Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia Rejects Recognition of Aboriginals - For Shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Oh for god sake it's like have an argument with a 6 year old just pull the race card when any real discussion is opened that you don't have a real intellectual input into the conversation.

I'm not racist my wife is black and of non Irish descent if that helps.

Australia is considered to be deeply racist how would you know ? Read it on a Facebook post were you ever actually there ?

Or did you just meet a a girl down the pub who was there in a working holiday visa 10 years ago.

You started a post here to discuss the decision by the country if you don't like the opinions fair enough I don't like many of them either.

But the labelling of people as racist in order to emphasise your argument is pure childish

Just because someone doesn't agree with your ideals doesn't mean that they are racist

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

No. I'm saying that there have been lesser known, basically less famous, massacres and land-stealing of indigenous peoples in other parts of the world past and present.

What do these people get for their troubles?

No one in Ireland knows or cares if you are a pygmy who had their land stolen by Bantu-speaking farming peoples. That's tough luck and it must be a lonely life for a persecuted minority in a country with no local equivalent of colonial guilt (with recompense) and no appeal to white Westerners to intervene, even if only rhetorically.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Have you ever met austrilians ? Horrible people

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware that I needed yours or anyone else’s permission to express my views on what I see as a clear injustice.

I also wasn’t aware that it’s always wrong to comment on another country and how it mistreats its indigenous people or its minorities. 🙄

I suppose you have never made a single comment on anywhere outside of Ireland lest you offend the traditions of the natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

if you replaced Australians with say Nigerians , you would have posted you’re final post on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Most racist place I've ever lived, and I've lived in many places. Everyone turning on whoever isn't white, even if they're not white themselves. Rancid place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

OP was in Australia for a month twenty years ago. That surely qualifies them to speak with complete authority on the motivations of the people who voted no and tar an entire country as racist.

You couldn't make it up. I think people are getting more stupid every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It's their country and they can do as they please. Let's sort out our own glasshouse, before firing rocks at others. No country is perfect. That's not me saying that i agree with this, but the Helen Lovejoy like histrionics/virtue signaling is a bit over the top. No country is perfect and racism does exist even here in "perfect" Ireland.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭yagan

Actually that's the problem, they've no respect for the people whose country it really is.

Commonwealth of Thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭iniscealtra

I was there a couple of years ago. Anyone I met had zero interest in indigenous culture. Sad really. Result doesn’t surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Our "recognition" of travellers is utterly meaningless. Just window dressing for the world. Yeah whoop de doo, Inda and Official Ireland and the usual quangos/lobby groups can administer themselves a pat on the back.

What's changed? Fcuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Funny, but very true.

To quote Monty Python,

'Every Sperm is Sacred'.

Every country on earth involved one set of people screwing over another set of people, that’s the history of humans

we are rotters to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Most people in ireland don’t mind or care what background people are from but in rural ireland in particular people have suffered horrifically at the hands of traveller burglary gangs , throw in all the other travellers behaviours like traveller feuds all over the country , refusing to work , wanting everything for free , destroying the towns they live in with intimidation of non travellers and flooding those towns with drugs in recent years etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Aussies are a strange lot. Not the most likeable of people generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This is as farcical a thread as you could get.

The OP was in Australia for a month 23 years ago and thinks he has some kind of insight into why this referendum failed.

Here’s a tip that most people do know but a surprisingly large number don’t. People don’t understand the politics of countries they don’t live in or come from. You can read about them on the internet, watch Sky News, but you will not develop a real understanding, you can only ever hope to recycle other people’s opinions.

its not nice to demolish liberal received wisdom with common sense logic

You have to understand that a large number of progressives have a child like understanding of the world which involves no nuance

they view everything through the oppressor/ victim narrative so they need not know a thing about the details of the Australian referendum, they reactively conclude the majority are bad for voting how they did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Are the Maori treated any better in New Zealand?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They are actually.

Formal treaties where signed by the British and the Maori back in the 1800 that gave Maori certain rights.

Now the British/Whites/Europeans whatever you want to call them certainly came out on top in those treaties but there was at least some recognition of Maori culture.

In NZ you see far more Maori cultural far more integrated.

When you go from Aus to NZ it's chalk and cheese the way the indigenous people are viewed and treated.

There's a piece here which uses the context of the vote yesterday in Australia that goes into some details about the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

We might see Travellers as native Irish but there is also view that they are second class citizens who dont deserve equal treatment. While treatment of aboriginals was worse, for the most part Irish people have no respect for Travellers and the idea that Irish people are disgusted with how vote went is a bit ironic.

I'd agree on the Irsrael treatment of Palestinians. It's clear Israel view Palestinians as subhuman and not deserving of human rights or even existing at this stage.

There is a sizeable portion of people, especially in rural ireland, who do care if your background is black, brown, a traveller or Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Australia has always been incredibly racist, they never came to terms with the settler colonial status.

How many Australian people have you met? It seems like every last one of them for you to make that assumption and even then it's just your opinion.

Of course you haven't. You met a few and therefore decided that every single Australia person is "horrible".

ive rarely seen much in they way of respect towards “ settled people “ from travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭yagan

I've travelers in my ancestry, but trying to compare traveler issues here now with what happened in oz is a gross disservice to aboriginals.

Travelers, itinerant workers were part of the Irish agrarian landscape going back centuries, millennia. Aboriginals on the other hand were treated like part of the flora and fauna and not as human. Currently the middle of the road attitude in Oz is to tell aboriginal peoples to suck it up and get over it, yet the terrible abuses of the past heavily impact these communities in the present.

Middle Australia is an extremely money obsessed nation so when aboriginals talk about the trauma the reaction usually jumps to "how much compo do they want?". It was the same during the native title debates where suburban voters were having meltdowns that the abos were going to take their lawns when all it was a partshare in the exploitation of traditional tribal lands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I lived in Australia for a few years, but that was nearly as long ago as the OPs one month visit.

Back then it was obvious the indigenous people had serious problems, huge unemployment and a major issue with booze. I have no idea if the referendum would have helped them or not, the Australian people undoubtedly had reasons for the way they voted.

The idea that Australians are particularly racist is crazy. Most of them live in huge multicultural cities. Undoubtedly there are racists in a population of over 20 million, but it’s a very multicultural place with far greater diversity than Ireland.

Advertisement