcohol dependency aswell! silly me.

And no team in sport has as many off days on the most important days as the Irish rugby team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Thought that the ref giving a penalty for Connor Murray using his arms as he moved to compete for a ball in the air near the end was very harsh. Allowed the New Zealand team to have a four point lead in the closing stages of the match and they knew just not conceding a try would give them the win. Always was going to be a tight game and a few more bits of luck going Ireland's way could have seen them win and face an Argentina team that did not look that much better than Wales in the other quarter final. Fine margins win games and New Zealand had a very good match in defending well and scored when they had opportunities. Would have liked to see Kilcoyne on sooner in the second half to help the scrum and Crowley to change the Irish attack a bit but hard to not just credit New Zealand with a good win and good luck to them.

If you think Farrell should get sacked off the back of a 4 point loss to the all blacks you should probably get a lobotomy. Developed into arguably the best coach we have had. Didn't get a mickey mouse draw of Argentina in the world cup either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

And the scrum. Not sure what game the poster you quoted was watching?

• Advertisement
Advertisement