Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia Rejects Recognition of Aboriginals - For Shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Do the Aborigines commit as much crime as Irish Travellers?

Is there a large percentage of them in prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,201 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I heard during the week that a poll had up to 40% of Indigenous Australians voting No.

The premise polled very well initially, but as details or should I say, lack of details emerged, more and more people turned against it.

The issue was seen as elitist, and the number coming out confirmed that.

Only Canberra and some wealthy suburbs in Sydney and the like voted for 'Yes'. The rest of the nation, especially working class areas voted 'No'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭yagan

Racism is a right of passage for each new wave of immigration, but it's always the native people who remain the primary target for racism, like with the recent "intervention" which turned out to be a fabrication.

The drunks you see in the cities tend to be expelled from their own communities. There are dry communities.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I may have only been in Australia for a month 23 years ago, but my cousins who live there (in Lismore, near the NSW/Queensland border) and many other Australians say that racism is deeply ingrained, is endemic and a cancer on the country.

Here’s a good opinion piece from an Australian who knows much more about this referendum than myself who says that this result was the culmination of a campaign of lies, misinformation and an appeal to the base racist nature of votes.

It’s a despicable and deplorable result in the year 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

It makes it reality , you can argue that primitive cultures will always struggle following contact with more advanced societies

in my experience, Aussies are a little rough around the edges but have good hearts and are fair minded , I prefer them to kiwis

The Yes vote campaign Sounds like an intellectual vanity project for the liberal intelligentsia

I hear people who wear glasses and read books are all agents for the intelligentsia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

(Posting this from New South Wales).

This was such a missed opportunity that has really gone sour for the PM. Had he decided to hold a basic referendum on constitutional recognition and legislated a voice to Parliament it would have passed with flying colours. Referendums are notoriously difficult to pass in Australia, requiring a national majority and a majority in 4/6 of the states. It was very clear from the beginning that WA and Qld were going to be solid no votes, but the no votes in the other states (South Australia was seen as a tossup last week - ended up 65% no despite the PM making several trips to Adelaide and regional SA to campaign) and the extent of same came as a surprise.

In the end, it's clear to see where the fault lines are. The yes voting districts were affluent suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney with million dollar houses and Canberra, the political bubble (same as Washington DC voting for Democrats every time by 70+% margins). The squeezed commuter districts were heavy no votes. Given the housing crisis and the cost of living issues (as in Ireland) it was always going to be a big backlash against the Government for focusing on so called "woke" issues instead of focusing on day to day issues for people.

To compare loosely to Ireland, the areas that voted yes are areas that would be bigger supporters of the Green Party and their policies. It's a similar type of divide.

Does compulsory voting apply to referendums there? I only remember it being for national elections.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes, compulsory voting. Busy outside the polling stations all day.

Thanks.

I bet the idea got stuck in people's minds that this would give aboriginal corporations a veto, even though it's only about a voice.

There's no monuments in Canberra for the frontier wars, they don't want to talk about that.

An unfortunately legacy of how they were brutalised.

There was a rape policy where young girls were taken and then systematically bred with whites to "bred the black out if them".

White australia doesn't really talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That’s a silly article, it was not a proxy referendum on indigenous peoples right to exist in their own land, that’s hysterical misinformation.

Of course people who supported the referendum are disappointed but labelling people who don’t agree with you is a bad look.

in the interests of balance one would hope the Guardian had opinion articles from people who backed the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Referendums are dangerous tools these days, of course it does give a true reflection of society, but if you don't like the answer, don't ask the questions. You could have a referendum in Ireland, UK, France, Germany etc, and the result every time would come down on the side of rejecting more rights for what are seen as '' outsiders'' . The majority of people are sick and tired of the far left agenda, and if controversial subjects are put to a referendum society will speak, but isn't that democracy ? How can there be outrage over democracy??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

In view of what happened in Canada, and our legacy in regard to Native peoples, I am not shocked, just disturbed, as per usual in this kind of situation.

When the Canadian government wanted to "clear the land for Euro settlers in the late nineteenth, they proceeded to displace Cree communities that were located in the prairie provinces to territory around James Bay in Quebec, where Innu and Inuit people crossed paths with them.

Fast forward to the early seventies, the Cree were displaced, disturbed again when Quebec decided to build massive Hydro dams along the La Grande river which was essentially the size of England in scope.

Nowadays, it is increasingly difficult to plan and execute these developments without compromising solutions of a higher order toward indigenous populations, and also the "white villages" near the coveted sites. On Quebec’s Lower North Shore, the Innu communities and towns along the Gulf of St Lawrence got massive annual contributions for allowing development of the Romaine project to go through.

The technique is now to promise jobs and training to locals, and shower them with money.

The reason why Australia and Canada wanted the Indigenous populations to settle is that the nomadic lifestyle meant these people could and did claim rightful use of territory (UN…) since they occupied it versus the invaders purchasing mining claims and unbridled expropriation policies. Not a pretty picture. I am thinking that Rio Tinto and other large Australian mining concerns have a very strong commitment to keeping with the status quo in these matters. In Canada, BC is a good place to look at constant scuffles btwn Government and First Nations as far as territorial uses go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,201 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ironically, the far left were on the No side in this one.

"Opposition also emerged from the far left of progressive politics and a minority of grassroots Indigenous activists, who rejected the voice while calling for more significant reconciliation measures, including a treaty with Aboriginal Australians."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

No was absolutely the correct decision. There is no justification for separating a particular ethnic group in the constitution and giving them special status. That has always and will always lead to disaster. Especially in a muti-ethnic melting pot like Australia, where people from literally hundreds of different countries have come to make home. Just treat everyone the same with equal rights.

Lets bear in mind the Irish were treated horribly in Australian for the first 200 years of its existence. Should the Irish have special status in the constitution? where does it stop.

This is just the type of woke nonsense dreamed up in the office of an NGO, and make no mistake its coming to Ireland.

The vote wasn't giving any one a veto.

Again it's same nonsense that being spread that the abos are taking our lawn. Every generation seems to go through hysteria before understanding the issue in retrospect.

• Unfortunately about Aboriginal people living in a white dominated society & culture, they never had alcohol in their society and culture and their bodies haven’t adapted to the culture bestowed on them by white settlers. The result is that alcohol has a particularly bad effect on their bodies. They become addicted very rapidly and their metabolism & brains just don’t deal with its effects well, so it can lead to major social problems, ending up in jail etc. white settle my did no favours to the indigenous people who had for millennia been experts at coping with an extreme form of living in harmony with nature in a challengingly hot climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Haven’t seen Australia bate Mayo out the gate in many AI Finals 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No as I stated in my post I’ve met relatively few , and all in NYC . I found all of them quite racist and intolerant of non caucations . Small sample size but MY experience. I never claimed ALL Australia was like that just the ones IVE met

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Irish in Australia were not the original owners of the land, and had it stolen.

If you want to use an Irish analogy use the plantation of ulster only worse.

Here is the post you made that I responded to.

It is a blanket assumption.

I have family who live in Australia and who are Australian citizens. They are regular people who live their lives without hate. Of course there is racism in Australia, they are not unique in that way but it isn't every person. The sweeping statements of the country and it's inhabitants being racist are very unfair. It is a vast vast place and while you may have had negative experiences regarding the Australian people you met that does not mean that "Australians are horrible people".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Irish travellers absolutely deserve equal treatment which they don't get.

You can be absolutely certain that if my family was burning rubbish at my home we'd be prosecuted, if my family wasn't sending my children to school Tulsa would be visiting, my family was organising riots or racing on main roads in the streets of towns the gardai might notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Sometimes when it comes to racism, the Australians can be a bit misunderstood.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0YM9Ereg2Zo&si=Imyu_uQJ-8ud2jbu

Advertisement