Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

So you don’t think the ones in the link are a good choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

All these aftermarket hub caps look a bit cheap, on an otherwise nice looking car.

You can spot the Ali Express specials on a Tesla a mile away now, to me it's cheapening the brand.

Maybe I’ll just keep the ones that came with it

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

When I see any hub caps, it reminds me of the 1990’s and poverty spec cars with no alloys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Duine_Eigin

I wouldn't say all of them look cheap. I think some of the induction look-alikes can look a bit cheap and plasticy. I went with the ones below which mirror the shape of the alloy underneath. There is less plastic and they look more like an alloy. Black wheels for a fraction of the cost of getting them sprayed and they also give protection from kerbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

They look great, the black and white goes really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

A good few months in & still happy with them, price I paid was about €150 for 4. Infinitely better than the standard wheel covers

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against buying them, just that particular one was a bit expensive and not symmetrical. Here's mine sure,...

I also think they are way better than the stock ones. A small bit of kerb rash on one or two, but the alloys are perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Can you post a link for where you gots yours rx8? Also what mats are people using? I'm 10 days into owning mine and the kids are doing a job on the interior already :)

• Advertisement

A few things I bought:

Air Compressor:

https://amzn.eu/d/iWQiD9e

Vent blocking covers a must if you have kids.

Tyre kit/ plugs,

Waterproof Mats, I powerwash these. Be sure to get the RHD ones.

Hub Caps, similar to mine. If you want the T logo's then ask in the message section while ordering.

Hope that helps

Got my replacement rear window glass over the weekend, €800 fitted , pricey but my Chinese friend in Lucan was the only one who got what I needed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If it’s any consolation, I paid €700 on a Kia recently so it’s appears consistent across the board.

very sound fella and more power to him for starting a little import business

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

I've been prompted for the key card a handful of times since updating to 2023.32.7. Did the two button reset and rebooted the phone and it's working ok & key card not needed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

For a more extreme change to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Anyone moved from a model 3 SR+ to a Y RWD ? What are you opinions ? I did a test drive in the Y and found it nice in terms of space and convenience, but sluggish and stiff to handle ( I tried all settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

I made that move. All opinions are subjective but I have no regrets. Additional storage space and roominess inside is immediate thing that is noticeable along with elevated driving position, Ride is certainly firm ..even with the comfort modifications on newer cars but I do not find it sluggish in comparison but maybe you value the "performance" elements but having said that there is little difference 6.1 vs 6.9 secs for 0-100KM. Not much more to say!

Thanks for that.. yes I like the perceived "performance", but maybe I don't like it €8K much ( the guys in Sandyford suggested the Y AWD as a remedy). The added benefit of the LR is a bit of extra range.

My 3 (2020) doesn't have heatpump and as such the range in winter is about 60/70% of what it is in summer, which is not a big problem for me as I don't drive long distance frequently. My wife does regularly do a 400km return drive and is refusing to use the 3 ( doesn't like charging , and doesn't like the driving position) and drives her diesel guzzler instead. Idea of getting the Y is getting her to use it as well. Would you have seen a better (and more consistent (winter/summer) range on the Y vs the 3 ( assuming you also had an older 3 without heatpump) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Haven't had an EV before the MY LR, but we coughed up the extra 8 because we were prepared to spend that much on the RWD back in October, so in Jan we didn't feel like we were paying 'extra', just getting 'more' for the same money. I appreciate it feels different for someone ordering now.

Everyone's use case is different, but I've got a regular weekend trip that's minimum 320km and sometimes can be up to 400km. I'm nearly always under pressure for time on that trip and not having to stop and charge makes the trip more bearable. Eg. on Saturday we left the house at 10:30 with 98%, got back home at 8:01 with 2%, only missed a couple of minutes of the rugby match. No chance to destination charge anywhere. A splash and dash on the way back would have taken min 20 minutes including detour time. In an RWD, I'd have had the 'hassle' of planning a stop somewhere.

Over the summer, the LR allowed us to skip 2 broken/inaccessible chargers and do a 390km leg in one go and made the last ferry with 15 mins to spare. I don't think we'd have made the ferry with an RWD, or we'd have had to get up an hour earlier and drive at 80kmh on that section or something. Not having that 'stress' is costing us under 1k a year, actually a little less since we avoid public (Ionity) charging costs. So for us, and our use case, it's well worth it.

I see you have nerves of steel ( 2%)- good for you.. I did it once on my way in Belgium to a super charger ( 2 weeks after I got my 3) and that thrill was just a bit too much for me😀

That 400Km trip- would it be motorway driving? That is my use case, and my wife would not be the best at keeping speed limits.. If 400km at motorway speeds is doable, then yes LR may be worth it. Else , it doesn't really matter.. charging a LR or RWD.. probably just a few mins more for the RWD to get enough to get home

Over the summer, 20C, dry road, little wind I was getting exactly 4km per kWh at 121 on the speedo.

So I would say that 400km motorway is not doable, definitely not all year round so you're better off in the RWD. In Ireland we can do 400km with half 120/half 100.

Out foreign, where summer temps were a bit higher, we could get 430km in half/half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Yes moved from a 201 SR+ to a RWD Y.

Space and storage is great in the Y, a few extras on the Y like auto boot, heated steering wheel, ambient lights. Acceleration is a bit less especially from 0kmh but picks up from about 30kmh, as it's a family car it's still plenty quick. I find the range better than the SR+ e.g. Birdhill to Meath, arrived with 40% left, or West of Bantry to Ballacolla and arrived with around 30%.

If I didn't need the space for buggies etc I'd have a M3 but the storage /space is impressive

Also the LFP and always charging to 100% is great, makes the difference in range day to day similar to the LR at 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Have a 3 RWD, took the Y RWD and the Y LR for test drives.

Night and day between the RWD and the LR Y for acceleration. The LR Y felt like my 3 RWD while the RWD Y felt very sluggish.

Enjoy the car browsing and test drives!

The price differential between Y RWD and LR is 'only' €7k, unlike the 3 which is €8k.

Also not sure why the 3 RWD tops out at 201 km/h, whereas the Y goes all the way to 217 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

The price difference is now €10,500 for the facelift M3 RWD-LR. The facelift M3 is limited to 201km/h because of the tyres, according to Tesla. I suspect they are limiting the top speed to make the incoming Performance model appear significantly faster than the LR. It's also rumoured there will be upgraded electric motors in the M3P. The LR had more pull at the top-end due to smaller wheels. Even with Acceleration boost from standstill there wasn't that much of a difference. The M3P is better for tracking due to better brakes but I doubt many track their M3P regularly.

The last 2 nights when I've come home the lights haven't gone off when I've walked away.

The car locks, mirrors fold in, but lights stay on. Have I ticked/unticked some setting by accident?

• Advertisement

There was talk of this bug when you had auto lights enabled a few months back.

Advertisement