Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby world cup post mortem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Well this is not true at all

The SH team always have the benefit of having a Rugby Championship prior to the World Cup, the NH teams are trying to get themselves up to speed at the start of the season.

Switch around to have the competition after the 6 nations when the NH teams are battled hardened and see what the results are like then.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Seadin

But it's irrelevant after we are knocked out. The No1 team is the team that wins the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭noc1980

In fairness, going 13 points down before firing any shot is bottling it at this stage of the tournament. Didn't see anything close to that in the France SA game. Quarter finals are typically tight, back and forth affairs. Wales in 2011, Argentina in 2015, NZ in 2019 and now 2023. Chasing a game and never in control at any stage. Last time we had a lead in a QF was 7 world cups ago. If that's not bottling it I'd hate to see what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Yoshimi79

I'm still gutted over the result. Thought Ireland might finally get past a quarter final. Someone else mentioned about game management here which I think I'd have to agree with. Why can't the players just stop for a minute, take a breath and think about what to do. It's like they panic.

Like, why in the hell did James Lowe kick the ball back up the field the second he called a mark? No Irish player was ready for it or in a good position at all and it led to the All Blacks first try. If he had waited even 5 seconds most of them could have been up by the 22 instead of 10 or 15m back. I just couldn't believe he did that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭enricoh

Done a stint in new Zealand before, if new Zealand were number 1 ranked team and went out at quarter finals there'd be no kiwis calling them heroic. A third of the team n the manager would be sent to pasture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Oh god you aren't allowed to say bottling on here.

They don't owe anybody anything I agree. Heros they certainly are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭TRC10

But just you watch, they'll get a heroes welcome at Dublin airport tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Two razor thin defeats for Ireland and France. Both could easily have gone the other way. Just the reality of high level sport with teams of a similar standard. All on the day.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

That would be embarrassing and something I'm sure the players would not like. Well I'd like to think they'd hate the idea of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Another day, the ref would have correctly awarded the penalty that Pollard kicked to France. Another day, Barrett wouldn't have produced a miraculous piece of defending to deny Ireland.

Oh no wait actually, both teams bottled it and NH rugby is gone to shite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

A few posters here will be out cheering them home I’d venture

It's such a loser mentality , it's like we need to be underdogs for everything all the time . The world cup has been a failure. That's a cold hard fact , anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What's wrong with acknowledging their achievements and effort, your expectations are your own business, not too many sports we getting as far in,I am ashamed of some of the Irish people crawling out of the woodwork to criticize the team today, people with no interest in sport just looking to knock our own mainly from what I can see, lurking in the shadows xxxxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Seadin

Because Lowe has always been a liability and is not as a good player as what some people make him out to be. That was disgraceful what he did at that moment resulting in a NZ try.

• Advertisement

Go out and shake your plastic green white and orange hammer at them so and enjoy yourself.

No bother,I will cheer our own, you can boo away, enjoy

Yeah you do that - embarrass them and yourself in that lack of self awareness manner to your hearts content

• Advertisement

No I amnt at all , and it's such a hilarious response. How dare I criticize the Irish rugby team because I can't get on it? Such a funny viewpoint.

That's not it, but I would be feeding the parasites to answer further, enjoy, good night

Well then it's a silly comment. Because I am shite at rugby I cant say that our world cup was a failure. Pull the other one. Good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

When you look back at it there was a lot of things that could have been done differently. Fatigue was definitely a factor. Not using proper squad rotation for those earlier games especially with some of our ageing key players. I think the others weren't to be trusted and a few had injuries. Its damn near impossible to win a WC with the same group week in week out. Our set pieces and the breakdown let us down and we still managed to beat SA and come within a score of NZ. I think there was a lot of postiives but we need to continue to learn and adapt to tournament rugby if we're to ever get past a QF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

IMHO NZ were not there for the taking. They're a class side despite indifferent form under Ian Foster. Their back row was world class vs Ireland and they had prepared thoroughly for this match. They deserved to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It’s not ‘on the day’ though as far as the question of Hemisphere performance in the World Cup is concerned, is it? The weight of data keeps adding up as we play more tournaments and the conclusion is very clear: Rugby Union is a Southern Hemisphere game. One Northern Hemisphere win from nine tournaments, and frequent outcomes like this where we have majority Southern Hemisphere participation in the semi finals.

The hype we see for the Six Nations and Autumn Internationals seems misplaced imo because it is clearly not the pinnacle of the game. We have a fair barometer of who are the best teams every four years and the answer is consistently New Zealand and South Africa. It is what it is, they are better than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MattressRick

The fatigue thing and squad rotation are mentioned every time the world cup ends.

Look at the autumn internationals. Do South Africa or New Zealand ever really pour as much of themselves into those as we do, or they do in a world cup? I feel like they always have a player or 2 that is only starting out their career too, blooding players in a big game outside of a world cup. We always go into Christmas thinking we're going to win the next world cup if we win all 3 autumn internationals.

Need to start treating the world cup as the goal. To be honest it's actually a very poor reflection on players and management across the last 30 years that no team has gotten over a quarter final. We've even gotten Wales and Argentina and been beaten. Argentina are into their third semi final FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,437 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Irish rugby is at the end of something now.

It's important during the transition that has to come that we don't do a soccer thing on it and let the negative voices take over. The bitter recriminatory 'I told you so' embarassers will win if they are let.

That is what they do, they love to see good things crash and burn and will be waiting in the wings to get their fix.

The reality is we lost a 50/50 game while deservedly being viewed as one of the best teams in the world.

We still are one of the best and that is where we are at.

The negative ninny's will keep shouting 'bottlers', but they should be ignored as we use the structures and systems to rebuild. Learn from how Irish soccer ripped itself apart and didn't prepare for a future that was going to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The SH team try to win all these games, sorry but it is nonsense to think that countries are not trying to win games between World Cup.

The SA and NZ teams are made up of experienced international players. They also have a captive audience in their country with rugby been the number 1 sport, every top star in that country will play rugby if possible. Then if rugby doesn't work out they move onto other sports.

We are already treating the World Cup as a goal but we also need to keep the lights on. Both NZ and SA are desperate to get into the 6 nations. If they had a yearly competition like the 6 nations would they be so worried about the World Cup? no they wouldn't. As they only have the World Cup they put a huge focus on it.

Did you see the side of the draw for Argentina?

Ireland has maybe 10% of the population playing rugby and we have a Grand Slam won, u20 6 nations and u20 into the World Cup finals. We need to continue to develop young players, touch more young players and get them playing. That's the only way forward. If we had the depth of options like NZ and SA would we improve? of course we would!!

Also a global calendar would be intersting to see how good NZ and SA are if they played all the teams at the same time, they are battled hardened after playing in rugby championship etc. We played all our players to try get them up to speed and just missed out. If this was at end of 6 nations with the Ireland team humming would they have won? no idea but it would be interesting to see. The SH of course will fight the global calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Field east

Lowe normally has a long and ACCURATE kick. Maybe he has a gap in the NZ back line and thought that his kick would go over the sideline

• Advertisement

Hard to know where to go from here. A six nations win would seem incredibly boring and hollow at this stage. There's nothing the team can really do to excite as the last month has. Grim.

This is more negative rubbish from somebody who doesn't seem to know how it works.

Sorry that's just my personal opinion, I was so hyped up for this world cup. This was meant to be it. Now we are going to try win a six nations , just seems poxy. And that's because of the major success of this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nonyabidness23

They left a WC behind em they had all the ability but not the mentality when it mattered the most, It cant be sugar coated a utter failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

A Six Nations win with some new blood in key positions would be very encouraging. Could easily have a dip in performance after this, so if we managed to win while bringing in new talent (or giving more game time to current young bench or fringe players) would be a great success. I wouldn't be confident of it though, with France the primary threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The poster you quoted isn't great with numbers.

On another thread they claimed that a million Irish fans went to the world cup this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think looking at the France v South Africa match last night....Ireland wouldnt have been able to live with the intensity brought from either of those teams....but we should have been able to deal with NZ....got to a final...and gave a good account of ourselves.....

Instead..the same old story...knockout game of rugby- we get knocked out....

The world cup has been a failure for Ireland.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

These guys think it is them playing in the 6 Nations.

Of course it isn't and like in every sport after a competition, new players will emerge with their own targets to achieve.

Come the 6 Nations the real support will be up for cheering on the team, just like of old.

There is a desire for a crash and burn of recrimination and unwarranted criticism from some, they'll rightly be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

As someone who went to all the group games and thoroughly enjoyed their time in France, meeting great people and having some fantastic experiences, remember that is what sport is all about. It's supposed to be a diversion from the quotidian grind of life - not something that defines your very existence.

The team played brilliantly and were just outdone in a 50/50 game. Remember the good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I didn’t say that they didn’t deserve to win. They did and Ireland didn’t because as the guys on the VM panel said New Zealand brought their A game and Ireland didn’t. Ireland rarely have a better team than New Zealand, this time they did but for some reason and this happened against South Africa as well their line out malfunctioned and on top of that the scrum on New Zealand put ins malfunctioned.

That’s horrendous. To come to a tournament with the best chance ever but to fail to deal with those issues as they arose. New Zealand, South Africa etc they have a chance in nearly every World Cup to win it, this was Ireland’s chance and they blew it through unforced errors and the management failing to deal with it in game.

The tournament goes on Ireland are out.

Agree with this. We lost a game.

What we didn't lose was the talent coming through, the talent with years left to play, the structures and systems we have put in place to bring a minority sport here up to the world levels it is at.

Let me have all the above before I would take what Eng, Wales or Scot face in the years ahead.

Welsh rugby, despite going as far as we did in this tournament is by all accounts in a horrible place, so too are there problems looming in English rugby and the cracks have already undermined Scotland.

Unwarranted negativity can really do damage and it is important to take stock of where we really are. It was one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's a good job they owe us nothing, because that is what they delivered.

Those that embrace failure sicken my hole to be honest, they revel in it, proud to get a pat on the back for being good losers.

Ireland underperformed when it mattered. And it will keep happening as long as that sort of culture is tolerated.

Regardless, Ireland need to do what they needed to do every other time this happened, stop focusing on the micky mouse cups and start building for the big boys trophy. Imagine if one of the out half's had been given big 6 nations games to develop in? But no, had to be Sexton starting all the time.

They won't do it though. It will be exactly the same next time because people are too craven to call this result what it really was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Looking back at the last few weeks/months just highlights that again our strength in depth has been challenged.

Sexton should have been off in the last 20 minutes, he had nothing left to give and was a static target for NZ, who could focus their defence on the 12/13 channel, he wasnt even able to loop areound to the backline became static.

The management didnt seem to have faith in Crowley for some reason, who would have been coming into this world cup full of confidence after a successful year at Munster. JGP seemed a little like a rabbit in headlights, terrible decision making, I'll give him credit, a good snipe for the try, but some of his passing was poor. JVDF isnt the player he was 12 months ago, i dont think I remember him winning a breakdown almost all tournament, and for a 7 thats unbelievable.

The lineout was terrible all tournament, now whether thats down to chopping and changing hookers I dont know but you dont win games without a functioning set piece. Porter was getting pinged in the scrums and yet we had no-one to bring one, we needed to change the picture for Barnes as Porter was an easy target at scrum time.

Hansen wasnt fully fit, again was it a mistake to bring Earls with his injury profile, along with Henshaw, left us with limited cover in the backs. To be fair to Jimmy O'Brien, he did well when he came on.

There is a rebuild needed now, lots of u20's showing promise, lots of young lads at Munster/Leinster and Ulster.

6 nations coming up will be a big opportunity to freshen the team.

Sexton/Earls already gone, Healy will be gone, O'Mahony is 34, Kilcoyne 34, Murray 34, Aki 33...lots of the squad 30/31...long 4 year cycle ahead to the next world cup and hopefully some new faces to come in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you think the irish rugby players embrace failure then im not sure what you have been watching at international and provincial level for the last decade. Its fine margins unfortunately.

Sexton at 38 is still streets ahead of anyone else at 10, do you think a different outhalf would have won us that game?

So how do you do it buckety?

We played 17 games with a variety of options using the players available. We won 17. 4 of them at the WC (in some style)

How would you have prepped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Nobody is calling it a success, but some people (fairly reasonably, I would say) don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Some people also have the ability to recognise the achievements of the past couple of years, and the effort involved to raise the game in Ireland to these levels. For others, it's black and white, all or nothing.

I don't get the feeling anyone is looking for 'a pat on the back for being good losers'. I feel bitter, to be honest. The sight of Ioane taunting us in the crowd at the end of the game is etched in my mind.

But some still value everything that has been achieved, the effort put in, and recognise that we were one try-saving tackle away from being on the other side of the narrative this week.

There's nuance, it's just about whether you can/want to see it or not. Otherwise, Ireland and France are crap teams, and England and Argentina are among the titans of the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So on one hand it is fine margins, but at the same time replacing a misfiring and drained Sexton would not have made any difference.

Yes, I think that if Ireland had developed an alternative to Sexton that could have come on in the 2nd half then Ireland may have won that game. I think that had they given Crowley chances in the 6 nations he might have been ready to come in and make that difference.

I mean, is it fine margins or is it not?

• Advertisement
Advertisement