Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Unfortunately this is definitely the case this year. It's causing a lot of hassle for a lot of runners that don't live in Dublin. Especially anyone planning to come up on the morning of the race. They are telling people it's connected to the sale / transfer of numbers outside their official transfer window so, if you have bought a number or taken a number from someone else outside their transfer window, it will cause a problem for you as the original buyer will need to collect the number.

Travelling up on Friday is a good plan, get it out of the way and then back up whenever you're arriving for marathon day.

Post edited by Annie get your Run on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Completely silly one, but Im quite sad this morning as I've broken my "not miss a session" streak! I forgot to go for my walk yesterday!

I couldn't go in the morning cause I was busy doing stuff around the house, then we were off visiting people and I just completely forgot to go on the treadmill when i got home.

I woke up in the middle of the night (very typical for me) and the first thing I thought was "cross training", I was nearly tempted to get up and do it, but it was 3am 😅

I know it couldn't be more unimportant in the general scheme of things, I've even went for a few walks this week anyways, but just dissapointing to lose the streak due to forgetfulness 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Maybe it's your body telling you something 🤣. There was an option to take 2 rest days off in a row on the Boards plan this week and I'm taking them. It feels very wierd though as I can't remember the last time I did this. But I figured the body might need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

WEEK 17 - 2 WEEKS, eeek!

In just two short weeks you will have completed the Dublin Marathon & hopefully will be sitting in your chosen pub for a refreshing beverage afterwards to tell the tales. If you are thinking about a pub then McGratton's is a great place to meet and is the regular place in regards to meeting all the very friendly faces from Boards both present & past😁 I'm sure many people who have contributed to this thread will be there. To have reached this point is a great achievement, this is the home stretch before your victory lap on October 29th.

What I would say to everyone now is that it is a really good idea to obviously have your dream realistic target, but also have an B target & even a C target (something you'd be content with), with all the will in the world sometimes it just doesn't go to plan & being able to reset your target during the marathon will really stand to you, it can be the difference between having a good experience to having a really bad experience & suffering, which no one wants. Every now & again, check in with yourself, see how the body is feeling, how the pace feels, can you continue at this pace? Stick to the plan of running at least the 1st 7miles conservatively, if not the 1st half then reassess.

The taper really kicks into gear this week, and your legs may feel that bit fresher. This is the purpose of the taper of course, but as a result, the runs will feel very easy compared to what you've been used to. Please keep an eye on the paces - it's easy for them to creep up on fresh legs, but that would be undoing some of the good of the taper. You want very fresh legs come marathon day! There's more to lose than win from doing too much at this stage. Please don't go out and run any crazy sessions or races as they're not going to add to your fitness at this point. An old phrase I've read on these Boards over the last couple of years is that you're better going into a race 'undercooked rather than overcooked'.

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|4m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|8m LSR|cross

Boards|rest, cross or 3m rec|3m easy|4m easy|4m w/ 6 x strides|rest, cross or 3m rec|8m LSR|rest, cross or 3m rec

The priority now is getting to the start line. If you have a niggle, it might be best to rest! The hard work is done, so don't risk your marathon if something is not right. It's easy to bury your head in the sand and hope for the best, but the smart move might be to put the feet up and book a physio appointment. Of course, if you are feeling fine then follow the plan. There's no need for additional mileage - as we may have mentioned you are tapering. Anyone feeling very unconfident, look back through your training since the beginning of your plan and look at the races you've run and have faith in your training and ability.

This is the lowest mileage week in a number of months for both plans - enjoy it. Do the runs at appropriate paces, and use the free time to rest and recuperate. Try and get into the habit this week of going to bed that touch earlier - this will stand to you in two weeks time.

Hopefully excitement is kicking in now as well as the nerves! It's all totally normal & part of the build up to your big day😊

Also a big shout out to one of our mentors here @skyblue46 who just ran a cracking Amsterdam marathon along with @Laineyfrecks and @Lazare. Check out their logs if you haven't done already to see what consistent training can do for you.

Very best of luck, we are almost there😁

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

That's gas. I couldn't run yesterday due to husband being away and whilst it was only a 5km Recovery, I really missed it. Having said that, I didn't wake up at 3am thinking about it 😄

• Advertisement

You're fine, don't worry about it and let it go. You will feel a good bit of this over the next 2 weeks as you ramp down! Feeling your not doing enough or that you are taking it too easy, it's very normal and actually very good for you, the rest is what is needed now. If you'd a busy family day then you got lots of "activity" in during the day :-) It's just not structured like you're used to with the runs and walks.

I didn't know this. It was different last year in that you could collect for someone. I went over on the Friday last year and it was an easy in and out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

Thinking of getting a light sports massage before the marathon, had one week of Dublin half marathon also. Monday 23rd I thought would be a good idea and turns out I can only get in then, is this too close to marathon?

• If you know someone else collecting get them to get your number. Email office and they will give you some form to fill out. You'll have to give them a copy of your id too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

With the weather taking a turn, it has made me think about being prepared for whatever weather we get. Could be cold, warm, wet, dry, calm or breezy, or all the above. Running for hours in cold weather is fairly new to me. I'm wondering if I need to get any extra kit. It's likely to be cold before we set off so I've read to bring an old hoodie/fleece which you can discard and organisers collect for charity/recycling. I'm more thinking of once we actually start. Definitely some base layers, maybe a thin hat, I prefer putting my hands in my sleeves as opposed to wearing gloves, if it rains I have a light jacket but if its lashing its not much use so some thought needed there. Anyone got their outfit and extras planned yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Would it make any difference if you didn't run at all until the marathon? Not going to do that but I think some of my tapers before were a bit too heavy and I want to maximise "race day readiness".

I can only speak for myself, and I definitely run warm in general, but I've been practising running in a singlet even when the weather is cold or wet and still plan to wear one on the day.

Like on Saturday morning it was 4c when we started and I wore a singlet, it was cold for the first couple of K, but after that I was warmed up It was fine.

Even during cold weather I would find a jacket too warm once I get warmed up. I've only tried two run jackets, one is not very water proof and if it was sufficiently wet it would just be extra weight to cary around. The other is fairly waterproof but not breathable at all, would be horrible after a few K

I did learn I'll probably get cheap gloves to wear at the start as my hands were cold on Saturday for a bit, but again, once they warmed up it was fine.

I ran this morning and I'm not sure what temp it was, but it was definitely cold and I wore gloves for the first 3k, but after that it was more comfortable to take them off.

I'm not trying this say that what I'm going to do is right for everyone though, just sharing my experiences so far.

Edit: to answer your question about outfit

For clothes just a singlet and kind of compression style trail shorts from decathlon (they have lots of pockets around the waist that are handy for gels). The socks I was going to wear developed a hole in them at the weekend so I'm after ordering a similar pair and hoping they will get here in time!

For extras I'll wear a peaked run hat, I find them very useful for lots of reasons. Useful for the sun if it's out, keeps the rain directly off your face if it's raining and it also helps wick some sweat away.

After that just a run belt for my water and whatever else I'm carrying.

At this point though I'd just stick to what you know unless something is specifically not working for you. If something worked for your 30/32k runs they'll surely work for 42k!

I'm the opposite. I feel the cold so it would want to be a scorcher for me to consider a singlet. I find if its more than 10 degrees I'm fine with a running tee. Less than that I'd add a base layer. I've been using thermal type long sleeve wear for a few years but as my runs were rarely more than an hour, the fact that they soaked up the sweat and held it didn't bother me. I have felt cold wearing these after I get into my rhythm though. I sweat loads for an hour but I find then I don't sweat as much from then on and if my base layer is damp, I feel it cold. I ordered some non cotton base layers yesterday and will try them over the week for comfort and if too hot for me or not. I bought some non chaffing shorts earlier in the year which I wear under running shorts and find them great. Never had chaffing since and they've dead handy side pockets. I was going to just hold a bottle of water as I went along. I have a running belt which I wear on long runs in case I need my phone but it could be handy for more gels. The shorts would probably hold 6 max which is probably not enough. Undecided if I'll wear my cap. If sunny or rainy, I probably will.

Week 16

Planned: 8K | 10K | 8K | Rest | 7k @ MP | 20k | Cross

Actual: 8K | 10K | 8K | Rest | 7k @ MP | 20k | Family life (forgot to walk)

~53k for the week

Easy continues be a bit faster, so really holding myself back on most days. Went too fast on Tuesday, but wasn't too bad other days.

Saturdays 20k felt pretty comfortable, which is nice.

2 more weeks to go, really cant wait to get it started! Crazy that its only 13K next weekend! What will I do with my day!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

There were two years that I ran Dublin and it was really cold, especially starting out. Arm sleeves were so handy to wear with a singlet. You can roll them down to your wrist if you warm up or leave them where they are if not. I find them much better than wearing a long sleeved top. You will most likely be able to buy cheap ones at the expo and easy to peel off if they are annoying you too.

You could buy cheap gloves and hat somewhere and discard en route then.

you could cut my grass for me, it's shocking at this point.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’d imagine you’d feel kind of sluggish if you didn’t run at all. I know less is more at this stage and if injured or sick then don’t run but you still want some bit of zip in the legs.

I don't even cut my own grass, I let the robot overlords do that :)

In all seriousness though, I brought the kids to tennis and dancing Saturday morning gone and it was nice to actually contribute to the weekend running and racing rather than leaving it off to my wife! So one more week of contributing until I retire again next weekend!

I'm sure we've all seen the DCM, but probably not from the perspective of ever running it. Now, from the point of view of running it, I found looking at photos from previous years help me visualise what to expect.

Search: Dublin City Marathon | Flickr

Yes, DCM is all I can think about lately!

Post edited by bazwaldo on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Club Plan: Track|rest|Track|rest|rest|16km

Actual: 4.5km|rest|8km|rest|rest|28km

Didn't go to club training this week. Gave it a miss on Mon after the 3/4 marathon and met a few friends for some relaxed easy kms. Had booked a physio for my first ever sports massage and only time he had available for training time on Weds. So I squeezed in a short run at lunchtime and after again work as I'd learned that you should take it easy for 24h after a sports massage. Then "only" 10 miles on Sat morn. Pace was a bit quicker than I'd have liked but at the same time it didn't feel like we were going that fast.

Only 28.5km ran this week! Plus 2 workouts and a little walk most days.

Couldn't believe when I was going to bed last night that this time 2 weeks we'll have completed Dublin marathon! Not gonna lie - my head is a little bit in overdrive trying to put together a race and pace strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 wickowmom

I didn’t run at all for 4 weeks before my best marathon……really felt strong. I did go to the gym and use the cross trainer and weights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Got all the runs I wanted to do in. Hyper-aware of every little niggle on the long run yesterday but was at the physio at lunch today for a pre-marathon loosen up so that will help with the psychology of the taper as well.

Hopefully a few degrees warmer for the marathon morning than the last two days. Planning to run in a singlet but was in long sleeves yesterday. Obviously going very slow but my marathon pace isn't exactly a massive heat generator either. At the moment the forecast is looking like it will be good 🤞

Will be focusing on getting to bed a bit earlier and generally taking care of myself for the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Go off to pennies and buy a cheap hat and gloves. Worse chase you fling them away rather than your favourite ones. Remember you’ll be running for hours so more than likely you’ll be warmed up in a few km or miles. Dress for later in the race than the start. If wearing a top over a singlet let’s say then don’t pin your number to the top. You just lift your top to show your number to get into the wave.

Just stick to your plan to keep the legs moving. If you want an extra rest day then take it or cut the distance down for the day. You’re not going to get any fitter between the day. It’s just keeping yourself topped up and sharp with the runs. You’ll hear stories or see on strava of x doing a crazy y session but just ignore all that stick your plan and you’ll be all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Thinking a lot about race day gear too with the temp drop lately. Definitely going to have gloves that I can discard soon after starting and I'm seriously considering sleeves as I want to wear a singlet. They might annoy the feck out of me but if I got the first few kms out of them and warmed up I think it would be worth it. I have a lot more body fat than himself so if he can manage a singlet maybe I can too... I'm not doing a rain jacket though. They retain heat and I just find them generally uncomfortable /noisy/chaffey. On my 32km in full on persistent rain the light rain jacket did not help, in fact it hindered me, comfort wise. Praying there's no rain on the day but if there is I'll just have to embrace it and tell myself I've ran in the rain a lot already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Running 11 years and hardly ever ran with a rain jacket bar maybe a handful of times for a race warm up or cool down. Where I left it in the car. Unless your out in the mountains or something you really shouldn’t need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Easily discardable layers, hats, gloves, arm warmers are the way to go. Proper arm warmers can be expensive but the old tip was to buy a pair of girls' leggings in Penney's for a few euro and use them instead. Discard at your leisure (although when I discard layers I always try to throw them towards a bin or a person who might put them in a bin or otherwise recycle them). Wearing layers you can't easily get rid of is asking for trouble, unless this is something you've practiced a lot in long runs. No need to panic just because we've had a couple of colder days. Irish weather is temperate, and the risk of it being too warm is far greater than too cold, and cool weather is ideal for marathon running. In fact one of the great things about autumn marathons is that you often get the benefit of a cool day having trained in much warmer, tougher conditions during the summer. Pray for a cool one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Yeah I’m planning on wearing a singlet also 🥶

I’ll have old gloves and hat on that I can get rid off after a km or 2.

I'm a singlet too and shorts. I had an old rain jacket that I got rid of at the start last year just to keep warm while waiting around but it was actually very warm last year. This year will be huddy and if cold a pair of gloves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thermal tights are the biz as arm warmers! They're good and snug, and comfortable. Buy them in Dunnes/Penneys/Aldi/Lidl, cut the legs free... taadaaah😁

I've even cut a little thumb hole in them so I can stretch them down over my hands as gloves, AND cut a hole in the wrist so I can see my watch 😁 I've used them for a couple of marathons now, and because they're cheap, I have no worries with discarding them, though if it's a changeable day, I've also rolled them down to my forearms to cool off, then needed to roll 'em back up again when it may get a bit chilly (wind whipping down the Crumlin Road, I'm looking at you 😖)

Definitely agree with not wearing layers that you can't offload easily. In late October, the mornings can start off bitterly cold, but by noon and beyond, it can get surprisingly warm.

Best of luck to all of the novices of 2023! Class mentoring all the way through! I'll be looking forward to the post-marathon reports! Have a brilliant day 😊🥳💪

• Advertisement

Also remember that the clocks go back the night before, so it's sort of an hour later than it appears on paper.

E.g. the 9:45 wave 4 start time would be this week's 10:45, so extra time for the day to heat up (not too much hopefully!)

Advertisement