Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yes, you could trot out a list of excuses, serial losers are good at that. Plenty of practice at the old excuses.

Better team, better form, minimal injuries, 2 opposition yellow cards. And yet they played below par and lost to a historically weak NZ team.

And people don't want to call it what it really is. No wonder history keeps repeating itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

That’s your opinion. It’s not a fact.

Very few teams perform at their best in any game. Take soccer. Man U won the CL in 1999. Well below their best. Liverpool in 2005. Below their best particularly first half. Chelsea 2012, below their best. Liverpool 2019. Below their best. None of those teams are chokers. In fact, United in 1999 particularly are the opposite of chokers.

At that level, no team performs “at their best” because you have the best in the world on the other side of the fence stopping you from doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They are the same as the english soccer media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

So New Zealand didn't perform at their best last night?

They were down to 14 men for 20 minutes. We couldnt capitalise. Id hate to see them at their best. There would have been more than 4 in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

People are rationalising this as NZ putting in this world ending performance.

That's just not the case.

They defended well, but our work at the ruck area was appalling. I lost count of the one up runners we ran with. That has the square root of nothing to do with NZ. They simply tackled their hearts out and waited for mistakes, which we handed to them with isolated ball carriers - over and over again. Even JGP's try was lucky in the sense nobody backed him up. If he'd been stopped, NZ would've stolen.

NZ scoring off that line-out when Mo'unga ran through a chasm was simply bad.

NZ were up 13-0 without doing much other than defend well, wait for our set piece to fail, and hit one strike play.

There was never a world where you just turn up and beat NZ, but this narrative where they were incredible isn't entirely true. They defended well and hit us with sucker punches off the back of our failing set piece. Porter terribly naive in the scrum, and line-out calls a problem once again.

Not a choke job per se, but it was 100% one that was left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

You had two players out of the game for 10 minutes each. Would you say they performed at their best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭omega man

Looking on social media the majority of articles and comments talk of pride and the success / progress Andy has brought to Irish rugby. None of which I disagree with but I can’t help think that SA, France or NZ wouldn’t accept a QF exit. Are we too accepting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd love to know how you decide this is the worst New Zealand team in history.

Are you going to have the same opinion if they win the World Cup?

If that's the case then you have already decided that every other team is awful.

This New Zealand team have won four consecutive Rugby Championships, that's tied most consecutive wins in the tournaments history along with the All-blacks from 05-08.

Could you read my post about the way Ireland looked very tired for the last twenty minutes and give your opinion on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Judging by some a the posts here we’re delusionally unaccepting

• Advertisement

He's now asking for Farrell's head😅 Showing his rugby 'knowledge'.

There is a cohort posters/people who deliberately hyped up and overrated our chances of victory just so they could have a good slating of our team when we came up short. Always been same here

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

We lost on another QF. We were told by the experts that this was our time. Our world cup to win.

A lot of the support bought into it.

We absolutely failed and to accept it and not try to understand why we always fail on the only world stage that really matters is the reason why we have this conversation every four years.

Spot on. Mr Disco is a troll who has prepared for months. Even started match threads. How pathetic is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,271 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The draw meant no matter what 2 of us was going to be out as the top 4 teams were always going to meet in the QFs. Last night and tonight are imo the tournament semi finals as the results of next week's semi finals are effectively a given again thanks to the draw. Now I'm not saying we should consider it as having made the semi finals but I don't see why people are so quick or happy to act as if the sky has fallen when we still have a hell of a team to build on for the next 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think a big part of the frustration / disappointment is that we went out at the quarter final stage - which is totally on the RWC organisers. It's insane that we had to play a top 4 side and three times WC winners as the top ranked team ourselves at only the last eight stage.

Defeat by the ABs at the semi stage would have been more tolerable at least. We're going to see a similar travesty this evening when either SA or France depart the competition.

No doubt the RFU will pay Deloitte to carry out an expensive root and branch review to complicate things.

I agree but in the wider scheme of things we’ve had 8 WC QFs and never progressed. That suggests it’s not down to luck, on or off the pitch.

It’ll be hard to produce a squad better than we had for this WC so there’s fine margins on that front for the next WC. Outside of that surely mentality is the key?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

I thought Aaron Smith was very good. I don't think his yellow card takes away from that.

Fiji to stuff England just to dull the pain a last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It isnt luck and its not that we've never progressed beyond a quarter its we've never won a knock out game. its been 1 pool exit, a quarter final playoff defeat and the 8 quarter finals. Mentality is part of it to an extent. But if its all about mentality how do you change that?

Most irish fans are closet case brits so you are in a minority i think.

Mod: Trolling.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

It's also outrageous how Ireland have had to play 3 top 5 sides before the SF and yet Argentina & England/Fiji have to play 0. Like I said earlier when two of the QF's are effectively SF's then that tells you just how badly WR f*cked up with the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

It wasn't an amazing NZ performance that beat us, we'd have lost to any of the top teams last night. Even Wales would have troubled us. They'd have tackled hard and competed at the breakdown just like NZ did. There was nothing NZ did that England couldn't have done. There were no revolutionary methods that surprised us that only the All Blacks could produce. Our performance last night would have only been good enough against Scotland, any other top ranked team could have handled us like NZ.

Winning a QF would do the job nicely but until then it’s an obstacle that we must overcome somehow otherwise the vicious cycle will continue. And that’s assuming we have the players to do it!

I would think that most of us agree once we get past that hurdle we’ll feature in many SFs etc.

Argentina are facing into their 3rd SF ffs.

I’ve wanted England to win games plenty times. And Nout to do with being a “closet Brit.” Today, I’d rather Fiji win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

If you cant see how doing a draw 4 years out from a RWC can lead to crappy lopsided draw's like what we've got in this tournament then idk what else I can say to you.

Advertisement