Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

The guys posting here about Ireland being a bunch of chokers.....they're the real heroes. I for one salute their valiant opinions. Some might call them a bunch of bile inducing cowards, but not me. I know for sure, that if they had been out on that pitch, we would have had a different outcome. It sickens me that they are merely stuck behind a computer, only able to offer their sporting guidance from afar. For those who would claim that these "keyboard warriors" are nothing but a bunch of angry bitter cretins with atrocious breath, shame on you. These people are the ne plus ultra. They know how to win. They refuse to fail. They do not....make....mistakes.....ever! Please, step out from behind your laptops, teach us, lead us, save us, show us the way. Rise you flawless f*ckers. I am so proud of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

Big moments, big chances and they failed again. Interesting to see how the media fanboys paint this tomorrow. “Gallant Ireland, fall just short” or some such nonsense. Give it a rest, Scotland are allegedly 5th in the world and I doubt they’d win the Leinster Schools Cup.

And yet Ireland have never gone past the quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

15 players on the team lad.

3/15 = 20%.

In fairness them 3 did very well. Maybe if we got a full squad of them we’d have some hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Exactly, its a message board. And you'd think people might have something better to do than go trolling on a Saturday night. But clearly you don't. Maybe should try having one too many sometime, might make you tolerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Paidin Mhaire

I agree.

While it must be fantastic for this squad to have so many accomplished players from abroad participate, it does, at least for some of us dilute somewhat the degree to which we identity with the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

So what makes you think I’m trolling, I made a few valid points about Ireland’s loss and you think that’s trolling.

you’re obviously upset, as you just deemed to send me a disgusting PM that will get reported to the mods, maybe you lost money on the game, I don’t know, but it’s safe to say based on the content of the PM you just sent me, you have lot of anger issues.

What a lovely message you just sent to me there as a PM, what an upstanding citizen you are.

Your mother must be proud of you.

Will be blocking and reporting you, as anyone sending those kind of messages should be kicked off this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Paidin Mhaire

So what ?

The point is international rugby is a charade. National rugby unions being allowed to recruit worldwide according to their specific needs/ player deficits. Got the cash ? Get the player !

Interestingly, in this WC the IRFU have proven to be undisputed world champions in foreign player recruitment. Our outstanding players in the SA game were, to a man non-nationals. Players without whom the team in green would have been soundly spanked.

Ha Ha that is funny, ye got me there fairplay, we’ll keep trying though and we won’t have to wait 4 years either.

• Advertisement

You might be right, or as every good manager says you need a bit of luck going your way.

I remember the Bills in their 1st Super Bowl in 91 had a last second field goal to win it that hit the post and went wide, Mayo in one of their finals with Dublin scored 2 own goals in the one game, what were the odds of that in a game of Gaelic football.

Always felt Jack Charlton got the rub of the green during his reign as Ireland manager, certainly the seeding and selection of the different pools did Ireland no favours this time around, oh well there’s always 2027.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

So many terrible takes in this thread. We were a held up try away from a win. NZ press would have been full of the same overreactions as this thread, bemoaning their sloppy defense and stupid penalties.

Two moments defining the game, Jordan's try and the held up one. That's sport, it's **** cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Oh you're very special. All that passion.

S*** take, tbh. I'd wonder more about the type of person that takes the time to visit the discussion forums of a sport they don't respect in the wake of a significant defeat just to try and place themselves on some kind of imagined pedestal.

You do you though.

Your right 1950 & 51, 2 in a row I believe and then the curse struck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭phog

I haven't seen the game yet but that result was very disappointing, gutted for the lads that this is their last RWC and especially for Sexton & Earls, two huge servants for their province & country.

It seems we had lots of issues with scrum & lineout and then lost the kicking game. Very hard to win in those circumstances.

We played against 14 men for 20 mins and still came up short, that's unacceptable at this level.

I'm disappointed in Farrell not using Crowley, Sexton was clearly not 100% in the closing quarter and Farrell took a punt on him to try a catch a win after trailing all evening.

Another QF where we trail, gutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

Crazy to think that the winning of this world cup may have hinged on Jordi Barrett holding up Ronan Kelleher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Although Barrett mised one as well I think.

Barrett had a fantastic game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Greengrass53

Yeah from NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Saffer99

I actually went through the registration process for this one single post. As a Springbok supporter I just wanted to offer my condolences for what they're worth... And maybe a little advice.

The Boks may have had some success in the RWC, but we know the pain of having one of the best teams in the world but never lifting the trophy... In cricket.

We know what you guys are going through. Let's just hope, for the sake of tour team, that the powers that be aren't too hard on your coach who has done a bloody exceptional job. Truly. The sheer unity you have as a team and country is down to a number of factors, but not least the job that man has done. Don't be hard on him or the team. One game Sure it was a crunch game, but RWC is brutal in that way.

Us Bok supporters were looking forward to playing Ireland in the finals because even if we lift the trophy this year (and that's a big if given how France and the ABs are playing right now), we didn't get to beat Ireland. Ireland were absolutely the team to beat. You were the guys we've lost the most sleep about Some said marginal favourites, but I disagree. I would be willing to bet that the team would have learned enough from that single game to not repeat the mistakes that were made... Or capitalise on the ABs mistakes. Best of three would have been in Ireland's favour.

You have a fantastic team. I hope many will be around to play the next WC. You guys deserved the cup this year, it's just a pity it's not an annual compo like the footy Premier League. If it were, we'd have witnessed some serious record being demolished this year.

Holding thumbs that politicians don't break up a good thing like ours do when we lose a big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This talk of management needing a change is a total soccer reaction. The mistakes made last night were made on the pitch not the sideline.

Sextons chip over the top was braindead. He had missed an easy 3 before it and had lost his head.

The Doris knockon straight after being held up was a killer blow

Jgp pass selection, gave one to vdf as he was only getting up and isolated him for a turnover. Threw one to PoM that was intercepted.

All those errors gave away possession, killed momentum and coughed up territory.

The decisions taken on the sideline to make the changes they did almost won the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Not a Rugby fan at all really but felt I should match the game.

Thought Ireland were the better team quite clearly (though thought SA were vs Ireland as well). Just didn't execute well enough, especially in the first half.

Sexton is a true great, and I hope his missed kick doesn't haunt him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

Would hope that there's some form of recognition for Johnny and the team over the next few days. Doesn't have to be a big event. Brought us so many good memories over his career. It's been an honour to watch him grow as a player and a man. Farrell paid tribute to him in the presser. It's been a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭riddles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

Why was he mouthing after the game was over? He looked like a child who didn't get his toys. He was nervous and lost his head throughout the game, made poor decisions on the field of play and Farrell should have taken him off sooner. His body language coming onto the field before the start of the game summed it up for me. The pressure got to him and he crumbled. Maybe Crowley was needed from the 60min to add a different dimension to the game? Where do Ireland go from here? 2027 seems so far away this morning.

Those games come along. The ABs had one right before the WC openers - against the Springboks. A lot of similarities in that game and last night's. That's why WC tourneys are so brutal. You can do everything right leading up to the knockouts and have it all taken away in a single game. It's a bit of a lottery.

Also, don't forget, that scoreline doesn't lie. That was no walk in the park for the ABs.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭505_

I’m not a big rugby fan. Was very disappointed after the game last night though. Close but too many errors on the big occasion. Going 13-0 down so quickly it was always going to be extremely tough to come back from that.

Not being a big rugby fan always thought the wins against NZ were brilliant performances but still sort of glorified friendlies. Great to win but still when people mentioned them as Irelands greatest sporting achievements I couldn’t buy in to that at all. Then sure enough when it really actually matters NZ deliver a performance. Our wins in those games definitely gave confidence we could do it last night but again came up too short. A lot of nearly moments unfortunately. Have to feel that’s our best chance of winning a World Cup right there that’s slipped away. Hard to take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The management needs to stay in place, I dare say in the same circumstances under previous regimes we may not have made it out of that 'group of death' .

For me, Farrell has made a huge difference, this is going to sound stupid considering we lost last night, but we have a winners mentality under him. I'd hope England don't come knocking.

We know what we are good at and we exploit that to immense success. One of the problems last night was that it seemed to go out the window after a point. Some genuine errors (the Doris one you mention) but other things we were trying when normally they would only be tried whilst playing advantage.

Farrell will look back on some things as mistakes from himself, but most of it is ifs and buts and hindsight.

I am devasted that we have fallen here again, but it was different. This was the end of a belief rather than a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

it was always going to be difficult to win a qf when you play with a 6 man pack. POM and Henderson were gassed from minute 1. I don’t believe POM was on the screen for the first 20mins. Hard to recall Henderson ever contributing anything significant for Ireland (he has 80 caps). POM was a decent international player 5 years ago, at the latest.

absolutely gutted for the team. We’ll never play a worse NZ team. We had 13 players for the first 60 mins, and probably should have won the game. Shows what an opportunity it was.

Advertisement