Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Although Barrett mised one as well I think.

Barrett had a fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Greengrass53

Yeah from NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Saffer99

I actually went through the registration process for this one single post. As a Springbok supporter I just wanted to offer my condolences for what they're worth... And maybe a little advice.

The Boks may have had some success in the RWC, but we know the pain of having one of the best teams in the world but never lifting the trophy... In cricket.

We know what you guys are going through. Let's just hope, for the sake of tour team, that the powers that be aren't too hard on your coach who has done a bloody exceptional job. Truly. The sheer unity you have as a team and country is down to a number of factors, but not least the job that man has done. Don't be hard on him or the team. One game Sure it was a crunch game, but RWC is brutal in that way.

Us Bok supporters were looking forward to playing Ireland in the finals because even if we lift the trophy this year (and that's a big if given how France and the ABs are playing right now), we didn't get to beat Ireland. Ireland were absolutely the team to beat. You were the guys we've lost the most sleep about Some said marginal favourites, but I disagree. I would be willing to bet that the team would have learned enough from that single game to not repeat the mistakes that were made... Or capitalise on the ABs mistakes. Best of three would have been in Ireland's favour.

You have a fantastic team. I hope many will be around to play the next WC. You guys deserved the cup this year, it's just a pity it's not an annual compo like the footy Premier League. If it were, we'd have witnessed some serious record being demolished this year.

Holding thumbs that politicians don't break up a good thing like ours do when we lose a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This talk of management needing a change is a total soccer reaction. The mistakes made last night were made on the pitch not the sideline.

Sextons chip over the top was braindead. He had missed an easy 3 before it and had lost his head.

The Doris knockon straight after being held up was a killer blow

Jgp pass selection, gave one to vdf as he was only getting up and isolated him for a turnover. Threw one to PoM that was intercepted.

All those errors gave away possession, killed momentum and coughed up territory.

The decisions taken on the sideline to make the changes they did almost won the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Not a Rugby fan at all really but felt I should match the game.

Thought Ireland were the better team quite clearly (though thought SA were vs Ireland as well). Just didn't execute well enough, especially in the first half.

Sexton is a true great, and I hope his missed kick doesn't haunt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

Would hope that there's some form of recognition for Johnny and the team over the next few days. Doesn't have to be a big event. Brought us so many good memories over his career. It's been an honour to watch him grow as a player and a man. Farrell paid tribute to him in the presser. It's been a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭riddles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

Why was he mouthing after the game was over? He looked like a child who didn't get his toys. He was nervous and lost his head throughout the game, made poor decisions on the field of play and Farrell should have taken him off sooner. His body language coming onto the field before the start of the game summed it up for me. The pressure got to him and he crumbled. Maybe Crowley was needed from the 60min to add a different dimension to the game? Where do Ireland go from here? 2027 seems so far away this morning.

Those games come along. The ABs had one right before the WC openers - against the Springboks. A lot of similarities in that game and last night's. That's why WC tourneys are so brutal. You can do everything right leading up to the knockouts and have it all taken away in a single game. It's a bit of a lottery.

• Advertisement

Also, don't forget, that scoreline doesn't lie. That was no walk in the park for the ABs.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭505_

I’m not a big rugby fan. Was very disappointed after the game last night though. Close but too many errors on the big occasion. Going 13-0 down so quickly it was always going to be extremely tough to come back from that.

Not being a big rugby fan always thought the wins against NZ were brilliant performances but still sort of glorified friendlies. Great to win but still when people mentioned them as Irelands greatest sporting achievements I couldn’t buy in to that at all. Then sure enough when it really actually matters NZ deliver a performance. Our wins in those games definitely gave confidence we could do it last night but again came up too short. A lot of nearly moments unfortunately. Have to feel that’s our best chance of winning a World Cup right there that’s slipped away. Hard to take

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The management needs to stay in place, I dare say in the same circumstances under previous regimes we may not have made it out of that 'group of death' .

For me, Farrell has made a huge difference, this is going to sound stupid considering we lost last night, but we have a winners mentality under him. I'd hope England don't come knocking.

We know what we are good at and we exploit that to immense success. One of the problems last night was that it seemed to go out the window after a point. Some genuine errors (the Doris one you mention) but other things we were trying when normally they would only be tried whilst playing advantage.

Farrell will look back on some things as mistakes from himself, but most of it is ifs and buts and hindsight.

I am devasted that we have fallen here again, but it was different. This was the end of a belief rather than a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

it was always going to be difficult to win a qf when you play with a 6 man pack. POM and Henderson were gassed from minute 1. I don’t believe POM was on the screen for the first 20mins. Hard to recall Henderson ever contributing anything significant for Ireland (he has 80 caps). POM was a decent international player 5 years ago, at the latest.

absolutely gutted for the team. We’ll never play a worse NZ team. We had 13 players for the first 60 mins, and probably should have won the game. Shows what an opportunity it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It looks like the Irish moral victory brigade have migrated from the soccer team to the rugby team.

All the nonsense I've read on the internet "couldn't be prouder of them" " they did the country proud" etc is just cringeworthy. They failed to capitalize on the best opportunity Ireland have ever had (and may have for a while) to win a world cup.They must be absolutely sick as a group of players.

I don't think this tournament has any real vintage team that Ireland shouldn't have been beating, this NZ team for example is well below the 2011-2015 versions, South Africa are nowhere near as good as they were 4 years ago and England are rubbish and France are very beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Absolutely. When it mattered the team bottled it. Really shamed the fans (both the one there and watching) & the nation. Glad to see the back of a lot of them after this performance. Coaching ticket needs to be changed asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Musicrules

We are! For one, this New Zealand team is probably the worst that has entered a World Cup. Secondly, we have shown that we are the best team in the World over the past 2 years. If both teams played at their best, Ireland would win comfortably.

Most of us thought this Irish team were different but when it came down to it, they are not. The mental fragility lost us the game, that's the bottom line. Choking, bottling it etc are all harsh terms but unfortunately they are accurate. We couldn't handle the pressure of a World Cup quarter final and beat a team we should be beating.

It's a bitter pill to swallow. We will probably never have a better chance of winning a World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭honestbroker

Ireland could not beat Wales in a Q/F in 2011. This attitude is part of the problem, South Wales is real rugby country like all of NZ, SA and the SW of France, Ireland only have a few clubs in Limerick with the same level of rugby knowledge and nous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Of all the players who didnt do well you pick on two that did nothing wrong.

If crowley put in the mundane performance sexton did then the abuse he would have gotten would endure for months.

Sexton had a crap game, he was predictable, slow and completely outplayed by his opposite number. He didnt attack the line just sat back and shuffled the ball on. He missed an easy 3 and the chip over the top was never on.

He should have come off with ten minutes to go, we needed the impetus and freshness that was on the bench and had we been better at developing a replacement 10 over the last few years we might have had the confidence to take him off with 20 mins to go.

Great servant and all that nostalgia but he simply didnt do it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Some over reactions going on today IMO. Changing the coaching ticket after losing 1 game in over a year is crazy. Yes it's the most important game and I do believe mistakes were made but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

This was a close game that we were a few inches away from winning. NZ played to their potential and we didn't and they still only won by 4 points. I think the quarter final pressure took it's toll on the team.

My issues with last night were (in no particular order):

1) Hansen clearly wasn't fit

2) Sexton was gassed in the second half it's an indictment of the coaching tickets view of Crowley that he wasn't given any minutes considering Sexton wasn't exactly controlling the game in the second half.

3) the amount of times an Irish player was caught in isolation (obvs due to NZ pressure) but it's not something we've seen from this Irish team in a long time.

4) NZ targeted the scrum and whatever they did Barnes bought. I thought some of the calls were very harsh on porter but credit to NZ.

5) The line out badly misfired again... Not really sure what's going on with it but it's now a persistent issue. All this line-out ropeadope talk from earlier in the tournament really hasn't aged well. Big issues for us.

6) Front line players starting every game finally took it toll. Playing full strength against Romania and Tonga now looks to be a mistake. I can understand the reasons for it, sexton etc, but it was noticeable that Ireland seemed to tire in second half.

Really feels like this was the team to put this quarter final hoodoo to bed but it wasn't to be. Not sure how we could be better prepared. Still gutted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I think we place far too much stock in this 'world class 10' thing. It's an important position but not the be all and end all. Mounga isn't one, but he has the potential to be a game breaker as shown last night. What's far more important is a world class team, pack, scrum and lineout. No 10 in the world can guide a team to victory when their set piece and ruck is a mess like ours was last night. It's time for Crowley to get a go and we can see if he's up to it or not.

Must say I was surprised Kleyn has not featured over the last few years, brings the kind of ballast and hard edge that could have made a difference in the last 30 mins, McCarthy could be one for the future but way off the standard and level of experience required for a clutch match against NZ. It will be pretty sickening if Kleyn wins a medal with SA a country not short of second rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭riddles

I don't think any New Zealand player is waking up this morning thinking they played a team of softies somehow.

I am not bitter towards Kleyn at all, fair play to him, my point is that he is deemed good enough by SA, a country with an oversupply of quality second rows yet we felt he could be discarded after the 2019 world cup failure under Schmidt.

Apart from his qualities above he could have been our banker ball at 2 in the lineout last night instead of having to use O'Mahony when our throwing went awry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Bottled it?

A myopic view if ever there was one.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭roverjoyce

Back row totally outgunned

What does POM bring apart from a lineout jumper which is only an extra skillset

No carrys or tackles of note last night and never close to a jacket

Why was he kept for 4 years

Conan must be wondering why he never got a chance to start in this world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

henderson couldn’t do anything wrong as he was 2 rucks behind the pace of play.

POM likewise, apart from the cross field kick he should have caught. The one against the smallest man on the pitch. Quinny said in commentary that POM did well to “get off his feet” 🙄

Sexton had a steady game. That was too big of an occasion for Crowley. He is for the future, but not last night.

"Conan must be wondering why he never got a chance to start in this world cup"

Was he not injured?

Advertisement