Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's more because it's like debating with a wall. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

No, as i simply pointed out that if the conventional scientific method of conservation works, we should find those area’s in lush green grass & trees & biodiversity Thriving.

But it simply isn’t, the area’s under conventional management are wastelands. And are the most problematic region’s on the planet. That’s an absolute FACT.

Now people need to get with the programme and do something about it. Because there’s 10s of million’s of people in those area’s off the world that for some reason don’t want to live in barron desert wastelands that support next to nothing and are making there way to Europe for a better life!!

Watch the video like a good little boy, you be a better person after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

I'm not sure exactly. Gabe Brown was able to increase his soil carbon levels from 1.9 in 1991 to 6.1% within 20 years. I did back of the envelope extrapolation that would suggest that we could pull down all the excess carbon in ten to twenty years, if we all farmed in an optimal way for carbon sequestration.

Two problems with that estimate

• One, it's completely over optimistic, but it's worth considering the enormous potential soils have
    • Two, that's not going to stop our over consumption of fossil fuels and other resources in every other aspect of life

But there are farmers who have moved the needle in the right direction, and there are papers that suggest that it can make some contribution

Solutions will be different on every farm, but there are a host of solutions to consider

• The multispecies, herbal leys and native meadows I mentioned in my previous post.
    • Compost and biological inputs for soil fertility (Korean Natural Farming is awesome)
    • Biochar for sequestering carbon and as a kind of microbe and nutrient reservoir in the soil
    • Re-intergrating livestock in crop rotations
    • Permaculture, agroecology and silvopasture would be near the top of the tree when it comes to practicing agriculture well, but it's a learning curve and we have to start somewhere

I fell down this rabbit hole about ten years ago after watching videos by Alan Savory and Joel Salatin. I was in shock for two or three weeks trying to process how cows could be good for the planet, when it went against everything I had been taught. I realised I didn't know a huge amount about the science of farming, or biology and chemistry knowledge was dumbed down to four elements, N, P and K and a bit of Calcium. Savory's claims may be disputed and in some cases overblown, if the grasslands in certain desert areas didn't co-evolve with ruminants, cows may not be the best tool to restore them, but his ideas do work for some ranchers who have tried them.

But what I learned was that we as humans as a species have placed ourselves outside of nature, we are trying to dominate it with fossil fuels, industrial agriculture, and industrial food, and it's killing us and the health of the planet.

Regenerative farming is about farming with nature, rather than against it, and there's quite a bit of forgiveness in the system if we get it right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nope. Not interested in whatever denier drivel you're peddling.

We're done.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

But you should though, it’s kind of important.

It’s important that the message get’s out there.

Before Agriculture, circa 20k year’s ago? Humans invented spears and arrows and knifes etc

For hunting amongst other’s

There must have been million’s of animal’s that we had to be able to hunt and sustain ourselves for thousands of year’s, before agriculture.

So over time, humans were killing everything off in order to survive! Once animals became scarce and food wasn’t as plentiful, humans started to adapt the concept of agriculture and farming. We were the first species on this history of this earth to do so. This changed the ecosystem in ways we can’t imagine over hundred’s of year’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Not entirely accurate,

Climate change killed off many animals that had migrated into an incompatible environment and as the temperature changed they couldn't adapt to the weather conditions.

That was what killed so many animals during and after the last glacial period.

Just look at the evidence found in places like Creswell Crags in Derbyshire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

What absolute ignorance.

Land management techniques, or the lack of, are exactly the reason why we are seeing temperature increases. The causes are land use changes from urbanisation, desertification, deforestation, wetland drainage and so forth.

If you for one moment think that standing in the middle of a tarmacadam surfaced car park with the sun beating down on a mid-summer's day is going to be X degrees cooler at 280ppm than 400ppm - then buddy, you're cannon fodder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No, they're not "exactly the reason." They contribute. But it all comes down to CO2 in the atmosphere, and most CO2 is sequestered in the ocean. As temperatures rise, more is released, raising the temperature. It's a loop.

There's no one answer to this problem as there's no one cause - cattle emit methane, for example. Burning limestone for concrete releases a lot of CO2. Not just burning fossil fuels.

A little less hysterical posting here would help the discussion along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Shoog

Yes the majority of the extra co2 is absorbed into the ocean, this is why atmospheric co2 has risen relatively slowly as the oceans have been a huge buffer and sink. However as temperatures rise the amount of co2 the oceans can hold falls meaning a positive feedback loop kicks in and temps rise some more until the new equilibrium is reached at a significantly higher overall temp and atmospheric co2 concentration.

The upshot of this is that a large amount of atmospheric warming is locked in whatever we do to reduce emissions. We will continue to warm for centuries even if we cut emissions to zero tomorrow.

Sobering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sure and it leads to things (discussed here earlier) about the AMOC shutting down, which by any analysis would be catastrophic to the ocean biosphere and life on the surface. Unfortunately that got shouted down by the deniers with their usual "it's always been a cycle!" nonsense. Now we have 'here's some unproven snake-oil that'll save us all!' crowd doing the same.

Really, all this stems from human overpopulation. More people == more warming. Everything else is the details. I've followed the issues for most of my adult life and to date, nothing's working. So, if you add to the population, you doom your offspring to live with the consequences. Good luck to them.

So how large was the human population 100 million years ago, then 50million years ago?

Then 2 million years ago?

How many cars did we have then?

Look at the facts, global warming is an event,

But it is definitely a natural event.

The earth's surface temperature is still substantially lower than it was before the first glacial period, and it will keep rising until it stabilises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Minister of population control right here.

Take away every person, every car, no fossil fuels bio diversity loss will continue to cause desertification and all the symptom’s associated with that. You’ll have nothing left.

Whats better a small town of say 5 thousand people worth lots of small shops, cafes, business and growing, sourcing food locally

or

A big Walmart or Amazon that provides everything you need and sources its stuff from all over the world to be trucked in.

Satellite Photos Africa from Nasa

Enormous Global warming coming from Africa alone.

Bare sand is like a magnifying glass in those part’s of the world.

So no counter theory?

Just ridicule those that don't agree with you?

I don't think anyone is gonna change your mind and we've got a wealth of scientific evidence that humans are responsible for global warming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. The facts are obvious at this point. No amount of acidic comments or link dumps from dubious American sources changes that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

this is knepp estate in the uk.

basically rewilding project.

there story is a brilliant one.

they were your typical commercial farm doing everything the way all the expert’s were advising them to do.

they simply couldn’t make it pay.

Turned the property into a nature reserve and are far more profitable.

I believe something like this would do wonder’s for Ireland to help biodiversity & help put carbon back into the soil, clean our water’s & air. Imagine tourist’s seeing an Ireland like that. This is the future, no doubt about it.

We send 80% of our beef & dairy for export, so would be reasonable to say that we are destroying 80% of Irish land to feed people that don’t even live here.

Some might say that’s madness. And farmer’s complaining about going broke!!

Post edited by thinkabouit on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

And it’s gonna get an awful lot shorter if we dont do something about it.

Its a shame such an important issue has lost all momentum, threads on Boards.ie with hundred’s of comments of less importance!

https://youtu.be/6-M4Hq0MKFA?si=Evwn6UqEqstC8mru this is a new documentary Called Common Ground.

Its a documentary showing how regenerative agriculture can & is saving the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Shoog

Every video you post increases the disinterest in the thread. 😂

Continue on as we are so until there’s nothing left seems to be what people want.

Says man who opposes reducing fossil fuel use.

• Advertisement

We have to care because people before us didn’t & kicked the can down the road.

We gotta start somewhere.

Advertisement