Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

Read the posts on here over the last week. You can count on one hand how many thought NZ could win and countless posts saying NZ are a spent force, we're battle hardened and they will be undercooked, we'll physically have too much for them, people making a combined team where only 1 or 2 all blacks make it in. It was nothing but unrestrained confidence and you could say arrogance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't think even NZ fans were confident about their own chances tonight, so it's a bit harsh to describe Irish fans as arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Forgetting sport, our country allows anyone with an Irish granny to get a passport. I don't think it's tenuous either. My brother lives in London with his Irish wife. Their kids are thus very Irish in lots of ways. Their kids kids will be entitled to passports and entitled to play for Ireland in sport. That is only right. You can't compare that to lads landing in a country they've never been to and know nothing of in their 20s and playing for that country 3 years later. Only right that rule has been changed.

If only we could bottle that New Zealand killer mentality in Lucozade Sport bottles.

They might be the worst New Zealand team in several decades but they have it upstairs - they fear absolutely nobody, ever.

New Zealand couldn't give a bollocks about world rankings because in their head they're always #1.

Meanwhile in Ireland, we write ballads about winning a glorified friendly in Chicago seven years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Who was over-confident on beating the NZ? Maybe people that don’t follow rugby and came along for the ride.

regardless of what world rankings say it’s was clear to anyone that NZ, SA, France and Ireland were playing the best rugby and any of these teams could beat each other on the night as there isn’t much between any of the teams.

• Advertisement

Same as any sporting forum. Some talk up when they aren't all that confident.

And if really believing something fair play for saying it out. It shouldn't be used as a stick to beat them.

Also, about 80% of posters had fears of the All Blacks, and said it. If you were on the GAA forum when Kerry were playing Dublin a few Kerry felt they'd win. Did you reprimand them? Maybe you should.

Legal and all having a granny isn't a strong enough connection for me either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Any pundits I've seen back Ireland said it would be a narrow win, I remember listening to the Second Captains at the start of the tournament and Scotty Stevenson was giving out to Trimble and Horgan for negative about Ireland's chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ireland gave 110% yet were smashed. We did extremely well to keep the game close. You can blame small margins but we were lucky to be within those margins, just like La Rochelle did to Leinster, the All Blacks smashed Ireland up front, you can dance around the edges but that was the game. Ireland were not at the races athletically .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Exactly this.

You can be sure there wasn't anything being taken for granted in the Irish dressing room, or in AB one either. The fact they went for two kicks off of penalties inside our 20 shows you the respect they have for us.

Irish fans might have been confident, but that's only because this team gave them plenty of reason to be.

• Advertisement

Most disappointing for me was we didn't bring our A, or even B+, game. Started poorly in another QF. That will linger with the team and management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Also, about 80% of posters had fears of the All Blacks, and said it

I've been following social media and radio all week and in no way did 80% of Irish fans have fears of the all blacks.

I'd say it's more accurate to say 20% of fans had fears of all blacks and maybe 20% of those had the confidence to say it 🙂

80% of the people I met had fears. My 90 year old mother even said to me it's going to end tonight, I don't think we can beat them in a WC.

Pub in Portlaoise at lunch today spoke with 5 or 6 men. 1 thought Ireland would win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

England are in a bad, bad place. But they’ll more than likely be in another SF, which is more than our lot have EVER achieved. We can have all the moral victories in the world but that doesn’t change the facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

By the luck of the draw.

But hey, whatever makes you happy. Drape yourself in the Georges Cross and off with you to whatever the UK version of Boards is, not sure what you're getting out of posting here only to wind people up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That one was almost tougher to take that when they just bombed out in the QF's.

It was there for them to win even though they were a good bit short of their best. Literally held up over the line in the last 5 minutes or so. Very small margins sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I've compiled a complete list of all Irish head rugby coaches who were sacked after a poor World Cup performance:

Hope you enjoyed the list. Perhaps that and the IRFU's goals are the issue.

• Never ever posted on this forum, have not even read the comments but I will say this.

That group are warriors, they need to stick together, they have given the country such a lift over the last year - a team we all united behind and believe in. I had full belief in them coming through today, it was gut wrenching watching the final whistle blow, but the lads did us proud. I've never seen as many young fellas in rugby tops, joining clubs and insprired. So much commentary from all quarters, everyone engaged.

keep going - keep er lit. Believe. Resilience. Mental toughness. We learn. We go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The group is the 2nd oldest squad in the RWC, they can't stick together. This was their chance and it's gone.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

No getting away from the fact the draw just never sat well.

If the Scotland game was 2 weeks ago we would have had better recovery time.

And a quarter final against the likes of Scotland, Wales, Fiji or Argentina would be a different proposition entirely.

Having said that I though we needed to switch out a few of the older players going down the stretch.

And we lost by a single score, with Argentina not being the toughest opponents the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'm not convinced we would have won the RWC anyway, even if we had somehow gotten through tonight. The team looked out on their feet at the end and perhaps a hint that the tournament was starting to slip away from us, win, lose or draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

What a condescending ass, it’s a message board buddy. Sounds like you might have had one too many tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

All that's missing is a paragraphs about our resilient tech sector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I suppose we will never know. On a different day we would have won tonight.

We got 2 softish yellow cards. One in a failed attempt to stop an inevitable try and another for a fingertip deliberate knock on.

But you are right, we were out on our feet, in certain positions, but management left lads warming the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

Spoken like a wet wipe

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

Yoo’d be the first one if the roles were reversed and it was England lost to NZ and Ireland were were drawn to play Fiji, saying luck of the draw is just excuses, excuses.

He’s right England will comfortably make it to the semi finals, maybe further.

Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

The draw didn't help but we weren't the only ones that had it tough. Look at it from NZ's point of view. They had the hosts in their pool and then the world #1 on a 17 game winning run in the QF. SA have to deal with a France side at home that topped their pool. France have to face a SA team that smashed NZ a few weeks ago and could have topped their pool if they had a reliable kicker. We had the easiest task of the top 4 (on paper) of having to get past the world #4 that lost their previous 2 games against top opposition (France & SA)

If we were to win this World Cup, you would imagine it would come off the back off an impressive and resilient QF win, not one where we chasing the game from start to finish and making numerous unforced errors. Tonight's match would certainly have thrown up a load of questions marks had we gotten through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tbm

The guff out of some of the posters here. Unreal.

This was my nightmare scenario. Lose narrowly, playing pretty well, against a quality team in another quarter final. Apparently being called a ‘**** Richie McCaw’ bothered Sam Cane a bit. He was unreal tonight, and we were slightly below out recent standard because NZ were maniacs in defence. This team are not bottlers. They are great and have given me so much joy the last few years. Andy Farrell has done everything right. Prepared the team incredibly well, and the age profile was bang on for a World Cup. Youth and experience. But the horrible fact is it doesn’t matter. World Cups aren’t everything, but again we couldn’t get past the last 8.

Haunted.

Advertisement