Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EV Home Charger Question

• 23-09-2023 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi,

I've a relatively new build home, about 10 years. I've recently been looking to get a home EV charger installed. I've got a seperate garage to my main house with it's own fuse board but it's power is fed from the main fuseboard.

Can I connect the EV charger to the garage circuit by upgrading the relevant fuse on the main fuseboard or does the EV charger have to be connected to the main fuseboard?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

It all depends on what size cable is going to your garage fuseboard

put up a picture of house and garage board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's also highly probable that a data cable will be needed back to the main distribution board for load curtailment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

There's also a wireless setup for that

Can't remember the name

Only for Zappi and a very select few other EVSEs. The overwhelming majority don't offer wireless CTs. It's also only good up to 65A and is less reliable than wired - which should always be the first choice. In fact many DNOs across the water won't permit wireless CTs for load curtailment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Thanks , it's so true about wired links being generally better for everything electrical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 kevin.m

We have a zappi at home with wireless CT's and a zappi at work with wired CT's. The zappi at home looses communication with the harvi (wireless CT transmitter) every few weeks requiring a power cycle. The zappi at work has been faultless.

The annoying thing was that it would have been easy to wire the CT's at home. The meter box is backing onto the fuse board, it was just laziness on the installer's part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

You can limit the max current the zappie can pull without a CT .

So you could put it on your garage no problem, but you wont get full speed charging if the cable is undersized.

If you have heatpumps or electric showers it complicates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fido_dido

my house was built in 2021 pre wired for car charging. Would anyone know of a ball park figure how much would it cost to install a charger with wifi connectivity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Roughly the price of the charger (between 600 to 950) and some cable etc, plus the electrician's time of around 2 to 3 hours. So I'd guess around 300 to 400 for labour.

You're well underestimating. I would expect a standard Zappi install (pre grant payment) to cost around €1,750 inc. VAT. Electrical contractors are not registered charities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Assuming all is well with the pre installed wiring €150ish per hour for labor seems reasonable to me.

It could cost more of course depending on a number of factors.

I missed the bit about being pre-wired. Of course it would generally need a data cable as well as power unless wireless CTs and Wi-Fi connection are an option for the installation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the wiring (both power and data) wasn't installed then I agree with you that price would be too low.

Advertisement