Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

If a kind soul presents an opportunity, I'll take it.

Keep an eye on the fixtures. A lot of rain.

Due to waterlogging in FBD Semple Stadium, the senior hurling game, Kiladangan v Holycross/Ballycahill due to be played tonight is off and has been rescheduled for tomorrow, Saturday, at 5.15pm and forms the second part of a double header with Loughmore/Castleiney v Roscrea.

There's a weekend pass available now for all games across all levels too. 30 something euros. That said, there could be a flood of cancelations.

The Lorrha v Clonakenny Premier Intermediate Hurling quarter final due to have been played this Saturday has been postponed due to a bereavement in Clonakenny. Revised fixture to be confirmed.

The County Intermediate Hurling Relegation game between Kiladangan v Shannon Rovers fixed for Cloughjordan on Saturday has been rescheduled for Sunday at 1.00pm in Cloughjordan

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

The majority of fields in tipp have better soakage than the stadium. The town end at the new stand side often has water sitting when other fields are perfect, need to get the forks out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Should have been 2 double headers anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final draw

Saturday 30 September

Loughmore/Castleiney v Thurles Sarsfields at 7.15pm, live on RTE

Sunday 1 October

Kiladangan v Toomevara at 3.30pm

Senior Hurling Relegation Semi-Final draw

Kilruane MacDonaghs v Upperchurch/Drombane

Clonoulty/Rossmore v JK Brackens

Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Final draw

Moneygall v Boherlahan-Dualla

Golden Kilfeacle v Kilsheelan/Kilcash·

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Advertisement

David Herity says you. Did you hear that?

Round 1, April 20/21 – Clare v Limerick, Waterford v Cork.

Round 2, April 27/28 – Cork v Clare, Limerick v Tipperary.

Round 3, May 4/5 – Waterford v Tipperary.

Round 3, May 11/12 – Cork v Limerick.

Round 4, May 18/19 – Clare v Waterford, Tipperary v Cork.

Round 5, May 25/26 – Limerick v Waterford, Tipperary v Clare.

Munster final – June 8/9.

RIP to Susan Whelehan, wife of Pad-Joe Whelehan. Condolences to Pad Joe, Brian, Simon, and Barry. No strangers to Tipp. Pad Joe won county titles as manager with at least two Tipp clubs. 2 with Toome. And Nenagh's only one. His successes with Birr is known everywhere.

https://x.com/BirrCLG/status/1704892576203993184?s=20

FBD Insurance Senior Hurling Relegation Semi Finals

Sunday October 1st @ 1pm in Dolla

Kilruane MacDonaghs v Upperchurch Drombane

Saturday September 30th @ 3.30pm in The Ragg

Clonoulty Rossmore v JK Brackens

FBD Insurance Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship Relegation Semi Finals

Saturday September 30th @ 1.30pm in Nenagh

Newport v Portroe

FBD Insurance Intermediate Hurling Championship Relegation Final

Saturday September 30th @ 3.30pm in Templederry

Kiladangan v Upperchurch Drombane

FBD Insurance Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi Finals

Saturday September 30th @ 3.45pm in Toomevara

Lorrha Dorrha v Cashel King Cormacs

Sunday October 1st @2pm in Boherlahan

Killenaule v Thurles Sarsfields

FBD Insurance Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi Finals

Saturday September 30th @ 1.30pm in Templetuohy

Moneygall v Boherlahan Dualla

Saturday September 30th @ 3.45pm in Littleton

Golden Kilfeacle v Kilsheelan Kilcash

FBD Insurance Junior “A” Hurling Championship Semi Finals

Saturday September 30th @ 2.30pm in Annacarty

Holycross Ballycahill v Ballinahinch

Sunday October 1st @ 12pm in Holycross

Clonoulty Rossmore v JK Brackens

FBD Insurance Junior “B” Hurling Championship Quarter Finals

Saturday September 30th @ 1.30pm in Borrisoleigh

Knockshegowna v Cappawhite

Saturday September 30th @ 3pm in New Inn

Drom & Inch v Clerihan

Sunday October 1st @ 2pm in Golden

Carrick Swan v Knock

Sunday October 1st @ 4pm in Newport

Solohead v Moneygall

Anybody hearing that Laffan and Padraic Maher are not going to be involved in the Tipp set up next year?

• Advertisement

Managements for 2024

Senior

Liam Cahill (Manager), Michael Bevans, Declan Laffan & TJ Ryan

Due to unforeseen changes in his work circumstances, 2023 Senior hurling selector Padraic Maher will not be in a position to continue in the role for 2024. (not to mention taking on the Thurles hot seat)

Under 20

Brendan Cummins (Manager), Fintan O’Connor, Paddy Stapleton & Tomas Costello

Minor

James Woodlock (Manager), Conor O’Brien, Cormac McGrath, Willie Ryan, Brendan Ferris & Ray Doyle

Football

Senior

To be finalised in the coming weeks - Marc O'Shea?

Under 20

Niall Fitzgerald (Manager), Paddy O’Flaherty, Kevin Mulryan, Cian Maher, Paddy O’Gorman

Minor

Michael Donnellan & Shane Hennessey (Joint Managers), Damien McCormack, Shane Gavin, Tomas O’Donoghue, James Farrelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wonder what the work changes are for Paidi Maher? He's stationed in Limerick with the guards last i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Surprised they're happy to stick with Cummins for U20. I think his teams have been poorly managed. Not sure of the actual quality of player available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Hard to know if its management or lack of quality. But some of the hurling was hard to watch. Emphasis seems to be tippy tappy instead of long ball and individuals winning the hard ball . Probably easier said than done

Cafe in Thurles too. Newly married. He took on too much too soon and straight away. But when he took on the Tipp selector position, he couldn't have know he'd get the Thurles job too. That's a lot in your first year out of playing.

The core of the group didn't win anything at minor. A lot of the bunch didn't have confidence. But I was impressed with what Cummins had them doing in his first year. So, last year was disappointing.

New coach in now, and Cummins will have access to some very good players. I know the bunch available fairly well, so I'll know if they've their homework done when they pick the squad. Interestingly, the most improved players, from what I've seen at club level, didn't get starts on the successful minor team in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Fair point and I suppose until 18 months ago the plan was to be still playing for Thurles rather than being the manager.

Noel McGrath, captain this year. Might be going into his 15th season next year and just got nominated for an all-star. Still playing in between midfield and half forward. Still covering the field and directing play. Even during the Bonnar year, he was good. Carrying an injury all year with Loughmore. Some soldier.

Clonakilty boss Martin O’Brien and Fermoy boss Martin Crummey are being linked to the Tipp football job.

• Advertisement

New Jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Looks good ,better than the last one.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Last Saturday, the extended Stakelum family and friends descended on Ballycahill Hall to celebrate the launch of Noel Dundon’s “Legend of the Ash” biography about their great patriarch Pat.

Captain of Tipperary’s 1949 All-Ireland winning team, Pat’s nephew Richard famously emulated him in lifting the provincial title in 1987. Two years later and another nephew Bobby Ryan was first up the Hogan Stand steps to end the county’s 18-year wait for the Liam MacCarthy Cup.

Launching the book and underlining the clan’s hurling pedigree was the family’s most honoured captain, Pat’s grand-nephew and Limerick’s four-time All-Ireland winning skipper Declan Hannon. Factor in his five Celtic Crosses and the Stakelums have amassed 15 in total across three generations.

Among the crowd that night was current Tipperary forward Conor Stakelum junior, who faced his second cousin Hannon for the first time in championship fare this past summer. Nephew of Richard and son of 1989 and ‘91 All-Ireland SHC winner Conor senior, a selector to Michael Ryan when Tipperary beat Kilkenny in the 2016 final, it’s fitting that he has graduated from Durlas Óg, which was set up by Pat, to become a Thurles Sarsfields mainstay.

Stakelum clan reflect on hurling pedigree for launch of Dundon biography (irishexaminer.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Can't say I love it. Prefer a "proper collar". No doubt we'll buy a set for the kids, regardless!

The FBD Insurance County Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship Final Replay Saturday October 21st in Nenagh @ 2.30pm

The FBD Insurance County Senior Hurling Championship Replay will take place in FBD Semple Stadium on Sunday October 29th with the time to be confirmed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Standard very poor today. Couldn't see either of these teams making any sort of an impression in the Munster championship.

I heard that myself. But I didn't see the kilkenny semis. There's two county championships not worth watching - Kilkenny and Wateford. No parish rule in Wateford - 15% of the population live in one parish. And, of course, Ballyhale (which is actually two parishes) is geographically the biggest parish in Kilkenny. Load a shite. I think they call it the St. Keirans model - pull, drag, and draw from all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Martin567

Speaking as a Kilkenny man, I'd like to see some backup for your comment about Ballyhale and its size. I'd be shocked if you were correct.

By two parishes, I presume you mean Ballyhale and Knocktopher? This is true but I think both are very small. some of the smallest in the entire county. Parishes like Callan, Castlecomer, Thomastown, Mooncoin, Piltown, etc are far bigger with very little club success.

Shamrocks playing numbers are tiny compared with James Stephens, O'Loughlins and Dicksboro. Their first 15 also contains several sets of brother and is very often drawn from only 6-7 families. They are an extraordinary club, both within Kilkenny and on a national basis. Suggesting they have some size advantage is way off the mark.

• Advertisement

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Advertisement