Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I never said it was Genocide. The onus is on Israel to prevent innocent deaths and 700+ dead kids to me looks like they doing a piss poor job. All those points don't explain why Israel would turn off water, power, food and medicine to 2 million people. Maybe you can explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Quick google what are you on about.

Not sure where you got 6000 ordnances but not bombs , Ive posted elsewhere the 2000lb JDAMs being prepared to be loaded on to aircraft,and pretty much the current Loadout for Israelis aircraft during the last week has been 2000lb JDAM bombs ,

(Reminds me something about JDAMs )

Meanwhile in Qatar Iran's foreign minister meeting with the head of hamas who live in Qatar,not gaza or the West bank but safe and sound in qutar, both seem very happy to see each other

Can you answer my other questions?

6000 ordnances is what the Israeli forces have said they have dropped.

Just because you have seen 2000lb bombs being loaded onto a plane, doesn't mean every plane has dropped the same. Or are you saying they give the warning knock with a 2000lb bomb? Seems a little extreme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 RonanDonegal1989

The laggan is in Donegal ya eejit 😂Perhaps you are getting confused with the Lagan valley in Belfast?

What a weird digression, some people really see conspiracies everywhere......

I would say there a few believers in the Rothschild conspiracy on this thread.

I think your confused ,

Have you watched any of the videos at all

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

Quote?

I'll repeat them for you:

Do you believe some person in Moscow not being able to play his Xbox or buy an iphone, but can still get his diabetic medicine the same as the blockade in Gaza? I mean he can buy his iphone/xbox/medicine abroad and use it in Russia. Palestinians's cannot. Sanctions prevent countries sending stuff to a country. Israel is preventing Palestine getting them. Massive difference. Blockade ≠ Sanctions. Management have the right to refuse service!

Do you think Ukraine is right in bombing any Russian town or city and killing civilians as they were invaded?

I'm not sure how taking down an apartment saves civilians.... unless you feel the civilian lives in the apartment are worth less?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't have to explain it because I don't agree with it.

Also being factual, given the unprecedented amount of ordanance being dropped on Gaza, it's frankly a miracle more people have not been killed. And you are completely correct, today's death toll is absolutely not indictative of what the final death toll would be even if hostilities ended at this exact moment.

Human life is not cheap, and should never be considered cheap regardless of context.

But given the sustained, high intensity of bombing in such a dense urban population it's a miracle the figure is in the low thousands, awful as that is.

As I have said before, look at the Second World War, where in some cases up to 100 thousand were killed in a single bombing raid in a matter of hours as a result of genuine, indiscriminate bombing specifically targetting civilians.

War in all forms is utterly abhorrent. And I don't think - and I'm not saying you said this - that Israel takes any "joy" in this or has been "waiting for this day" as some people suggest. They are as sick and tired of death and war as anyone as a nation that has gone through existential wars multiple times.

Though a very good point was raised earlier about Israel's disasterous communications around this war, because regardless of their ultimate intention, which is clearly to eradicate Hamas, there's been vague statements, no clear aims, and completely unacceptable statements that more or less come across as a burning desire to inflict retribution in a general rather than targetted sense (ie, "We want to crush, destroy Hamas and seperate that vile ideaology from the Palestinian people of Gaza")

I would hope that this horrific mess will ultimately lead to a serious talk about a serious solution of a peaceful solution and future, but unfortunately it's not remotely possible with Hamas in the picture, no more than it would be realistic for the USA to sit at a table with ISIS.

• Advertisement

Your question was already answered,

Sanctions are collective punishment no and if or buts about it ,and yes people complained about businesss including food producers and pharmaceutical were still selling to the Russians.

Ukraine has already attacked Russian cities several as well documented and celebrated on the other thread as you well know,

So you think that they should risk hundreds of lives to search hundreds if not thousands trying to detain a single or multiple armed terrorists,

I'd imagine that if you were actually a soldier in an active warzone and you were actually tasked with attacking a building with an unknown number of heavyily armed terrorists inside would you Risk your life and the lifes of all your fellow soldiers or if you had the option to call in an airstrike which one are you choosing

Ukraine has not attacked and killed thousands of civilians. That was my point. Could you hold them up morally if they killed 2k civilians in Belgorod for example? Despite Russian declaring war on them, killing thousands of Ukrainians, kidnapping children, committing mass war crimes on them etc... Some would argue they would be justified.

But 2k civilians in Gaza, killed by Israel is different? You can still stand by Israel?

So the western word is committing war crimes against North Korea and Iran with their sanctions? That's collective punishment?

The EU is committing war crimes against Russia, that's how you wanna spin this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Germany had been one of the most civilized states in the world prior to them committing genocide. Then, through propaganda they portrayed a minority as less than human, animals, Untermenschen. You know the rest.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Some parallels between your neck of the woods and the current conflict.

During the 1641 rebellion the “Laggan Army” used atrocity propaganda with great effect to justify the massacre the Irish.

A completely fair point but Israel has never demonstrated even the vaguest inkling towards genocide.

One civilian death is one too many, I think most people would agree.

But less Palestinians have died in 7 decades then were killed in a few weeks in Germany's camp system.

That doesn't mean it's OK that Palestinian civilians have beem killed in the numbers they have but "genocide" is not an appropriate word. Inhumane, unacceptable, unjustified, whatever else, are all words I have zero issue with when people express their opinion.

Genocide is among the ultimate of despicable crimes, and let's not lose the meaning of the phrase, which is happening all too often these days. Israel hasn't done that, has never done that,and is not currently doing that.

That does not mean that criticism of Israel being too accepting of civilian deaths as collateral is not completely valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Interesting how my recent YouTube watches forward to Ben Shaprio videos.

I have no interest in Ben Shaprio's opinion. He is a zionist Jew.

How easy it is for people to get tripped up on war ,

I don’t agree.

Past Israeli cabinet members have called for genocide and present ones have called for Palestinian people to be wiped off the face of the earth and villages eradicated. Members of the current Israeli government share views about the Palestinians that are not dissimilar to views in 1930s Germany about minorities.

These people are in coalition government in Israel!

https://www.vox.com/world/2023/1/20/23561464/israel-new-right-wing-government-extreme-protests-netanyahu-biden-ben-gvir

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RonanDonegal1989

A more apt comparison surely would the Nazi Germany attempting to destroy the Jews in WW2 seeing as this is what Hamas explicitly want.

But yeah, great googling....Here is another massacre from the medieval times in Ireland completely unrelated to the current conflict:

"The Portadown massacre took place in November 1641 at PortadownCounty Armagh, during the Irish Rebellion of 1641. Irish Catholic rebels, likely under the command of Toole McCann, killed about 100 British Protestant settlers by forcing them off the bridge into the River Bann, and shooting those who tried to swim to safety. The settlers were being marched east from a prison camp at Loughgall. This was the biggest massacre of Protestants during the rebellion, and one of the bloodiest during the Irish Confederate Wars. The Portadown massacre, and others like it, terrified Protestants in Ireland and Great Britain, and were used to justify the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland and later to lobby against Catholic rights."

He's a piece of crap but he said something remarkably valid at some point.

Facts don't care about feelings.

It's a simple message but it's a powerful one.

Facts aren't opinion. They just are. I know some people abuse the concept of facts horrifically in any given debate but I personally loathe when people conflate the stating of facts with opinion or support of said fact.

• Advertisement

Not going to argue that, I will be perfectly honest, I'm not in the know about Israeli politics and wouldn't pretend to be, nor even like to offer an opinion. But I was speaking in terms of the overall state of Israel and historical precedent.

God knows if we cherry-picked the statements of specific members of our Oireachtas, cabinet or not, as representative of state policy you could paint a very unfortunate picture.

@Homelander

You are living in a fariytale.

Why's that? Or rather, why do you think that. Because honestly I would say I'm the polar opposite, I look at the world the exact way it is, not the way it should be.

I think the Iraq War was 97% off the back of US military intelligence. These US intelligence agencies were infiltrated by Zionists.

The Iraq invision coincidently benefited Israel.

OK? I have no issue with that being your opinion. I'm not even going to comment on it directly because it - internal American politics - is not an area I'm that knowledgable about and wouldn't pretend otherwise.

If it matters I don't support the Iraq invasion and quite frankly the alternative to Saddam has resulted in incalcuably more civilian casulties and directly gave rise to not only ISIS, but a wide spectrum of other issues.

That not I would actually endorse Saddam, flaming garbage that he was, but it was a case of chosing the **** over the shovel.

But the point I made remains. Israel is a major military powerhouse, staunchly pro-USA, incidentally with culture and society that reflects the Western world, in the Middle East, a rabidly anti-USA region.

You don't need to be Jewish to see the value in that from the USA point of view and it would be absurd to suggest otherwise. So I completely reject views that claim that US support for Israel stems purely from Jewish lobby groups.

I don't see how that makes me live in a fairytale world.

Believe it or not, Hamas’ explicit stated aim is not to destroy the Jews, whom Palestinians lived alongside for centuries, but with the Jewish state.

From their own charter stating their aims and beliefs:

“Hamas affirms that its conflict is with the Zionist project not with the Jews because of their religion. Hamas does not wage a struggle against the Jews because they are Jewish but wages a struggle against the Zionists who occupy Palestine.”

Obviously like all politicians/terrorists you can take what they say with a large dose of salt but unlike the Nazis, nowhere in their charter do they call for the “destruction of the Jews”.

Recent events however make that ring very hollow.

Yes, very relevant to the current conflict, especially this line.

”Though a supporter of British rule in Ireland, 19th century historian William Lecky wrote "it is far from clear on which side the balance of cruelty rests".

“The massacre featured prominently in English Parliamentarian atrocity propaganda in the 1640s, most famously in John Temple's The Irish Rebellion(1646). Temple used the massacres at Portadown and elsewhere to lobby for the military re-conquest of Ireland and the segregation of Irish Catholics from British Protestants.”

Fair point.

However that's an update to the previous charter which did call for the complete eradication of Israel as a state. And that is just not realistic and sets the framework for eternal conflict.

The current charter accepts the 1967 borders which is a radical departure from the older charter. And in itself I would imagine most people would find somewhat credible and reasonble.

So, fair enough, they have moderated their image in the past 15 odd years or whatever it is since the "modernisation" of their more hardline charter.

But combine that previous charter - the destruction of Israel - with last weekends offensive, which aimed at maximum civilian casulties.

I don't think it's any reach to see why people still see the prior charter as their real aims.

In Ireland we are bringing in these "Hate Speach" laws. A lot of talk about the Western world.

I think the Westerrn world needs a kick up the hole.

• Advertisement

Advertisement