Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Ole ole ole. Don’t forget your plastic hammer to met the heroes off the plane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,692 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

NZ did exactly the same things in the opening minutes. Wayward kicks and badly thrown passes.

Both teams overcame those nerves. NZ just did it a bit better and scored enough to have us chasing the game.

There was zero bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

u do realise Ireland had a mental coach for the last 4 yrs so can’t use that as an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

There are more than 8 competitive teams in soccer though. Big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

These lads are paid handsomely to deal with that pressure. They spent the last 4 years working towards last night, working with sports psychologists, performance coaches, etc etc. if I spent 4 years in my job working towards a big event or presentation with all that resource (since you want to bring it back to that level of simplicity) and I choked on the day, I’d be very annoyed at myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

In your opinion , I think they bottled their huge opportunity to get to a world cup final. Saying there was zero bottling is posting in bad faith. Bottling something is letting nerves get the better of you. You think sextons kick in isolation wasnt bottling it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

For those who saying ireland didn't bottle it last night, do yous agree that the concepts of bottling does exist or is it a case it's not something that ever happens? If it does happen, can you give examples of when a team has bottled it?

Would genuinely be interested as to how last night's performance wasn't considered bottling it. They came into the bugged game of their lives and performance drastically under par.

We got ourselves back into contention several times and were within a try of winning the game after one of the most phenomenal periods of play seen at this world cup. One fecking score!

Nobody bottled it.

This is an example of what you're dealing with. It's very hard to know whether this is a child posting or who or what you're dealing with. It's not the post of a well adjusted mature adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Was utterly shattered last night. Not much better today. It all feels like nothing now but the achievements so far under Farrell, Grand Slam and Series win in NZ are in the history books and in time we'll be able to separate them and they'll stand alone. For me SA a few weeks ago is our best ever world cup win, and before any of those posters looking to be negative jump down my throat, yes any kind of QF win would be better than that and yes we don't have a QF win.

Talk of bottle is ridiculous. It's a ridiculous word that people use to put the boot in. How entire 15 man teams handle pressure is such a broad spectrum.

Maybe nerves played a part in a few players being 8/10 instead of their usual 9/10 (Doris knock on, Johnny Penalty, Murray not playing the ball out of the second maul*) can swing a whole game, and maybe that happened, but people know full well when they throw out the word bottle they're suggesting a total team malfunction and trying to imply the team are somehow mentally inferior. Maybe NZ handled nerves 1% better in a few moments and fair play to them, as someone said this NZ team is still writing their story and they'll now find themselves in a world cup final. For years their predecessors were called 'bottlers' for not winning a tournament where every team on earth raised their game 10 levels to try and take them down

We had earned the right to be favourites and all the evidence said that it would be close and possibly the game of the tournament, but being favourites can mean thay if we played 100 times, we would win 51. It doesn't mean we are an embarrassment for losing.

What am I trying to say? I don't know, just rambling. After all the years of us saying "you have to be flawless to beat the all blacks" the one time they had to be flawless to beat us, they were and fair play to them.

We'll win a QF some day and right now it breaks my heart to think Sexton and POM won't be on the team that does it, just as it did over Drico and, Darcy ROG and Paulie and Woody. It's hard to imagine any win as sweet as this one would have been but we'll keep going. Until then the trolls can gloat for another 4 years but we're well used to them.

*Not saying it was the wrong decision to leave it in the maul, just maybe you're 1% more likely to leave the maul rumble on when you know any mistake could end your world cup, players are human.

If the soccer team had 10% of what Irish rugby has and has had for a number of years they would be more successful. 'Competitive teams' regularly qualify for the the world competitions...we don't. That is just a sad fact.

The substantial point though whether the above is true or not is that I am not disgracing or demeaning myself on the soccer forum trolling folk for some warped thrills.

Money doesn't make any difference to pressure.

It's the same as saying why have so many rich people mental illness. They have the best psychologists and psychiatrists too. Yet many take their lives etc.

I think a lot of you may live cocooned lives or never encountered any real pressure, sporting career in your lives. The naivety of the posts. Paid handsomely to deal with pressure!!

Bottling it is a derogatory term. Last night was a game between two top teams and one of them won after a titanic struggle. Had we scored at the end, NZ bottling it would not have been accurate either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Some of our players looked very nervous before the match and there's no doubt that contributed to NZ going 13-0 up after 20 minutes. Only then did we get our act together and whilst it's true we dragged ourselves back into the game by HT we contributed to our own downfall by giving ourselves a mountain to climb at the start leading to a situation where we were never leading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭riddles

I think we can reflect on the wisdom of thinking we could win a world cup with a 38 year out half and POM who was seriously questioned 4-5 years ago. The core of this team also came up short in successive champions cup finals. I'm no expert on the game but I could see we were sleep walking into the same mistakes. It was a no brainer for me to stick a wedge on NZ at 3.5 to 1 to win it out given the probability of getting to a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So what makes a difference to pressure?

Mentality?

Fine, they didn’t have the mentality and came up against a superior team in that department. It’s a failing going back 30+ years in Irish teams and until it’s addressed I don’t think anything will change. The IRFU and coaching staff have obviously tried to do that, but it comes down to the 15 or 23 players on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

A team that bottled it wouldn't have gotten themselves back in the game at 13 nil down against the All Blacks in a World Cup quarter final and stayed in contention until the very end despite numerous sucker punches.

Bar incredible defence on the last line out Ireland would have likely won. They didn't bottle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Okay, so what's an acceptsble term for a team who fails to perform at their best in their most important game?

Review the start of the game an some wayward passing and kicks from NZ, they were just as nervous. You should be nervous to an extent. We tokk a bit longer to quiet our nerves and had to chase. Chasing causes errors and we made some but so too did NZ.

Boiled down to NZ getting more of the luck for me. Whitelock could have gotten pinged for not releasing at the end, but wasn't. Another day he does and we go to the corner and maul over the lineout.

Didn't happen, and that as they say is sport at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

And under normal circumstances this sort of performance from Ireland would be enough to get to a SF, sadly due to the lob sided draw and a truly immense performance from NZL it wasn't. We'll probably see same at the same time tonight when one of France or SA crashes out.

• Administrators Posts: 54,065 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’m mentally broken after that. It feels like the last few years were all for nothing. Everything was building up, everything was done right, but last night was the biggest game in Irish Rugby and we ended up coming away with the same old regrets, mistakes and ultimately have nothing to show for it.

Yea we won some six nations and got a series win but this team will be remembered like all the others, couldn’t get the job done when it really, really mattered.

People will go on about the series win but I guarantee not one NZ person would swap any WC knockout game for a series. Ultimately that’s just down to a difference in mentally.

Where we go from here I don’t know. We’re now entering the dreaded transition due to the age profile of a number of our key players.

I don’t think this generation of players are going to have another opportunity like last night. They will all know they left it behind them again.

It’s hard to get excited about winning a six nations after the excitement of the opportunity we have squandered here. It’s hard because it feels like just lowering expectations to try find some solace.

Massively frustrating. We’re always left trying to find excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If we play out best rugby nobody can beat us.

we didnt play our best rugby.

NZ had to play their best rugby to beat us. They did and they did.

They came up short after giving it all they had on the day.

No disgrace in that for me. In fact I am, given the circumstances they found themselves in incredibly proud of them. Epitomised by Keenan looking like he had been in a warzone still putting his body on the line to the very end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But they didn't do everything they could on the day. The simple fact is that they played worse yesterday than they did in recent games, and they most certainly didn't play to their full potential.

They had the dream scenario for that game. Great form, minimal injuries, one of NZ's weakest ever teams, and even had 2 opposition yellow cards thrown in as the cherry on top.

All that, and yet they played below their recent form and they made mistakes they don't usually make.

Doing everything right and losing is one thing, but making mistakes and underperforming when the pressure is on is quite another. And whether you lot like it or not, there is a 6 letter word that applies in that scenario.

Helps when to get to the last 4 all they have to do is beat the 10th best team in the world... I get what you are trying to say with you're second point and for the most part I agree but using the draw in this RWC as in anyway supporting evidence for England makes you lose a lot of credibility, England are only going to be in a SF because of luck of the draw and nothing else, same with Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I don't subscribe to that at all. Winning quarter finals is no big deal for NZ and we've never won a knock out match in the history of the RWC. The terrible start cost us big time.

You can mention luck but Sexton missed that penalty at such a crucial stage in the match.....we'd have taken the lead after the penalty try if he'd converted that and it wasn't the hardest kick in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I agree with those saying they looked very tired in the last twenty minutes. They still kept giving everything they had.

I'm thinking back now to what I said before the World Cup started about the different schedules teams had. We had a brutal game against South Africa then a week off and then Scotland. While we beat Scotland well it was still another tough physical game.

New Zealand played France at the start and didn't have a hard game from them until last night. The same applies to France and even moreso for England who I'm certain gave their whole squad a weeks rest as they had qualified very early on.

I think having two tough games like we had late in the pool stages played a big part in them tiring early last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

There was a lack of bottle early on though. The occasion and pressure got to them. Ireland were a mess with bad handling, lineouts etc until they were 13-0 down.

Unfortunately that was the losing of the game, it meant we were under pressure all the time, rushing things. Prime example near the end was Doris rushing towards that dropout and knocking on. Ireland did super to get their composure back for the majority of the match, but they were definitely jittery and nervous early on.

New Zealand after all the detractors, even in their own country, just had that superiority complex from minute 1.

Advertisement