Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone exit Suckler system??

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Last of the suckler cows gone out the gate here today.

I've some mixed feelings about it, but it's time for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Would be Interested to know what system you have planned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

I still have a few emaherx. To be honest I wish they were gone but the father here likes having a few about. In the last two years they have been responsible for 3 reasonably serious incidents. An attack, a lot of stitches and a snapped tendon. The father is well in his 70s and they are no hobby for him.

I doubt you will miss them. Anyone I have ever spoken to on the topic doesn't. Best of luck with the change of system.

The plan is to go calf to beef.

I've held onto all of the weanlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We loaded up the last of our neighbours cows last week. He had a stroke earlier in the year and is now in a nursing home. It was sad to see as he bred excellent cattle. Another older farmer a few miles away has booked OH to bring some of his cows to the mart as he is cutting back.

• Advertisement

Probably won't miss them terribly but some of them were here a long time, a few had Dads name on the cards too which probably hit me more than anything while sorting the cards.

But you are right safety is one of the main drivers of the decision with the young farmers taking more interest, cows with calves and bulls have become more of a worry later. Calf rearing should allow for more involvement for all of them. Distance from house to the yard is a bit far when calving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭jfh

I'm going the same route ,but will factory them as they come fit . I think I will miss them and already contemplating what kinda cow I will get back into in a few years ,maybe false promises to myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭50HX

Same as here @emaherx & @jfh

Last load went to the factory last week,

Fierce lonesome after the last load, only took over in 2014 & improved breeding, calving interval etc

Keeping the weanlings, one heifer that calved in July that wasn't supposed to be in calf, one older cow left to calve nxt month..she owes me nothing but wouldn't let her off to some jobber, she'll go off grass nxt summer when calf is reared.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,655 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

@jfh & @50HX it the right way to exit to fatten the cows. It gives you the option to carry the weanlings to finish. Buy you few calves, reared calves or weanling next year and carry everything to finish if possible.

If you are used to cows and calving culls are a great option at present. Friesian cows dried off with no guarantee are around a euro a kg or straight from the parlour with a guarantee that need to be dried off.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭50HX

Thanks Bass

I'd be open to whatever is value, just need to educate myself on finishing, grades fat scores etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

The only guarantee with that system is that you’ll be permanently locked up with TB and all your neighbours will hate your guts.

Not necessarily, even if you are business is business. The margin on culls is getting to a stage where you really have to consider it. Neighbours do not pay your bills. Two lads next to me are at it. Never really an issue. Ya I have an extra test every bit and again but there are two dairy farmers that give me exactly the same issue.

A cull killing 320 kgs DW cull was grossing 130-1400 euro jast June. You can buy young culls for 90c to a euro a kg. So a 500 kg cull is landing in the yard for 500 ish euro at present.

Ya they will eat silage and grass but the margins look.too serious to ignore.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Surly when your killing all the cattle out would you not have feed lot status and one test a year, and only buying in stores.

Neither of the two lads next to me are classified as feedlots. Ya every 2-4 years they have a single cow go down and are locked up until they get two clear tests.

I agree with part of what you are saying but a 440kg store@2.2/ kg will cost the bones of 1k into your yard a cull will cost half that. As well that store will need to hit 1.7-1.8 K to match the margin

Most lads doing sucklers will not be stocking intensively and culls will eat grass if you have it. You will not need the same quality of grass.

Would I have advocated it a year or 18 months ago, no but the margins have seriously changed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The biggest factor in cull cows is if they are incalf ,when you buy in the ring you are taking the chance they could be incalf and maybe calving in 7 months time after you feeding them to the gills,even if a cow is announced as not incalf you still have no come back .Mastitis and lameness are 2 more issues that will show up .

If they are announced guaranteed not incalf while the mart may not accept any come back the original owner will have to compensate you.

You can make a claim in the small claims court. There is precedence on this after the breeding bull case a few years ago.

All cows should be injected with esturmate this will abort any calf that is less than three months old. I accept there is risks however there is rewards as well

Slava Ukrainii

What has a breeding bull got do with cull cows,wheather announced or not they is a big sign up in the mart so unless you are blind ,i don't see how any court could entertain your bs .If you want a guarantee of a animal . not incalf there is plenty in the heifer ring

I can not understand you buying dry cattle when there is such a fortune to be made out of cull cows!!! like I said try buying them at euro/killo

This is the case the farmer won the case but I cannot find it here. We actually discussed it on this forum. He was awarded substantial costs and damages

A cow sold as guaranteed no incalf would have significantly more come back in court and would be a straight forwards case in the small claims court. As I said I next them after about a week on arrival. That reduces the risk to probably the risk to a 8-10 week period.

Slava Ukrainii

That just isn't true. Speaking from experience I've had to take back a cow in the past plus pay for feeding her all summer. Neighbors Bull done the damage but never bother to let me know.

Had to take back a Weanling heifer last spring that was incalf, had to pay cost of feeding at €3.50/day plus the mart expenses. I sold the heifer for €830 I had to pay nearly €1600 to take her back, only positive thing was she landed a Bull calf herself about 2 weeks later, couldn't believe it when I went out to the shed and there was this calf hopping around the place as she calved herself at 15 months. Either way its them things that eventually make a lot of lads pack in the Sucklers

You must not have sold the cow in the cull cow ring at that rate ,

Taking back a heifer that is in calf and paying for her feeding is the normal practice and I agree the primary producer of the calf does all the hard work

• Advertisement

Culls/dry cows sold in Ennis mart on a Thursday are taken as not in calf unless announced. The seller must declare if they are unsure.

Cows sold on a Tuesday are sold as breeding stock but again there position is taken as not in-calf unless stated by the owner. Often the owner would announce they were running with a bull. This covers them for both in-calf or not in-calf.

The same rules apply for every mart I know of in the country, just for different sale days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

There is a sign up at one of the marts I go to that says , “cull cows are sold for all faults, may or may not be in calf”. Around me there is absolutely no comeback on a cull cow once the hammer is down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Certain marts offer no warranty on cull cows and there sold as such. However I don't know if by announcing a cow as guaranteed free of calf you could leave yourself liable if she subsequently turned up incalf. It's one thing to give no guarantee but giving a false one could be seen as misleading in my opinion anyway. The reverse is usually the norm in the heifer ring, assumed free of calf unless otherwise stated. If I was selling a cow I wasn't sure of then I'd announce as "running with bull", you've covered either way then and it doesn't seem to impact the price either.

Yes and that sign may free the mart of liability. I have bought bulls online that were not declared in a Bullock ring and the mart sorted it. TBF to marts they do not want to be messing with disagreement over cows. Different marts have different rules.

If a seller declares ''guaranteed not in calf'' that is a legally binding contract. If the cow turns up in calf then the buyer has a comeback on the seller. You might have to go to the small claims court but you will win your case

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'd say a lot of big cull cow operators get the scanner in at regular intervals. Fattening cull cows is like any game, you have to be at it a few years to fine tune things. For the few I've had here, I always found that you have to get them gone by end of June the latest, to get the big prices. The slide in cull cow factory prices signal the start of the Autumn price fall

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Cow feeder near home has the scanner man nearly ever month to scan anything in 60 days on to the farm, heifers are sent back to the marts and incalf cows are sent back to be resold and seller is informed, or young dairy cows are sold to dairy dealer. Some marts will get the farmer to pay for keep of the cows and scanning at 60 means they are sorted quick and no big costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

The IFA doesn’t represent suckler farmers, it represents the interests of the beef barons and always has done. Every suckler farmer who is dumb enough to be throwing money at the IFA every year deserves everything they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Austinbrick

We have 18 suckler cows and calves (angus). We lost 1 at calving and replaced it.(the calf)

We are thinking of getting out after having a successful calving season. Having said that,Over half needed help and a neighbour helped out alot to get to 17 out of 18. They took a lot of watching .

We have 6 v good cows ,6 fair and 6 poor.

We are going to outwinter them until at least Jan.

The slurry tank would be full if we housed them early.plus space would be tight.

Apart from the sucklers, we have 40 milk fed spring calves and 50 year and a halves, 40 will be gone before to the mart before Dec.

They are not yet put back in calf. Is it best to just put back in calf the 6 best? They are too good for the factory.The rest then we have the option to sell or to factory.

We are not in Scep. Never in any scheme until this year. Joined Acres .Got a Farm Advisor. Has to he paid, but is a knowledgeable fella.Good to have off advice from another circle.

There is no such thing as a cow too good to slaughter. The lads that buy them will inject them( if they are not gone too far) and slaughter them anyway

I fatten them and factory them next June. Join bord bia in between any young taught cows take to the mart. There is lads buying them to slaughter them in the north as heifers

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement