Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Doyle was injured yesterday, what's his story?

Thought we needed freshness yesterday, Hughes in particular I thought would play a bigger part. I thought Walsh was doing OK, he's a competitive lad and wasn't giving away frees like Davy was and always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Very quiet in here.

I wonder how that back 6 will line up, will C Daly drop to 3 with Stack to 6. I think Murray is lucky to start ahead of Hussey myself, Davy is a good Las but he gives too many soft frees away (did it again last week) and to me he's under pressure from Walsh and Hussey for a CB berth.

I also wonder what influence Kevin Walsh will have on the game - he's seen Roscommon up close and personal with mixed results over the years, has he learned anything I wonder. An interesting aside.

Disappointing performance and result again today. Cork were beatable, we should have had enough but again we were ponderous and lacking in attack, very one paced and slow to break forward. Lots of similarities on the 3 group games, except we didn't kick the wides today, but rather we took the safe options time and time again, probably too much so. The loss of Doyle was felt, he contributed well when introduced so one expects he was carrying that injury into the game. In a game of tight margins, in fairness we missed Donie for that second half as he was doing well and Cox took a long time to get into the game.

Not a day for recriminations or anything, we've fallen short of a 1/4 final again which IMHO was a minimum target. No point throwing the baby out with the bathwater, this is year one of the current regime and hopefully they will learn from it and move on next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I'm loathe to criticise players etc as we have been punching above our weight in fairness the last few years with the amount of Div 1 football we've been playing.

This year is another one to add to the collection where we have a good spring and even a good result in championship football and fail to build on it. Our best championship results v Mayo and Galway have been when we were outsiders, it seems as soon as there is some talk about us we inevitably buckle. The Dublin game was an opportunity missed but even after that I would have been very confident that we were well set for a quarter final place and could give that a right crack and possibly make a semi final.

Yet here we are after back to back 1 point defeats to Div 2 sides a year after failing to break our Croke Park hoodoo with a 1 point defeat to Clare. All games looking in that I would have fancied us in (today was 50:50 for me on the back of last week's results for both teams).

Is there a mentality thing there stopping us moving to the next level, we seem to claw our way right up there but fail to properly kick on. Ah I don't know, maybe I'm probably talking thru my hoop but this last week has been massively disappointing and a huge opportunity missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

I genuinely think it's a fitness/ s&c shortage. We're consistently being bet by "weaker" teams who just simply out fight us. Seems to happen if we're playing at Division 2 or higher Division 1 level earlier in the year.

But couple of positives today. We've been competitive all year. Enda Smith had a great year. We are competing at the highest level, it's not going to be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭paulbok

Would have to rate the season as a disappointing but positive season.

Disappointing as CBG and RN pointed out above, but positive in that the team were, for the most part, able to go toe to to with any team, if not quite able to beat them.

Also we didn't take a pasting off anyone this year, the Monaghan game probably being the 'biggest' defeat in that we never looked like winning that, the game at the start of the year were looking at as the best source of points in the league. The other league defeats to Kerry and Mayo, while they were the better teams in the day, we could still have won them at the end. Similar story with the Connacht sf defeat.

In most other years, after losing a decent lead and going behind to Dublin, the heads would have usually dropped and they would have lost by 6+ points. Again they could have won that game at the end.

The Kildare and Cork games, we probably would win both if played again, though they did seem a bit tired in both.

Playing in div 1 again next year is huge in keeping the development going. The aim next year has to be to get to the QFs and stay up in div 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭rodmn2377

Mark Mc Hugh is supposed to have said they need a full yr of S&C before they would be up to the condition of the top teams... he felt they were set back getting started so late....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A bit of work at converting goal chances wouldn't go amiss either.

The two missed chances at the weekend were at pivotal moments. And the second chance in particular was a criminal miss.

Galway's missed opportunity was strikingly similar and likewise came at a crucial moment.

Kind of overly simplistic to say but in all honesty moments like these are the losing of a game.

• Advertisement

Went to the first of these divisional championship games this evening,between West and North Roscommon.

I had doubts about this set up, but seeing the teams and this game what a fvckin farce.

Looks like most clubs and players don't care or haven't bought into it. North Roscommon on the program had 13 lads togged out from a team that lost in the junior championship quarter final last year, and these guys are not me fixed to play the winners of one the groups in THE SENIOR quarter final on a few weeks! Even allowing for favoritism by the manager, this is a farce..... pure nonsense. A lad came on after half time who missed a 14 yard free in the junior QF last year and..... Well let's say player fit jerseys aren't designed for his body shape!

I don't know who is driving this nonsense, but it's farcical to be honest. Making little of the championship.... Better to put on proper club structures and leave this sh1te alone, because nobody cares.

Let's leave the personal stuff aside. But looks like this is as bad as the St ciaran experiment a good few years back. But Rome wasn't built in a day. It's the right idea and needs work to get the implementation done better.

I'd expect the senior club they'll face will dispatch them with ease.

Nothing personal.... Just illustrating the fact this is being dressed up as a senior championship 'level game, it's bullshot to be honest-most of the lads togged out yesterday are not able to get the better of Senior clubs B teams, let alone their A teams. and as for the cup presentation afterwards, it was embarrassing!

Roscomon isn't big enough for this type of competition, and the players aren't there to play senior within the structures that are there (and I'm from one of the clubs that was covered yesterday.)

I don't know who is benefiting from this to be honest.

Well, the only team Dublin didn't beat in the championship was Roscommon.

I see the 2022 club champions relegated from the senior club championship in 2023. A first in Roscommon, although not the first champions to contest relegation the year after. Very disappointing for Strokestown.

Two very interesting semi-finals over the weekend.

Brigid's will be favourites against a very young Gaels side, but when the Gaels click they are very dangerous.

Boyle and Pearses, hmmmm, maybe Pearses are a little past it and Boyle's attacking threat can win out, but it's still a hard one to call.

Either way, there's four teams there who are capable of winning it out, but if I had to put money on it I reckon Brigid's are probably the best bet.

Brigid's looked very impressive today. Easy win, but the manner of their play was very impressive.

While the Gaels were very disappointing and their defending for the first half goals was truly awful, Brigid's look like a serious outfit.

They have good footballers right throughout the field, physically imposing and good footballing midfield and dangerous forwards.

Tactically, they look very well drilled and also appear very hungry.

They will be hard beaten in the county and maybe even Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Didn't Pearses add a handful of young players into their starting team this year?

It didn't look that way yesterday. Similar lineup to what we've had for the last few years and they played like a team past their best.

They offered very little threat up front. I think all their points came from frees. And it has to be said there were some awfully soft frees. The ref seemed to think he was reffing a soccer match. Any tiny bit of physical contact was whistled up. Boyle also got some very soft frees but there appeared to be a lot more for Pearses.

Boyle were the better side but struggled to support players breaking out of defense. I don't think they're fit enough to do the packed defense - fast breakout game they appear to be playing. Brigid's don't pack their defense so that could allow more space for the good Boyle forwards, but overall Brigid's will be solid favourites and with good reason.

Boyle have to pack the defence, they are not good enough otherwise. They had holes in defence last year, and they have lost Evan McGrath and Sean Purcell since, so it's weaker they've gotten.

• Advertisement

Looking at the Pearses line up on Sunday it included C Keogh,D Kenny,J Tumulty,E Colleran all who played for Roscommon U20s this year. Brigids looking at their 5 championship results this year conceded just 0-38 and it's unlikely they conceded such a low score without getting numbers back in defence. It all suggest the Roscommon final will likely be a low scoring one and it will be important to have accurate free takers in order to win.

I totally agree, but they only started implementing it after conceding six goals in the first half against the Gaels. That's not that long ago, so the fitness levels required for the breakout part aren't what they need to be yet. Think Donegal in 2011 compared to 2012.

I thought Colleran played last year. I could be wrong, but either way, the bulk of the team hasn't changed and they looked stale.

I would say Brigid's low concession rate is because they were just much better than their opposition, dominating possession and having a very solid defense without packing it to any great degree. I'd be surprised if it's a low-scoring game, there's just going to be too many good footballers on the pitch.

Only have to look at county level, teams that are the best and dominate possession still get numbers back when they lose possession and from that more often than not are able to hold teams to low scores. Brigids also beat Pearses in a low scoring encounter this year, Roscommon senior county final last year was 11 scores to 10 and the semi final between Brigids and Pearses was 12 scores to 13.

I agree all the top teams get numbers back (though this is seemingly lost on virtually all pundits, who seem to pick on a few teams and never mention the rest), but from what I saw at the semis, Brigid's wouldn't pack their defense to the level that either Pearses or Boyle do. That was my point. Even on the Gaels kickouts, every single one of Brigids forwards were pushed up inside the Gaels 45. They are very attack oriented, with lots of players comfortable scoring. I suspect you haven't seen them play this year.

With regard to the Brigids / Pearses group game. Firstly, all Pearses games are low scoring, because of the ultra-defenseive approach Pearses take and in more recent times, their lack of a cutting edge up front. Secondly I don't see that having any relevance on the upcoming county final between Brigids and Boyle, especially considering the difference in quality between Boyle's forwards and Pearses'.

Brigids didn't play Pearses in last year's semi-final either.

Brigids and Boyle semi final last year I meant which wasn't a high scoring game. If Boyle can hold Brigid's to 0-12 again or lower it will give them the opportunity to win a rare county title at senior level. A more open game would suit Brigids and probably allow them to win by a bit to spare.

Brigid's had a whole raft of injuries for that match last year, so I wouldn't use it as any sort of a barometer. They're at pretty much full-strength this year and all those youngsters they have are a year older and more experienced, plus they appear to be really well-coached.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not from Brigid's and would absolutely love to see Boyle win, but purely off their performances so far in the championship Brigid's will be strong favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Brigids starting team from last years semi final defeat to Boyle.

James Martin

Pearse Frost Peter Domican Sean Trundle

Alan Daly Brian Stack Paul McGrath

Mark Daly Eddie Nolan

Shane Cunnane Conor Gleeson Robbie Dolan 

Ben O'Carroll Ciaran Sugrue Bobby Nugent 

Only player out injured was Ronan Stack, Ruaidhri Fallon was involved with rugby which he seems to have given up on now? Conor Hand was teen and used as sub compared to a starter now.

Boyle team last year.

Rob Kearney 

Luke Glennon Conor Flanagan Daniel Casey

Tadgh McKenna Sean Purcell Evan McGrath

Roch Hanmore Enda Smith 

Dylan East Killian Cox Cathal Feely 

Daire Cregg Donie Smith Cian McKeon

Those in bold are all out injured and holding Brigids to 0-12 or trying to beat them with three first choice defenders out is very hard to see. Should be Brigids by at least 3 points this Sunday I'd reckon.

I was at that match last year (I'm not trying to stupidly cover myself here) and while that may have been the teamsheet I honestly don't believe that's the team that started. I know a Brigid's man I spoke to at the match who told me they had a lot of injuries and the match itself played out that way, as other than Ben O'Carroll the Brigid's team never really looked up to much.

How did they only lose by 3 points then? Well, I thought Boyle should have won by a lot more, but it was all about getting across the line to make their first county final in 95 (?) years.

Either way, I really hope Boyle win and I'll be cheering them on. And stranger things have happened, especially with the firepower they have upfront.

• Advertisement

On another note, I just heard the County Minor final will also be played on Sunday.

Before the senior? Nope. At 5pm in Enfield.

What f*cking genius came up with that?

Advertisement