Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Or headbutt them

The big thing the more casual fans need to realise is top 14 (playoffs especially) that one HEC game a year the odd six nations decider and rwc knockouts are another level to everything else entirely.

We have coped that what wins between rwc cycles may not be enough at rwcs and took the more time together to our advantage to develope a very sophisticated attacking style that needs a lot of practice in order to make up the deficits in power skill and dare I say natural talent that we have compared to France SA and NZ. I feared it would fall apart come RWC and it didn't although there were some moments. Funnily enough we were undone this time by the more basic stuff ball security kicking game chase and lineout scrums which is probably a bit of neglect or opposition having 3 months prep to dial theirs in more.

The stuff Schmitt used hammer home but we didn't emphasise as much in this cycle is what undid us but then I'd if we kept just doing that we'd be out of the pool/playing France tomorrow or losing by 20-30 tonight.

We need to keep making progress in depth/talent/athletisism/size that way we can get the balance right of what gets emphasised on the training pitch.

NZ did little in the past year only get their fundamentals right and keep backing their talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

I don't know how you could read my comment and think I was under the impression that this game was representative of the quality of both sides. I literally said we didn't play our best. NZ did. Both teams playing our best and we're more than capable of beating this NZ team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Mistakes.

We made mistakes and that was the losing of the game.

Some forced some not.

Doris knock on. Jgp ‘pass’ to POM. Sexton missed kick.

The great thing about rugby is that the bettet team normally wins. NZ the better team.

The RWC final is on tomo at 8pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Beirne had a great game.

Job was flawless.

Porter emptied the tank, and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

Tradition, culture & success at the highest level breeds real confidence.

The All Blacks remind me of the Kilkenny hurlers, they might not always win the main big prize but the players never ever feel inferior to their opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,117 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Two things I said and I am not a player or even remotely an expert,

Win the breakdown and don’t kick the ball to them. And we didn’t protect the breakdown and kicked the ball to them needlessly and worse- aimlessly

Porter was poor in the scrum. Very poor. Costing us dearly. Cmon man. Constructive criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If they win the world cup they are the best team in the world...not a bad team lol

Edit: everyone knows of the hyperbole they come up with

In fairness unless they win 3 grand slams in the next 4 years there's no achievement they can keep banging on about ...no matter how well they do and I expect success but feet will be back closer to ground even by the media.

An NZ tour will never happen again an SA tour isn't as formidable given their mid cycle form

I know. You're right. But the granny rule is tenuous enough too. A parent fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I agree to a point. Our lineout wasn’t good enough. That’s been ongoing for 2 months now and cost us dearly (they scored a try off one of our lost lineouts). I’d be critical of that. It wasn’t an execution thing on the night, it’s been a system weakness which we didn’t manage to solve despite different personnel calling and throwing.

NZ managed to slow our ruck ball and make it a mess on the night. They brought an intelligent kicking game and found space behind our defensive line. You have to give them credit, they managed to disrupt our game plan and were clinical with their chances (they scored 3 tries almost out of nothing).

We made errors, but I’d put that down to the scoreboard pressure NZ managed to put on us and some of the slow messy ball we were trying to play with. We were constantly chasing the game.

I don’t think we left anything out there. NZ were near flawless, came with a gameplan to disrupt us at source, executed it perfectly and sucker punched us a few times with superbly taken scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Wonder if New Zealand would take back the loss in the friendly series last summer in exchange for losin tonight.

yep, thought not.

that dvd can go in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Absolutely gutted. Really hard defeat to take.

For me, the Irish team's levels are so high that with maybe 4 max of the team playing to their level, they lost by 4 to an AB team playing to the max of their ability.

I agree. But at least there is some heritage there.

I can guarantee you that if there were any irish born and reared players playing for a top 4 country bar ireland we would be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Let’s never forget all the talk on here about easier quarter finals, meeting South Africa in the final and having the edge after the group game and even some shite today about cruising past Argentina

such **** spoofers the lot of you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Not only that, but no real replacement for Sexton (80 mins for a 38 year old who didn't do much in the 2nd half is just silly). No real replacement for Porter, a token 5 mins for Kilcoyne.

Our squad must be very poor in Farrell's eyes, as he stuck to his tried and tested 23 (in reality only 20 or 21 players) for the majority of this tournament.

There was no need to play a lot of these guys against both Romania and Tonga, that was foolish management.

Agreed. Posted same earlier in the week. How Cody's 2022 Kilkenny ran Limerick to 2 pts and Limerick way superior on paper.

Shows how good Limerick are to defy the traditional big 3. I know they had their own tradition from the 30s, but nothing like the big 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Reasonable take, and I'll agree that NZ were fantastic and caused us all sorts of problems. But for me:

too many uncharacteristic errors,

too many missed opportunities for points (I'm still rueing the fact that we left at least 6-9 points worth of penalties out there),

too many unprotected rucks,

the list goes on.

And so much of that is down to us, not NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

Fair post, but have to completely disagree with you on point 4, because if that game tonight is what passes for a classic game of rugby, then the game is finished. Maybe you’re young , but take a look at the Welsh team in the 70’s, or France/Australia 87 WC, NZ/England 95 WC or France/NZ 1999 & 2007. Those were classic games of Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Reading the comments of many neutrals elsewhere, they have it down as one of the great knockout RWC games....totally enthralling in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

Lessons learned from 2023 RWC, if we beat a top international team like the All Blacks in an autumn international or series we shouldn't go on to think we are the best like we have from 2018-2023. Ireland rugby has ticked every box except two ones. 1. Advance past the quarter final stage of RWC and 2. Win the World Cup. Number 2 might not happen but they should focus on number one. I just don't know how after tonight's result?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,750 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is ZERO doubt this Irish would have smashed Argentina. ZERO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if NZ go on to win this now. They just got over a big hurdle and are trending upwards.

Wouldn’t be surprised either if Southern Hemisphere SFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Has to be the most rugby supporter summation I've ever heard.

There's a reason it doesn't spill over after a defeat in the rugby like it does in the soccer or even GAA. Not because the guys are amazeballs, it's because the fanbase doesn't care as much. It will all be forgotten tomorrow amongst the rugby fraternity.

And the faux positivity will kick start again next February/March as if nothing happened. Rinse and repeat.

A marginal 1-2 series loss might have been more of a blessing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

We need ROG back as player manager. He wudnt have missed that pen that Johnny did and I don’t want an English man as manager. Sack Farrell now and bring in ROG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,117 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

All completely logical.

Not sure of your angle. We won 17 games on the trot, saw off the World champions, that entitles you to be confident and to look forward.

I knew it could all tumble with a defeat and almost all if not all posters knew that.

What point are you trying to make? We shouldn’t have been confident? That’s wee boy bollix to be honest

Advertisement