Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We lost on another QF. We were told by the experts that this was our time. Our world cup to win.

A lot of the support bought into it.

We absolutely failed and to accept it and not try to understand why we always fail on the only world stage that really matters is the reason why we have this conversation every four years.

Spot on. Mr Disco is a troll who has prepared for months. Even started match threads. How pathetic is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,148 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The draw meant no matter what 2 of us was going to be out as the top 4 teams were always going to meet in the QFs. Last night and tonight are imo the tournament semi finals as the results of next week's semi finals are effectively a given again thanks to the draw. Now I'm not saying we should consider it as having made the semi finals but I don't see why people are so quick or happy to act as if the sky has fallen when we still have a hell of a team to build on for the next 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think a big part of the frustration / disappointment is that we went out at the quarter final stage - which is totally on the RWC organisers. It's insane that we had to play a top 4 side and three times WC winners as the top ranked team ourselves at only the last eight stage.

Defeat by the ABs at the semi stage would have been more tolerable at least. We're going to see a similar travesty this evening when either SA or France depart the competition.

• Advertisement

No doubt the RFU will pay Deloitte to carry out an expensive root and branch review to complicate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

I agree but in the wider scheme of things we’ve had 8 WC QFs and never progressed. That suggests it’s not down to luck, on or off the pitch.

It’ll be hard to produce a squad better than we had for this WC so there’s fine margins on that front for the next WC. Outside of that surely mentality is the key?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

I thought Aaron Smith was very good. I don't think his yellow card takes away from that.

Fiji to stuff England just to dull the pain a last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It isnt luck and its not that we've never progressed beyond a quarter its we've never won a knock out game. its been 1 pool exit, a quarter final playoff defeat and the 8 quarter finals. Mentality is part of it to an extent. But if its all about mentality how do you change that?

• Advertisement

Most irish fans are closet case brits so you are in a minority i think.

Mod: Trolling.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

It's also outrageous how Ireland have had to play 3 top 5 sides before the SF and yet Argentina & England/Fiji have to play 0. Like I said earlier when two of the QF's are effectively SF's then that tells you just how badly WR f*cked up with the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

It wasn't an amazing NZ performance that beat us, we'd have lost to any of the top teams last night. Even Wales would have troubled us. They'd have tackled hard and competed at the breakdown just like NZ did. There was nothing NZ did that England couldn't have done. There were no revolutionary methods that surprised us that only the All Blacks could produce. Our performance last night would have only been good enough against Scotland, any other top ranked team could have handled us like NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

Winning a QF would do the job nicely but until then it’s an obstacle that we must overcome somehow otherwise the vicious cycle will continue. And that’s assuming we have the players to do it!

I would think that most of us agree once we get past that hurdle we’ll feature in many SFs etc.

Argentina are facing into their 3rd SF ffs.

I’ve wanted England to win games plenty times. And Nout to do with being a “closet Brit.” Today, I’d rather Fiji win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

If you cant see how doing a draw 4 years out from a RWC can lead to crappy lopsided draw's like what we've got in this tournament then idk what else I can say to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Will be interesting to see the performance levels in this six nations for us v the previous six nations. The draw being made that far out was a farce...

Would he good to get ROG involved in the irfu

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭tbm

Yeah but I don’t think losing to New Zealand by a score in a ridiculously competitive knockout match can be considered bottling it. And there were actually few handling errors, from either side compared to the earlier game. NZ bossed the breakdown in the first 20 mins, and that was what won the game ultimately.

We bottled it against Wales in 2011, and against the Pumas in 2015 (though the injuries didn’t help). We were just shite in 2019, but we were in the game till the death yesterday. These matches are decided by insanely small margins. The draw always meant we could play really well and still lose a 1/4 final given the potential opposition.

That held up try. Those cross field kicks. It’s already a psychologically damaging loss to the players - and the fans - so to label them bottlers is IMO untrue and counter productive. Even when we won the GS this year, it was always leading to yesterday. Are the Pumas a better team than us? Are England?

I know, “coulda shoulda woulda”. We still lost. Again. It’s poxy. Let’s all blame Dorris for that knock on, or Porter for getting the wrong side of Barnes.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

He’s off the pitch for more than 10% of the game. He can’t be anywhere near performing at his best.

This nails it. This wasn’t a QF against Wales/Scotland/England (albeit no QF a gimme/eazy), it was a QF against 3 times winners and historically the best team in history. So what if we beat them recently.. it’s a QF game in a WC against the ABs

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nosher Tompkins

Of course you would.

Ireland's best supported club is Anyone But England United.

Great for the lols on this side of the Irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I'm not sure if it has been pointed out but our only try scorers on the night were from New Zealand (plus penalty try). Lowe also had a good game I think. They haven't lived in Ireland all their lives and watched Ireland repeatedly collapse at the quarter final stage. Maybe they didn't have the mental frailties the rest of the team has?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

I always thought our lineout has never really worked well in the last few years, this blind faith of having POC there to fix it were delusional. Is it a player or a forwards coaching issue I'm unsure. A bit of both buy at the end of day Farrell should have recognised the weakness and that we didn't appear to have the tools to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

We need to start training for the next World Cup today.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Ireland looked tired in last 20min cos Farrell knew he didn’t have the depth so played the same players non stop.and yes just look at the results of NZ since 2021.lose to Ireland and France,Argentine.drew against England lost multiple times to Sa.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

That's a unique angle. This certainly isn't a vintage AB side but I thought they played at a very high level of intensity and accuracy on the night.

I don't think it will be massively surprising if they go all the way, though France is still the favourite (and if SA topple them it's a fairly even bet).

• Advertisement

Are both semis next Friday?

Advertisement