Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

The < 150 post clowns are out in force tonight.

Who gives a **** what you think.

Rubbish post. People rationalise in all sorts of ways after a hard defeat. Say it's only sport etc.

GAA and Soccer fans aren't some sort of superior breed that go into mourning for 6 mts. BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You know one of those scenes in a war movie where someone is just walking around aimlessly staring into the distance totally not tuned in?

That's me right now on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well I’m sure they can console themselves in the fact they’ve won one while our lot can’t get past a QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Most teams that have broken curses have had to assemble a team oustanding enough to overcome the mental baggage such a curse brings red Sox and Cubs come to might.

Mayo arguably have never put out a team out and out better on paper than their finals opponent.. same with the Bills. Contrary to what people were saying we were not that out and out on paper before tonight that people suggested.

That said with rankings the top 5 in the world presuming England get their act together looks locked in for while ..nasty draws a far less likely

• Advertisement

That's true.

What's also true is they are the most underachieving international team in history taking into account their player pool and resources. So I wouldn't exactly be geeing myself up as an English rugby fan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

As expected the pathetic creatures flood the forum to gain pleasure from the disappointment of genuine fans. I hope yous enjoy it because there's obviously not much else positive in your lives.

I'm devastated after the loss and feel quite uncertain about where we'll be in 4 years time with the age profile of this team. Aside from the retiring players, how many of the lads in their late 20s will be able to match their current form when they hit that 32/33/34 age?

Hopefully we can build to new heights around a core of guys like Sheehan, Doris, Keenan, Ryan etc. Some great talent coming through in munster too which will hopefully be breaking through.

Now... Allez les Bleus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

This is the thing we could be stuck in a "who's our best 10" doom loop for a while ..either if it's Crowley or Sam or who ever they won't have matured into a world class 10 in 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 17,606 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was a tough defeat to take, really sickening. Makes the rest of the tournament and all the constant RWC related ads that will continue to play a hard watch now, what could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Need to get a serious coach like O’Gara in to actually make a difference where it matters ie the World Cup

After exiting the 2007 WC we had won one Grand Slam in 1948.

We have 3 more now 2009, 2018 and 2023.

We won back to back U20 Grand Slams this year. And other U20 titles in the period.

Our U20s were beaten in two World Cup finals in 2016 and 2023.

Since 2007 Leinster have claimed 4 ERC titles to add to Munster's 2 and Ulster's 1.

The great thing about sport is there are always new tournaments and 2027 will roll around. Players like Earls, POM, Sexton, Bundee have no more shots at a World Cup. But half, at least, of the panel do. They'll be joined by a batch of young men maturing by the day.

In 2019 Doris, Sheehan, Hansen, Keenan etc were unknown at international level. 2027 will have similar new talent.

To quote Ted Kennedy in 1980:

'For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die'.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

Read the posts on here over the last week. You can count on one hand how many thought NZ could win and countless posts saying NZ are a spent force, we're battle hardened and they will be undercooked, we'll physically have too much for them, people making a combined team where only 1 or 2 all blacks make it in. It was nothing but unrestrained confidence and you could say arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't think even NZ fans were confident about their own chances tonight, so it's a bit harsh to describe Irish fans as arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Forgetting sport, our country allows anyone with an Irish granny to get a passport. I don't think it's tenuous either. My brother lives in London with his Irish wife. Their kids are thus very Irish in lots of ways. Their kids kids will be entitled to passports and entitled to play for Ireland in sport. That is only right. You can't compare that to lads landing in a country they've never been to and know nothing of in their 20s and playing for that country 3 years later. Only right that rule has been changed.

If only we could bottle that New Zealand killer mentality in Lucozade Sport bottles.

They might be the worst New Zealand team in several decades but they have it upstairs - they fear absolutely nobody, ever.

New Zealand couldn't give a bollocks about world rankings because in their head they're always #1.

Meanwhile in Ireland, we write ballads about winning a glorified friendly in Chicago seven years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Who was over-confident on beating the NZ? Maybe people that don’t follow rugby and came along for the ride.

regardless of what world rankings say it’s was clear to anyone that NZ, SA, France and Ireland were playing the best rugby and any of these teams could beat each other on the night as there isn’t much between any of the teams.

Same as any sporting forum. Some talk up when they aren't all that confident.

And if really believing something fair play for saying it out. It shouldn't be used as a stick to beat them.

Also, about 80% of posters had fears of the All Blacks, and said it. If you were on the GAA forum when Kerry were playing Dublin a few Kerry felt they'd win. Did you reprimand them? Maybe you should.

• Advertisement

Legal and all having a granny isn't a strong enough connection for me either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Any pundits I've seen back Ireland said it would be a narrow win, I remember listening to the Second Captains at the start of the tournament and Scotty Stevenson was giving out to Trimble and Horgan for negative about Ireland's chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ireland gave 110% yet were smashed. We did extremely well to keep the game close. You can blame small margins but we were lucky to be within those margins, just like La Rochelle did to Leinster, the All Blacks smashed Ireland up front, you can dance around the edges but that was the game. Ireland were not at the races athletically .

Exactly this.

You can be sure there wasn't anything being taken for granted in the Irish dressing room, or in AB one either. The fact they went for two kicks off of penalties inside our 20 shows you the respect they have for us.

Irish fans might have been confident, but that's only because this team gave them plenty of reason to be.

Most disappointing for me was we didn't bring our A, or even B+, game. Started poorly in another QF. That will linger with the team and management.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Also, about 80% of posters had fears of the All Blacks, and said it

I've been following social media and radio all week and in no way did 80% of Irish fans have fears of the all blacks.

I'd say it's more accurate to say 20% of fans had fears of all blacks and maybe 20% of those had the confidence to say it 🙂

80% of the people I met had fears. My 90 year old mother even said to me it's going to end tonight, I don't think we can beat them in a WC.

Pub in Portlaoise at lunch today spoke with 5 or 6 men. 1 thought Ireland would win.

England are in a bad, bad place. But they’ll more than likely be in another SF, which is more than our lot have EVER achieved. We can have all the moral victories in the world but that doesn’t change the facts

By the luck of the draw.

But hey, whatever makes you happy. Drape yourself in the Georges Cross and off with you to whatever the UK version of Boards is, not sure what you're getting out of posting here only to wind people up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That one was almost tougher to take that when they just bombed out in the QF's.

It was there for them to win even though they were a good bit short of their best. Literally held up over the line in the last 5 minutes or so. Very small margins sadly.

Advertisement