Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭RINO87

Have never seen this. Must try for research purposes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭RINO87

Oh it's a no from me on the Waterloo stuff. Had two last night and feeling the effects today. In fact it was one of those beers that you just know from the first sip is going to give you a bad head!!

Mine came very fizzy even after being chilled over night, large bubbles too so the head was a mess and not a tight creamy one as should be on these beers.

Initial taste was very chemical, but that calmed down a little after the beer had been in the glass for a while, which it had to do to let the bubbles calm the fcku down...

Think I'll stick to the Bornem stuff if getting a tripel/blonde from lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 34,721 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You're not going to get a creamy head on a non-nitro beer.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭banchang

Long shot.

Tesco are currently selling 12 x 330ml bottles of Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc for Eur16.

Accompanying this promotion, Tesco were selling 1664 Blanc classes. I got the last one in Artaine today, & there were none in Clearwater. Looking to pick up a couple more. Anyone know where I could find them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,572 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@banchang I'm pretty sure Tesco Kilbarrack sells Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc but dunno about the glasses.

You might get lucky there as it is one of the quieter Tescos.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Have you tasted the 1664? I had it in France a few months back and really liked it. Bought some here and very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The ones bought here had to be the usual renowned UK brewed muck I would assume. I remember having some 1664 in France a good few years back and I was lovely over there

You'd need a magnifying glass to see where some beers are actually brewed, passing off a beer as something it isn't shouldn't be legal.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Tesco & Dunnes

• San Miguel 12x330ml €14.06

Centra

• Moretti 12x330 €15 (12th - 15th Oct)

Lidl

• Guinness 8x500 €13.26
    • Smithicks 8x500 €12
    • Hop House 8x500 €12.94

(12th-18th Oct)

Everything priced at MUP except the Moretti

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Scary subject title in the weekly email from Tesco: €25 bottles of beer...

Yikes.

Apparently it is €25 for 20 x 330ml bottles of Heineken.

Full list here of beer offers:

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/buylists/rugby-essentials/beer-cider?sc_cmp=eml*ire*mar*tec*ROI_GHS_231012&utm_source=GHS&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2023-33-GHS&utm_content=beer-CTA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭John arse

Tesco double the price of a cheap wine for a week or two then put it back to normal price and suddenly it's a half price bargain???WTF🤔

Some of them are nice enough at the 'bargain' price but I "pity the fool" that pays full whack for one. They are really more like €10 - €12 bottles to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they've been doing that for years - the likes of Santa Rita and Wolfblass are always on special offer, you'd be nuts to pay full price.

No, it is not the likes of Santa Rita, those big brands, they are on offer but it's usually couple of euros off. Same as any other supermarket selling them.

It is the "brands" that you can only buy in Tesco, nowhere else, which are frequently half price. If you see a bottle half price in Tesco, and nowhere else stocks it, it is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Had it in france a few months ago too and it was good. Muck the stuff they try and pawn off on us here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I bought 660ml Birra Morretti bottles in North a few months ago without realising they were UK brewed. I still had a couple of the Italian brewed bottles and it was staggering the difference drinking one bottle of the smooth Italian brewed bottles followed immediately with one of the gassy more bitter almost flavourless UK brewed bottle of the so called exact same beer

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

It’s crazy. Why would it not be same? Is there anywhere here we’re you can buy no UK stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,425 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't understand what they are at, they are destroying their brands by brewing mickey mouse stuff on the cheap that tastes nothing like their home brewed stuff, I've actually blacklisted beers I'd normally have had switched over to from time to time as it's just not worth drinking the pure piss. Corona, Birra Morretti, Heineken (more recently) and probably more at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I guess it’s like Guinness. Brewed all over the world. Same recipe but differing qualities of water. Can be the only difference when you think of it. Or at least should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Grolsh brewed Tyske is awful stuff altogether. Like drinking sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the foreign Guinness breweries are still owned by Guinness though, aren't they? These continental lagers brewed in the UK are "brewed under license", they're really just licensing the brand, the local brewers alter the recipe to cater for the local market.

It's the same with Carlsberg and Budweiser brewed here under license by Guinness (though Irish Heineken is brewed in Cork, by Heineken, and is also **** compared to the Dutch version).

Centra:

• Bulmers 15x500 €26.63
    • Bud 15x500 €25.45
    • Carlsberg 15x500 €25.45
    • Guinness 15x500 €24.85
    • Heinneken 15x500 €24.45

(all priced at MUP)

https://centra.ie/offers?category_id=512

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

The 660 bottles are generally Italian but be careful. The rip off aldi morrretti is more drinkable than the uk brewed crap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any decent gin offers? Also suggest some gins

Scary subject title in the weekly email from Tesco: €25 bottles of beer...

Give Alcohol Action Ireland a break, they've achieved a lot lately, they're working on this but it'll take a while. 😛

The Prague brewed Staropramen is lovely, the UK brewed is muck. As things stand the 500mL bottles come from Prague, 660mL from the UK, but it's very hard to tell without a close look at the small print on the back label. This shíte shouldn't be allowed, it's deceiving the customer.

I heard the Guinness brewery in Nigeria (which is huge) uses sorghum instead of barley. But unless you go to Africa you won't be drinking that!

All Guinness in the UK and US comes from St James's Gate, there used to be the Park Royal brewery in London but that closed and has been demolished.

You'd nearly puke watching those Madri ads. A totally fake brand brewed in an industrial estate in England but pretending to be something else entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Foxes Bowe whiskey was reduced to €29 from €40 earlier this week in SuperValu- not sure if it’s still available as my local store doesn’t stock it

Advertisement