Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Will be interesting to see the performance levels in this six nations for us v the previous six nations. The draw being made that far out was a farce...

Would he good to get ROG involved in the irfu

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tbm

Yeah but I don’t think losing to New Zealand by a score in a ridiculously competitive knockout match can be considered bottling it. And there were actually few handling errors, from either side compared to the earlier game. NZ bossed the breakdown in the first 20 mins, and that was what won the game ultimately.

We bottled it against Wales in 2011, and against the Pumas in 2015 (though the injuries didn’t help). We were just shite in 2019, but we were in the game till the death yesterday. These matches are decided by insanely small margins. The draw always meant we could play really well and still lose a 1/4 final given the potential opposition.

That held up try. Those cross field kicks. It’s already a psychologically damaging loss to the players - and the fans - so to label them bottlers is IMO untrue and counter productive. Even when we won the GS this year, it was always leading to yesterday. Are the Pumas a better team than us? Are England?

I know, “coulda shoulda woulda”. We still lost. Again. It’s poxy. Let’s all blame Dorris for that knock on, or Porter for getting the wrong side of Barnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

He’s off the pitch for more than 10% of the game. He can’t be anywhere near performing at his best.

• Advertisement

This nails it. This wasn’t a QF against Wales/Scotland/England (albeit no QF a gimme/eazy), it was a QF against 3 times winners and historically the best team in history. So what if we beat them recently.. it’s a QF game in a WC against the ABs

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nosher Tompkins

Of course you would.

Ireland's best supported club is Anyone But England United.

Great for the lols on this side of the Irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I'm not sure if it has been pointed out but our only try scorers on the night were from New Zealand (plus penalty try). Lowe also had a good game I think. They haven't lived in Ireland all their lives and watched Ireland repeatedly collapse at the quarter final stage. Maybe they didn't have the mental frailties the rest of the team has?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭typhoony

I always thought our lineout has never really worked well in the last few years, this blind faith of having POC there to fix it were delusional. Is it a player or a forwards coaching issue I'm unsure. A bit of both buy at the end of day Farrell should have recognised the weakness and that we didn't appear to have the tools to fix it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

We need to start training for the next World Cup today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Ireland looked tired in last 20min cos Farrell knew he didn’t have the depth so played the same players non stop.and yes just look at the results of NZ since 2021.lose to Ireland and France,Argentine.drew against England lost multiple times to Sa.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

That's a unique angle. This certainly isn't a vintage AB side but I thought they played at a very high level of intensity and accuracy on the night.

I don't think it will be massively surprising if they go all the way, though France is still the favourite (and if SA topple them it's a fairly even bet).

Are both semis next Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Ireland deserved to lose that game just for having a fan who thinks it is a great bit of absolute horseplay to bring a pineapple to the stadium and wave it in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Theres nuance to every game and every result. But in the cold hard light of day this was a world cup with

- the most talented and best prepared Irish team ever

- the weakest Australian team ever

- the weakest English team in decades

- the weakest Welsh team in decades

- a very average Scotland

- a poor Italy

- the weakest Argentine team in about 15 years

- a very good but injury hit French team

- a very good S.A team

As golden an opportunity in history to progress to a semi final minimum and they bottled it. They were slow to breakdown, ponderous in possession, months in camp together and the lineout didn't improve one iota. It was a complete and utter bottle job.

N.Z did nothing crazy, just kicked from play smartly and contested the kicks. Challenged the obviously weak line out. Contested the breakdown as quickly as they could with numbers. Simple things and it was enough. If they won breakdown ball from proper contests then ok, but it was quite literally an isolated irish player with only 1 support player coming in late or at some stages no support at all. Thats lack of bottle, lack of composure and it was repeated all over the pitch.

This was an absolute failure of a tournament from an Irish perspective. To look at it from any other perspective is an excercise in mediocrity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Where are all the videos of us Irish dancing around not giving a **** about the result. Only the great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

A massive failure of management leaving Sexton on hoping to fulfil his dream end to his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

someone said crowley wasn't ready , sorry shouldn't be on the bench then. sexton was cooked and ireland left him on the bench. crazy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭crushproof

Couldn't have put it better myself, spot on. From an Irish sports perspective it was a massively missed opportunity to finally win something big and put a mark on the world.

• Advertisement

Johnny Sexton 2 Grand Slams, 4 ERCs, World player of the Year.

What a great, great player, living in the head of begrudgers rent free for 15 years😊

Enjoy your retirement!

Sexton was indulged for the last 2 years. He should have just retired and allowed proper prep for a new outhalf - Crowley, Byrne whoever. This praying he’d last at the top level til he’s nearly 40 was crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Aahhhh hindsight. If only I had have went on only fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How could he or anybody else be ready when they don't get any real game time?

As I recall Sexton started 5 of the 6 Six nations games, only missing one due to injury. Then they arrive at a world cup wondering why there is no backup to Sexton.

This is the point and the usual refrain is - well no one is good enough, no one has stepped up blah blah blah. Total nonsense. Saint Johnny is partly responsible for another QF malfunction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭riddles

The score was 7-3 Ireland I think for the period of the sin binnings which I'd imagine is way less to what we accumulate on average previously

Thread seems to have a few Carlow chaps on. By lad, aye lad🤣

Those outhalves needed to take the position. Real power isn't something you're given, it's something you take.

David Humphreys didn't roll over for ROG, ROG didn't roll over for Sexton.

Not Sexton's fault he was still the best outhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

It happens every 4 years because of the central contracts

BOD, Best were kept too long

Same will happen or is currently happening with Earls,POM, Healy, Murray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

And yet.... Sexton is the best option available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are the thoughts around Porter's penatles in the scrum? Were they justified? I thought he had his man turning in first.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement