Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,507 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

By world stage I assume you are talking about the World Cup every four years?

It's amazing how all the success and wins we have had over the last four years mean nothing because we lost a QF to the All-Blacks.

Obviously a grand slam is nothing nowadays. Obviously a 17 game win streak means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

That last paragraph is why they of course bottled it. Biggest game in Irish rugby history and they were under par.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Look I do consider it to be absolutely nuts to be holding the draw 3 years before the tournament begins. I always did and said about 20 years ago that such a scenario like what happened in 2023 was an inevitability. FIFA do the football WC draws six months in advance. I think UEFA did the Euro2020 draw three months from the tournament.

Nevertheless it is what it is.

They have plans, I believe, to change the timing of the draw for the next RWC although that is no comfort to Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

Actually, people complaining about using terms like bottlers and chokers as acceptable term show a lack of understanding of elite level sports. Also, boiling last nights match down to simply a case of "a match involving two teams, where one has to lose" is a simplistic explain you'd give to a child because they don't have sufficient ability to analyse sports on a deeper level.

The ability to perform to the best of one's abilities in the most pressure situations is a key aspect of being successful at elite level sports. The reality is, Irish teams have consistently failed to perform to the best of their abilities at world cups. We can ignore terms like bottlers if it makes some fans feel better, but the fact remains that last night this ireland team joined all those before them as being knocked out at a 1/4 final because they played well below their best when it really mattered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭riddles

The yellow for deliberate knock on was a marginal call and if we had received it would have gone bonkers. The shoulder to Aki was inexplicable and a step backwards for player safety similar to the Welsh game. I suspect if we had played with 14 players for 20 mins the result would have been more conclusive and reflected the actual component parts of the game we came up short in. Moments which summed up last night there was a ball out and Bealim I think took that moment to check and it was lost then Beirne got a ball at the end and just stood still momentarily. The lack of fluidity was the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

But alot of those RWC's we were inconsistent and arguably 5-8 in the world was our level. Only really 2015 on you could say we should be in a SF and of course on each occasion we get a stinker of a draw. I agree about winning the thing we have to beat the best but even with our mistakes that level of a performance should be good enough to win a QF when you topped your pool. That in itself shows just how much of a pis stake the draw has been and you'll see England not even get close to the level of performance that we got to yesterday, even with all our errors at line out and at the breakdown, and they'll likely walk into a SF for no other reason other than the draw. In some way's it was like 2011 but the difference being back then that was a truly gutless performance where we never had a crack until it was too late whereas in this game we hung in there until the bitter end. It wouldnt be frustrating if this was a once off but literally the last RWC we had almost an identical situation of having to beat NZL or SA whereas Wales on both occasions just had to beat the 8th best side in the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 69,117 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I saw what happened, twice now as I watched it on +1 and it wasn't remotely 'bottling'.

It was a titanic struggle between two teams who made mistakes and had moments of brilliance and it came down to one score.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

A long 4 years ahead and unfortunately grand slams and test wins won’t fill the huge void.

The only option now is to pick up the pieces and start again. Management and players will quietly go about this once the pain of last night has subsided (it’ll never completely go and rightly so) and they’ve had time to refresh and reflect.

Lessons to learn for everyone, that includes media and fans in terms of over celebrating and hype.

There are no guarantees in sport (like life in general) that’s for sure.

Also, if someone came onto boards and made a pre match prediction that ireland woukd play for 20minutes with a extra man advantage and still lose, they'd have been roundly abused and laughed at for being ridiculous. The fact it actually happened really is quite a stunning scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I don't think we bottled it. If SA had more about them running the ball we'd have also lost that one but they just didn't have the try scoring ability of NZ.

We had no line-out in both games and you can't win a match with no set piece.

Not sure what happened to the line-out for this tournament but its 100% why we lost. So we lost due to our own limitations imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Man, this has to be one of the funniest threads I've read in a while.

From the hysterical Father Ted "that's it, we're fecked" stuff in the first twenty minutes after NZ's first try, to the assured chorus of "take the three points!!" only for Gibson Park to score from this decision just before halftime.

The drama!!

Back to see what gold the second half comments have to offer. 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I don’t think they just sprung a surprise draw on us though??! The teams were aware of when it would be made and Ireland weren’t very good at the time. If they can stay #1 or 2 in advance of the next draw it’ll work the other way for some teams.

The draw was done in 2019 as far as i'm concerned as that was what the seedings were based on. It was inevitable and what annoyed me is even before this RWC the draw was done too early but even if it was done at the end of 2020, like in normal cases, France or Ireland would have joined SA/NZ in pot 1 ensuring that the risk of such a lopsided draw was nullified. The draw in future needs to be done a year or so out, the reasons given to not do this are nonsensical, having a draw a year or so out works in football it works in rugby. At work I explained to one of my Arab work colleagues who isn't a rugby fan at all the situation of the draw and she almost laughed at it, if she can see how nonsensical this draw is then World Rugby have no excuses.

It doesn't matter if they were aware of it or not, the fact is no matter what happened 2 of the best 4 teams in the world were guaranteed to not be in a SF and one of the top 5 sides were guaranteed to be going out in the PS. The draw was made based on 2019, I don't think even a crystal ball would have predicted a massive pandemic happening which would lead to WR doing the draw based on the 2019 World Cup standings. Try telling that to SA if they get eliminated today, number 1 in the world when the draw was made but potentially going out because France were dogs!t in 2019 when the draw seedings were created.

It was only the first 20 minutes of the match that was bottled.........Like I stated some of our seasoned professionals who have won everything except the WC looked terribly nervous before and after the anthems. I was very worried when I saw their faces and wondered if they'd been mentally prepared for this match as elite sport is very much about goes on inside heads as well as the athleticism required to win the match or event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Savea should have had a yellow for his side entry, that was him responding to pressure that we were going to score from

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mrm

Absolute bullsh!t! They didn't join any of the previous teams who did collapse. This team had the spirit to perform brilliantly and drag themselves back into a game that was showing all signs of going beyond them. I'll leave you to your slang term and your need to ignore everything that happened across the whole 80 minutes. I have seen teams previously missing the courage, drive, ability, belief and myriad of other characteristics together necessary and give up with that start. Hard to say it about this team as they played up to the last seconds seeking the winning score.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not even convinced we bottled the opening 20 minutes. It may have been more that we were unsettled by NZ's strong and very aggressive start. I don't think any team has put us under that much ferocious pressure in the opening 20 mins in yonks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It’s insulting and it’s something nobody can know for sure except the lads themselves. They played against one of the top teams in the world and were the width of a hand from winning. Then the narrative goes from “they choked” to “they really dug that out, what mental strength.” It’s lazy analysis.

Very, very few athletes produce their absolute best under extreme pressure. And that’s for a variety of reasons. Let’s not forget, you have some of the best rugby players in the world on the other side of the pitch trying to stop you from winning. You have lads who may not be at their peak physically and may be carrying knocks. You just get caught cold at the start.

All those things can happen especially when you’re playing against an elite team and, while this isn’t the best NZ team, they are elite.

What I would say is that if this was a proper choke or mental weakness, we’d have gone under after 10 mins. 13-0 down, really slow start. If you were a choker, that’s the time to cave completely. Our lads stuck in the game to the very end and that’s why I don’t think the analysis from some posters is fair. There are too many things at play to simply say they choked or bottled it.

To ascribe every big defeat, particularly one as narrow as this against such a big team, to choking is lazy, condescending, insulting analysis from keyboard warriors. Sadly, it’s become prevalent in every sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭honestbroker

What sort of nonsense is a statement like that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a big difference, but there is also whole heap of absolute cross in soccer that we have struggled against for long time.

3 of the international tournaments we got out of our group in was courtesy of being the 2nd best 3rd placed team in our group too. We've not been pulling up any trees in reality.

And checks world cup winners....theres only been 8 different of them too(maybe 9 if I'm missing someone). Not a glowing endorsement of how ultra competitive it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

They don't mean nothing they just have to be put in context.

Olympians are judged on how they perform once every 4 years, if Paul O'Donovan, Fintan McCarthy , Katie Taylor etc hadn't won gold medals in the Olympics despite winning all the competitions they compete in they'd probably view their own careers as incomplete and the media would aswell. Why are we not not allowed to judge the Irish Rugby team by the same high standards we judge Olympians?

Winning the 6 nations is great, but the summer and November internationals are pretty much money making ventures simple as that, nice to win them but you can't really read a whole amount into them because not everyone has the same motivation and preparation when they play in them.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda glad I pre-grieved now. Feel fine.

I was asked for a scoreline prediction on Friday. . . . . I said 29-24 to New Zealand (honestly folks).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Nobody will be talking about a 17 game win streak this time next year.

They would have talked about us getting to a world cup final, or even better again winning the tournament.

If you're happy with a 17 game win streak and a grand slam, and also a failure at the world cup, it shows the peak of your ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It was obvious NZ were going to score tries against us - I felt they were going to score at least two over the 80 minutes, maybe more.

What knocked us back though was them racing into a 13-0 lead within 20 minutes (whilst playing exceptional rugby and really putting it up to us)....I don't think we ever fully recovered.

I agree, saying they really dug that out if they won woukd be lazy analysis. I don't thinking saying they bottled it is, it just one word that is a accurate description to how it went. But since offends so many, we will just say it as it is - they drastically under performed in the most important game you can play in world rugby.

NZ produced their absolute best when under extreme pressure, and in the grand scheme of NZ teams it's still a level below. NZ palying against another elite team didn't cause them to drastically under perform. It was the opposite, they rose to the challenge and played some of their best rugby in a long long time. And they did it at the most important time in their careers. That's the difference between between having that elite mental strength and belief and not having it. These Irish players don't have it.

No one is saying every big narrow defeat should be ascribed yo bottling. But playing well below your normal standards and losing in the most important game, well, I think that's a pretty accurate description of bottling it. At the end of the day, I don't know how everyone woukd sum up a description of 'bottling it' but to me, that's a fairly accurate description. Now people could argue that ireland didn't under perform, but I'd disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What defined the game was.

Jordan's try.

Ireland's awful set piece.

NZ's superior breakdown work.

Ireland were inferior at every basic skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Without Ardie Savea, New Zealand lose that game last night. What a performance. A tad lucky not to see the bin but Barnes was never giving another yellow after the soft knock on one.

He was a colossus.

Honourable mention to Cane too, a defensive performance for the ages.

Advertisement