Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsticking fresh filled pasta

Options
  • 08-10-2023 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've bought various brands of filled pasta, the fresh stuff that's kind of half dried - usually has a use-by date of about a month away - tortellini, ravioli that sort of thing.

When I open the pack the pieces are invariably stuck together, and I always wind up with some that have ripped open and go all soggy when cooked. They're not inedible, but they're not very nice either, it ruins the lovely filling.

Is there any foolproof way of separating the pieces?

I've tried doing it before I put them into boiling water - no joy.

I've tried easing the clump into boiling water, and gently trying to separate using a wooden spoon while cooking - no joy.

Is this just a thing with bought filled pasta? Anyone discover the magic secret, and willing to let me into it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I gently separate them before putting in water, so you're dropping them in one by one. I find they usually come apart without breaking with a little care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The way to stop pasta sticking after cooking is to add a dash of olive oil and stir it around. Wonder would it work before cooking too?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes I do that and it works great. But these come out of the pack glued together, not sure oil would work on that scenario.

On closer inspection, the ones I had last night weren't even sealed properly, even before tearing open when I tried to separate them, so all a bit academic.....

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't put oil in your pasta water!

Yea it helps prevent pasta sticking together but it also stops the sauce absorbing into and sticking to the pasta.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that...... I certainly wasn't anyway, I drain the pasta and put a couple of drops of oil over it and stir around, stays lovely and unsticky!

• Advertisement

• if it helps the fresh variations don’t have this issue! Could try chilling the pasta before cooking it might make it a little tougher so it doesn’t tear?

also you shouldn’t cook the filled pasta in boiling water simmering is better!

I'd image op is talking about fresh filled pasta. Any fresh filled pasta that I've bought has this issue. I just carefully pull them apart, one by one.

I've never seen dried pasta stuck together.

• sorry I mean the one from the fridge that’s not vacuum sealed. I wouldn’t call the pasta in a vacuum bag off the shelf fresh pasta myself 😎

that appears to be what the OP is describing as to my knowledge fresh filled pasta from the fridge aisle won’t last a month and is not semi dry.

I was just saying that fresh filled pasta from the fridge is always stuck together in my experience.

• Yeah it can be but comes apart easy, if I’m not mistaken what the OP is describing is much harder to separate as it is indeed semi dried and vacuum packed so it’s all compressed together

This I believe is what the OP is talking about

And this is what I am talking about, as I say the former is vacuum sealed which can cause the pasta to bind together and tear apart when separated but the latter example is not vac sealed so it doesn’t stick nearly as much!

anyway that was a massive tangent and way off topic I think 😂 OP, I don’t know if it would work but you could try piercing the bag a little just to let air back in and then dropping it on your counter a few times? It might help separate the pasta without it tearing up!

• Advertisement

I don't think op is talking about the former - and being dried, I've never come across the latter sticking.

I think we're all talking about fresh filled pasta (the latter).

• In the OP they describe it as

the fresh stuff that's kind of half dried

so yeah I definitely think they mean the vacuum sealed bags. It’s not fully dried but not as soft and “fresh” as the alternative. Regardless we are debating this needlessly as the OP is the only one who can clarify!

What have I started!!

I was indeed talking about the former - the semi dried, vacuum packed stuff.

But as I said in my last post, when I looked properly at the last lot, even before being prised apart half of the pieces weren't properly sealed in the first place - so me ripping them trying to separate them was kind of academic.

Might try the actual fresh stuff next time!

• Ah jaysus.

Yeah if you open the bag a bit and give it a whack or two off a counter might help break them up!! 😎

just on filled fresh pasta in my experience Aldi and Lidl is a bit crap but the dunnes and SuperValu offerings are very nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

The sooner you open the pack, the easier. Flour and water is a glue, and this is what pasta is made from. The longer you leave the wet (fresh) type sitting around, the more it glues to it's neighbours.

And another option if you want the longer shelf life, is picking shapes that are not as flat. Choose tortellini instead of ravioli, less surface area to stick.

Advertisement