Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia Rejects Recognition of Aboriginals - For Shame

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭yagan

I think a huge problem for bringing any single issue to a referendum in Australia is their extremely short three years between elections. I was there when they went through 5 pms in 5 years, yes as bad the UK in recent years.

Politics is constantly on the boil there, it felt like they switched straight into election campaigning mode as soon as the last election was over so obviously the opposition is going to fight any referendum the sitting government brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

And you think people understand the politics of countries they do live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Interesting stat.

The consistency of Fowler in Western Sydney has 60% of its population born overseas. Most of these are from Vietnam, China, India, Iraq etc..

They voted No to the voice by a margin of 60-40

Similar trends repeated all over the country.

There seems to be a consensus now that the Yes campaign was solely aimed at Inner City white educated types, forging the huge migrant population and working classes further along from the Inner Cities.

It is kind of ironic that given Australia is such a vibrant diverse country now, that it has been one (not the only though) of the downfalls of this referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It is sad that the native community have become a minority after having their land taken from them and being marginalised for so long. I'm sure the Voice wouldn't have been perfect but it would have at least been an acknowledgement of the country's original inhabitants and a step in the right direction.

It is interesting that the changing demographics of immigration, as a poster above noted, seems to have squeezed the vote a bit more. Could it be a case of different minorities not wanting to see another given a more prominent role?

From what I've read about this referendum, I'd say it failed because what the Voice was going to be and the powers it was going to have didn't seem to be clearly defined and this left it open to be picked apart. It seemed that its supporters believed more in the ideal behind it and thought it would be enough to carry it, as opposed to more detailed information abouts its workings.

I've never been to Australia and the only Australian I know to any serious degree is a backward bigot. I know how he would have voted and his reasons why but I think he couldn't be considered a modern Australian. Australia does have its rep but places like Sydney and Melbourne seem to be fairly progressive places. I guess its just bringing the urban/rural divide back into focus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Had the PM legislated for a voice (which he was always free to do) and sought a constitutional amendment to recognise Indigenous Australians it would have been case closed.

It was a high stakes political gamble that completely backfired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Think that an amendment for just recognition would have failed too, it's too vague. The constitutionality of any ownership or jurisdiction would have come up constantly for anything involving aboriginals.

The voice didn't need an amendment but at least its one was far more limited in how it could be interpreted.

There was even a Vietnamese guy called John Nyugan who was campaigning against boat people even though he arrived illegally on a boat as a child.

Being tough on the next immigrant wave seems to be an Australian right of passage, or ghetto politics. A lot of the neo nazis there seemed to be second/third generation of European immigration whose parents/grandparents received digs abuse when they first arrived. They bashed on the Lebanese who came after them, and the cycle continues..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

How many travellers have you ever interacted with….?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sandbelter

If I recall, Ireland had a voice unaccountable to parliament...a Unionist voice for much of its history...and look at it's legacy....Nothing good came from it.

I agree, people sensed division, the preference given one one group was very much at odds with PM Hawke's promise of "no hierarchy of birth"....older voters in particular sensed another broken promise.

But I would add, not only couldn't the "Yes" simply explain what the "voice" was, it relied on an element of trust us....and that is where it fell down for many.

This in a country where people remember Paul Keatings (ALP) L-A-W tax cuts and commitment never remove the mortgage interest rate cap, John Howard's (Lib) "Core and non Core promises" and committing Australia to a war in Iraq on a lie, Julia Gillard's (ALP) throwing the single mothers on to the "work for the dole" scheme (think the self righteousness behind the poor house), only to get caught in the robodebt scandal...and despite all the haunting suicides triggered this scheme and an estimated 663 dead...the architects of the scheme, overseen former PM Scott Morrision (lib), walks free.....can you be surprised that the voters that experienced the worst of this....the poor and migrants...said "nope...we can't trust you"?

No was the right answer....this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I've lived in a lot of countries, for fairly long periods of time, due to business. As time goes on you realise that racism isn't nearly as prevalent in other places as people would have you believe. in my experience Australians certainly aren't particularly racist, in fact I think very few places would be as multicultural as the big Australian cities. And while cities might be outliers in many other countries that's not really the case in Australia, most of the population in coastal urban areas.

In general though, everywhere I've gone, people know that it's best to judge people on their own characters rather than the group they come from. To an extent that breaks down a bit when there are groups that are more likely to be involved in property crime, but almost everyone knows that you can't paint everyone with the same brush. It's like people carry out racial profiling the same as some police forces do.

Despite all the criticism of Australians here, I would have found white Australians were far more open to indigenous people than the Irish are towards Travellers. Don't get me wrong at all, there are very clear reasons why people here have issues with Travellers and the white Australians have with the indigenous people. But Irish people have no business at all getting sanctimonious about issues on the far side of the world that they have no lived experience of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭blackbox

I don't know the details of how this referendum would have affected people.

I understand that voting was compulsory.

Any Australian who wasn't sure what the impact will be is more likely to vote against no matter what the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Irish people are extremely tolerant of travellers

despite the rampant criminality, cradle to grave financial baby sitting by the tax payer (as they refuse to educate themselves to the point of being employable ), optionality surrounding car insurance or motor tax compliance and general contempt for societal norms as well as those who fund their existence

all we the “ settled community “ do is grumble , nothing is done to address the scandal which is the spoiling of these people throughout their lives

we saw a few years ago how New Zealand dealt with a bit of traveller nonsense, as expected the Irish media branded the kiwis bigoted, such delinquency would result in a shrug of the shoulders here and that’s just the guards

The death in custody cases of western Australia would suggest otherwise.

A west Oz senior police head told me he preferred recruiting from Europe because the local guys couldn't be trusted to not let prejudice colour their judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

We literally let them do whatever they want, allow ridiculous levels of crime to take place in the open, animal cruelty, child neglect, abuse of women etc. and all reporting on issues is completely blanked so they don't look bad. Yet in liberal lunatic land they are the victims in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Sorry, I can’t further comment, someone reported me

Which is why I keep saying any comparison with Australia is comical considering the abuse aboriginal people still get in their homeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The trope that 'Australians are very racist' is overblown.

In fairness the friendliest most sincere racists I've encountered were Australian. They tended to be from the outback where their daddy's and daddy's before them grew up shooting abos who they saw as a pest.

I was shocked when I learnt that they were getting away with that up until recent generations.

The more sincere they were the more unnerving it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's absolutely ridiculous, spent a couple of years in Melbourne and Perth and it is a really diverse place, never encountered any racism myself. Of course there'll be some eejits but you'd have a hard time being a racist there as it's such a mix of cultures.

Funny coming from Irish people too, Ireland is the only place I've seen people shouting n**ger etc. at security guards and black people walking down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Post edited by fplfan12345 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,201 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's like a foreigner met the Healy Raes and decided all Irish people must be like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On the Australian racist thing I think you have to drill down a bit more than just saying they are a racist people.

Yes they are a diverse society with a lot of different cultures that live and work together.

But there attitude to aboriginals goes beyond that.

Similar to Ireland where you see an increased level of diversity, and people will consider themselves as not being racist, but at the same time have a viseral hatred for travelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I know it’s paywalled but it’s good. As I read the article I was reminded of this thread about a referendum on the other side of the world that Irish people felt reflected a racist society because that was their impression from the holiday they took or the Aussie they once met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭rock22

Quite a lot of Irish people have relatives in Australia. My family there, any that have commented, voted yes. But they say it was defeated by a few factors. One , the actual working of the proposal was confused, allowing many people to attack it while at the same time supporting Aboriginal rights. The other , is that Mr Murdoch and his media played a big part in it's defeat. And finally, many Australians are deeply opposed to any rights for the Aboriginal population. They deny that their own ancestors stole the aboriginal lands and marginalised the original populations. It is hard for rural populations, proud of their huge farms and farm businesses, to admit it was all stolen, almost like an existential crisis. in general the questions about the Aboriginal populations were received, not as simple enquiry, but rather as criticism. . In many rural towns I visited, there were local museums. All very interesting, but they all , without exception, began their collections from the time white settlers arrived in the area. No information about the peoples who lived their before them. It was like the Aboriginal population never existed. It was uncanny how often this was repeated in town after town.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wouldn't say it's a visceral hatred, but due to personal and professional experiences I would prefer to never have to deal with them and my trust in them is basically zero. Open to having my mind changed, but that's not up to me, it's up to them to prove they deserve my trust. Recent news doesn't help the cause. Good thing they're not a separate race, or I could be called racist! Bigoted through experience, maybe.

Never been to Oz, don't know the history between them.

That was my experience when I lived there, but I'd also add for many they really don't understand, or can't accept how dependent their current lifestyles is entirely dependent on China buying commodities mined from same said stolen land.

I met one really interesting old Australian from a wheatbelt town who had served in Vietnam. He said when he was a kid they were pretty taught to view Aboriginals as vermin that you could shoot if they're on your farm. He then went to Vietnam and felt the same way about the Vietnamese.

His upbringing he said was typical of Victorian eugenic view that fossilized for generations in the Australian outback.

However when he served his time in Vietnam he took off on his world travel and in England he met an Irish girl, followed her back to northern Ireland and it was there that he saw white Europeans at war that he realised that all Vietnamese and Aboriginals are just people like him too.

He spent the rest of his life working in conflict resolution. An amazing guy and my only regret was not remembering his name.

He said racism in Australia is more than a human reaction, it's an Australian right.

Advertisement