Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

It’s tough most of the way home in normal conditions but that wind will have more dropping. We won’t recognise ourselves on the crumlin road. All flying up it until the turn at walkinstown and it’ll be wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I wouldn't worry too much just yet; the wind forecast just done a 180...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kian-runner01

Hi All,

Please can you help and advise… This year will be my 10 marathon, I am not a quick runner with times ranging from 3hrs 51min to 4hrs 15min over these marathons… This years training I am racked with self doubt and need your advise… I was injured with an Achilles Tendonitis and could do no running at all for the month of August. I thought that was it and I would not be able to run this years marathon as my fitness had taken a nose dive. But I managed to get myself back to the point where I ran 21 miles Sat 7th and 22miles at the weekend.. to consider my training a success I always feel like I need to have 2 or 3... 23 milers under my belt completing them in “relatively” in decent shape not falling over the line. Then I can then go into my 2 week taper with confidence and prepare for the race……  The issue I have is the 22 miles I ran at the weekend were horrible…!!! I hit the wall hard on the last mile…I had planned to run 23miles on this run but I could not make it… The 22nd mile was a mixture of walking and very very slow jogging….I just about made it home and I was in bits after it….. I really want to go again this weekend and get 23 mile under my belt with a better experience and giving me the  confidence in my training on race day….I am aware a 2 week taper is really what is required so the question is should I go again this weekend for a 23 miler or should I quit my losses and head into the taper programme as of today??? 

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Another +20 miler at this stage is a waste. Stop worrying, do the taper and go enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

Dont do another 20 miler this weekend, be madness.

What are your goals for Dublin, have you a time in mind now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Kian-runner01

Thanks Event...considering the set back with training this year my gaols are very modest 4hrs 30mins would be fine I want to get the 10 DCM Medals under my belt and then I am done...it’s just the balance of the taper for the 2 weeks vs just getting that fitness up one more notch this weekend and then tapering for a week and not having that bad experience in the back of my head… 

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ro_p_ro1986

DO NOT do another 20+ mile.

Taper from now. Just re-assess your goals and execute your race accordingly. I suggest starting slow and ease yourself into the race.

There is a difference though. You have done this before. Remember how tough marathons are from 20 mile? Imagine that with tired legs.

What I would even considering doing is dial that back to 4:45-5:00 as a goal and enjoy it. If this will be your last time doing Dublin, soak in the atmosphere, check out the sights you might have missed, high five every kid you pass give some words of encouragement to others as you pass, maybe people who are doing their first.

If you aint chasing a time, enjoy it all

Definitely taper, but also ask yourself why you "hit the wall", was it because your legs were in bits [more cushioning?), what is a lack of energy? (lack of gels?).

You need to try to figure those things for yourself.

Just saw this for collecting numbers:

We are requesting that you pick up your own number at the EXPO. Under very exceptional circumstances with the agreement of our office another person who is running can collect it for you.

Werent you allowed to get someone else to pick up your number in previous years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Seems to be all part of their "crackdown" on people running under other peoples numbers

They Really need to sort out their transfer system before they do this

Feck sake. I was planning on picking up two other numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Its a massive pain in the hole for people travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭py

If they are going to expect people to collect their own bib, they need to expand the collection hours into Thursday evening and extend the hours on Friday to the evening too.

I am lucky in that I am only an hour up the road by car. But good christ thats poor form. They better be able to cope with the extra queues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It's something they will have to look at next year, not sure if they are getting a bang for their buck with Eventmaster if this facility can't be put in place. The risk of extra cost with transfers should only concern re-issuing of timing chips, in the case of DCM everything is allocated within 48hrs of the race so this shouldn't have to be factored in.

Everything else is built in to the Eventmaster service, surely a late transfer offering is achieveable.

They know a fair percentage of people will run with others numbers, only DCM can put the actions in place to sort this.

And it happens at every marathon, not like they are going to stamp it out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I know nothing about it, but I always assumed that the desire for people to be present at the expo is a vendor thing. That how much they can charge for the vendors/sponsors increases with the number of people who will be there.

For me the RDS is a minimum 2.5 hours trip via public transport (plus same back) or a 1.5-2.5 hour trip via car. I 100% would not attend the expo if I had the option of posting out the number, even if there was a charge for it. As it is I'll probably have to take Friday evening off work to make sure I make it before it closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What's traffic like in Dublin of a Friday evening? Coming in on M4. Half thinking of driving up after work to pick up my race number.

Absolute waste of time, 4 hours wasted, probably 50 euros too, crazy crazy.

Getting tired of DCM non-sense.

• Advertisement

Reminder to enter Amsterdam next year...

Its 100% to get people to the expo. And I get that, you have to do it. But they are trying to grow DCM year on year and if they want to do that, that will mean they will need to be more adaptable to what their customers want. I dont think they will be at a tipping point, cos people will always want to run DCM and it will sell out every year. But its getting more and more annoying tbh, these hoops. They should absolutely be allowing people to collect up to 2-3 other entries easily, don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭py

Ballsbridge is a nightmare for traffic at rush hour. As it is a bank holiday weekend, I am not sure that plan is a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

Not sure anyone that has to travel are even considered really. Though on the other side it is the DUBLIN Marathon and no one is forced to sign up for it. That's not me sticking up for the Dubs btw as I'll take any opportunity to have a go at them 😂 just putting a bit of perspective on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

It's also the National Marathon Championship. Club members have to travel from all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Can't you get permission from the office to pick someone elses up?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lostintipp

Ridiculous in this day and age where marathons organisers should be doing whatever they can to reduce their carbon footprint that they force people to travel to pickup a number.

I have no interest in the poor enough expo and I certainly will not buy anything from the sellers just because I feel I am being forced up to the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

To quote the DCM office...."in certain circumstances" it is possible. You need to email them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Eventmaster are the partner for the Great Limerick Run marathon and other races, they have an option where runners can get their bibs posted out, it works great.

I wonder is it the case that they've promised the Expo stalls a certain level of footfall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well Cork is a fairly long way down the marathon prestige scale compared to Dublin and you have to pick up your number in person there too, or at least you did every time I did it.

Of course this populates the expo, and of course that generates greater secondary revenue for marathons that organise bib pickup that way. I agree that it is a stretch on DCM’s sustainability score. It will probably become optional eventually, but any lost revenue will eventually drive higher entry fees.

Advertisement