Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

• Registered Users Posts: 69,117 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Dunno, haven't clicked on the tweets about it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭mattser

It's true. That's why you replied so quickly. Hit something.

You don't know who your calling weak Disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

“For whatever reason”

I think you know exactly what the reason was tbh. We just don’t want to admit it, because it is so painful.

Honestly don’t know how people will turn up in February and give a ****. Will this ever lead anywhere on the biggest stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Did you get the PM wishing suicide on you from @cson as well?

He really is a lovely chap with a few jars in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Were NZ doing laps of honour with their families after winning their group games?

Were they fùck....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Yeah anyone harping on about how we played the #5 ranked team in the world in our pool is looking at a number, and ignoring the fact that Scotland are muck.

This fascination on numbers and rankings is strange. Particularly as we are ranked #1 and have fallen at the quarter final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

So assessment of the loss is exclusive to those who have reached a RWC QF or what's your point? Everyone can (and is) giving an opinion. If it doesn't align with yours you throw out the most tired excuse in the book

No but it's rich when a crowd of anonymous nobodys start talking bottling.

Small time losers getting a dig at people performing at a vastly higher level for losing. Mostly little petty people who only come on for the loss.

• Advertisement

Bang on. Two 1/4 finals in 4 years, NZ win both. When it really matters, NZ come to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,117 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A bit unfair. I think Andy Farrell explained what they were doing there. NZ didn't have huge numbers travelling to the games nor created the atmosphere we did.

I am sure they went to the clusters of their fans to thank them, we just didn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

It's barely ever mentioned in soccer so not sure why it has become such a big thing in rugby. I fancy South Africa to win tonight. Will there be any kind of homecoming event such as a civic reception for the team? The team deserve to be recognised for all they've done over the past four years. Way of saying thank you to the likes of Johnny and Keith Earls. Part of our most successful generation of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Looking back at the game again. We lost pretty much all the key critical set plays. Our scrum was shambolic at times. Lineout was crucified. A couple of poor executions from Johnny Sexton along with the failure to replace him with fresh legs with 15 to go. That ball getting held up was brilliant but again something we should have been able to counter. We were let down by our coaching and leadership on the field.

All excuses though that we are use to hearing. They dont get any better either.

NZ will say that they also made mistakes and thats why the game was as close as it was.

What now? Will Farrell stay?

A fresh voice and approach needed. He has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Says the anonymous poster ! Get yourself ready there with your giant plastic hammer to welcome your heroes home off the plane !! Ole ole ole sure they did ye proud !

Let’s not forget Farrell was a key member of the coaching team that also massively failed in 2019. Time to get and Irishman back in charge of the Irish team

I'm a GAA man and rugby.

Most of the derogatory posts have come from GAA and Soccer minorities wanting to have a dig. It's as clear as day with 2 clicks on their profile. They are small, petty, begrudging and arrived last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have a feeling that Andy Farrell is going to be the Lions head coach...so he is going to be gone from Ireland for a good year or so....

The IRFU will promote from within....i would have thought pre world cup that POC was being lined up as interim coach....but the lineout has been such a shambles there are now question marks over him.....

Interesting times ahead...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I really hope not. The end goal of any 4 year cycle is world cup success. There should not be any civic reception for being knocked out at a world cup quarter final for the 8th time.

Will Wales have a civic reception?

South Africa and France would be mortified at being welcome as heroes for a quarter final defeat.

I'm far from anonymous. I've had my real name on a few forums here.

Plastic hammers.. you're a fair shite WUM🤣

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Ireland need to shake that small time just happy to be here attitude in sports in general but especially in rugby. It's a sport only played by a handful of nations to a decent standard in the whole world and to never win a knockout game at a world cup is beyond pathetic.

Exaclty. We need to get away from celebrating mediocrity. We do it so well at all sports in this country. Lets not forget these lads as pro's.

A reception for getting kncoked out in the last 8 in what in reality is a sport played at a decent level by about 8 teams in the world. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The amount of spoiled brats on here is incredible. Sack a grand slam winning coach that saw us win 17 in a row. Farrell is one of the best head coaches around. There are very few who would be an actual improvement.

OGara would vastly improve attitude and tactics. He’s a proven winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

We left that behind us last night , we played against 14 for 20 minutes and still came up short. The third try for new Zealand was ridiculously easy. I think why there is some gloating by a minority when the rugby team loose is because the constant hyperbole on the radio, TV. Ciara Kelly on newstalk Friday morning telling everyone that this is rugby country, John duggan telling us beating the all blacks was the greatest sporting achievement, Neil Francis telling us all it's rugby country also to name a few. We don't get the same amount of shite with other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Rankings mean absolutely nothing. Belgium where the number 1 world ranked team in football for years and they've never won anything. Winners perform when the time arrives, everything else is just noise.

I agree. But regardless of how good a coach is there is a time cycle on productivity and being able to improve and achieve things with a group. His is naturally ended now. Plus i doubt any of our remaining out halfs have any trust in the current coaching ticket.

That post is so ridiculously senseless.

So Jimmy Davidson, Ciaran Fitzgerald, Gerry and Noel Murphy, Eddie O'Sullivan and Kidney, Irishmen, were more successful than Schmidt and Farrell. Just a heads up, some of the names you mightn't recognise were earlier Irish coaches.

Thankfully primary school will be open tomorrow and some posters won't be on here between 9-3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭DeadHand

A few thoughts on Ireland in this World Cup.

When I started watching rugby, Ireland would be beaten routinely by the likes of Scotland and Wales and humiliated routinely by the likes of England and France. Beating the All Blacks was a pipe dream.

The achievements of the current squad, and the way in which they go about their business, continues to amaze me. This outfit should be recognised as a source of national pride and joy.

On the game, Barnes' performance was excellent and should not be mentioned as a factor.

The better team on the night won deservedly. They are billed as a relatively poor All Black team, but they remain an All Black team. Their discipline (outside of the two yellows) and game management was excellent. They rucked and defended like madmen and displayed attacking flair when the opportunity knocked. It was the best performance by any team at the WC so far and I now back them to win the entire thing.

Ireland showed tremendous craft at times and tremendous resilience at all times.

However, the set pieces malfunctioned and that cost them dearly. They weren't getting to rucks or chasing kicks with the savage urgency of their opponents. The back row was outplayed, Sexton was outplayed. Ireland were greedy in going for the line instead of sensibly taking 3 on two occasions that I can recall.

James Ryan's heft and ferocity in the breakdown was severely missed on the night.

They got tired. I recognise the advantages of Farrell's policy of minimal deviation from his favoured core, but I feel it may have backfired. A second 15 should have been picked to dispatch Tonga, and I feel the argument was strong for rotation versus the Scots. The depth should have been better trusted. O'Brien and McCarthy proved so in outstanding cameos.

Still, Ireland did not play badly. It's possible to play well and still lose to a team who play better.

It was a mere 4 points after by far the best contest of this tournament, and what should be remember as one of the great World Cup encounters.

Talk of "chokers", "bottlers" and other unfair denigrations of this fine unit is the product of trolling, hurt feelings and/or small, spoilt minds.

The future remains bright and Farrell remains the man for the foreseeable.

Advertisement