Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Huge capital expenses in the rollout, so I expect it to be slow. But I'll ask later if I get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

From a pedestrian perspective, I'm really looking forward to the electrification of the DB fleet. It's going to have a much bigger impact on life in Dublin than electrification of private cars. Unlike a car, most of the bus noise comes from the diesel engine, rather than tyre noise. Especially so when starting off from stopped which is quite frequent for a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

If our political masters were serious about revolutionising public transport, they should take it one step further and simply copy what they are doing else where in the world...especially China.

Their Autonomous Rapid Transit (ART) is a battery powered track-less tram system that utilises self driving technology. No need for expensive tram tacks, just upgrade the existing road infrastructure. A mass rollout of this system could be achieved within a few years instead of decades, improve pedestrian access not only into the city, but around it also, whilst reducing congestion at the same time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think there is anyway we could deliver BRT infrastructure quickly in this city, if your going to spend that much effort you may as well install the tracks as it makes it much easier to stop encroachment on the busway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The hybrid buses are rolled out on my local routes, so noise isn't too much concern as they rarely get up to speed due to junctions, speed bumps, roundabouts etc.

It'll be a long, long time before all the secondhand diesels are off the roads unfortunately. People like their secondhand diesel Audis and the like...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Training involves maintaining passenger numbers as the numbers are reduced. Also what to do in an emergency situation.

Normally buses go out for the day and drivers are swapped at selected bus stops throughout the city so they don’t go back to the depot during the day as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What happens when some a$$holes paint over the lines? Or paint new lines going down a different street?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's easy, the driver (all the current examples have one) steers the bus back to it's planned route.

Drivers are currently going through training for them. They have been testing them with onboard ballast to simulate real world conditions. They expect about 280-300km range. Normally a bus leaves the depot that morning with a full tank and drivers swap out at a specific bus stop leaving the bus on the road and in operation.

These may have to go back to the depot for charging mid shift or they may just use them in the city to reduce city emissions.

Lower passenger numbers also and no luggage storage so that rules out the airport routes.

DB have ordered 120 of them. At €800k each. But with the current cost of petrol they think it will pay off.

Chargers are being installed in depots as a matter of urgency. They are waiting on some Hitachi charging system.

• Advertisement

Ah so it's the old trick of referring to the human as an automation system 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Except they don’t work in our cities. They tried bendy busses. But out road network was found unsuitable.

to many bends and corners

there was a blue line proposal around 2010 that woukd have served UCD and used the type systeM above

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/goatstown_section5.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

not sure what existing thread this would go into..

have a leaf 2020.

but on the occasion i'm doing a fast charge, why can i always get 46/47 from a 50 hubs that is ran by easygo/plugsurfing (recently used charges in shannon)

but yet with ESB i don't think i ever got any higher than 45..... SOC is normally between 20-30 when i fast charge.

whats the units types they all use?

So many considerations.

Temp Of battery.

temp of weather.

state of charge.

state of health of the actual charge point.

I think on the older Ecars chargers there was a power meter in a fusebox near the bottom which let you read the power delivered from the charger

I have a vague memory there was some complaints about a few chargers in lower voltage areas, so they weren't delivering as much power as advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Some of the earliest DBT units only gave 43kW on DC due to incoming voltage and or outgoing amperage limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

these are the green units?

also had the same problem with the newer 50kw ones, just never goes above 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I think this is the largest proposed EV charging facility in Ireland, at least that I have seen. Decision due tomorrow.

The development of a strategic Park & Ride facility located to the west of M11 Junction 6 at Fassaroe in the townlands of Fassaroe. The proposed development comprises a car park with a capacity of 388 parking spaces, including 26 spaces for mobility impaired users and 42 spaces for charging of electric vehicles. ....

Probably due to building regs.

Since it's a park and ride, slower AC chargers might be more useful. Or probably a mix would be good, lots of AC chargers plus a few HPCs for people doing a top up before heading home

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

7kW is the max you’d ever need at a park and ride facility…

• Advertisement

I'd hope they are all a mix of 7-11-22kW AC chargers and priced accordingly (ie 7kW is cheapest and 22kW is most expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

don't know where to post it so trowing it here. I have noticed this week that elli gives access to blink managed chargers. Q-park seem to have them here in Dublin, they claim 30ish chargers. I've tested the RFID card at Setanta last night and it worked like a charm and 11kW no less. Before, with blink app it was pretty bad due to coverage in underground carparks and 80 quid pre-auth per session. To bad my contract comes to an end in a few weeks.

Assuming you want to park and ride and therefore go somewhere for a minimum of 3 and a max of 12 hours, 7kW for3 hours gives 21kWh gross so yes I agree with you. 11kW would be nice to have too, once it's not one of those badly implemented 11kW installs that only give 3.7kW on each side on single phase - ie 16A one or three phase

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I have a 7kwh charger at home for nissan leaf at 62v.

Help me with the math. It takes over 15 hours to go from empty to full. Am I not getting 7kw every hour and if so shouldn't it take less than 10 hours?

7kW charger for a 62kWh leaf.

Leaf charges at 6.6kW gross, so lets say 6kWh per hour actually delivered to the battery. That would be approx 11-12 hours from absolutely empty to full, excluding any top balancing time. 15 hours if you're going from dead empty to top full doesnt seem unrealistic but I'd question the amount of balancing. Are you sure it's not a derated charger like 5kW or something? Or perhaps your voltage is low? It's actually a 32A charger and the voltage determines the kW. 32A at 209V is very different from 32A at 257V

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The voltage hardly changes that much does it? Especially on a dedicated connection to the cu. I couldn't see esbn getting away with such huge variations in voltage without somebody making a fuss about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Is it load balancing as well?

I have a zappi with load balancing on it & my house is power hungry at night. the load balancing regularly kicks in & even turns the zappi off occasionally

ESBN allow +/-10%, that's anywhere from 207V to 253V

Wut

I've long had this theory about Nissan that their design department has two settings, boring and repetitive or utterly bonkers

This definitely seems to be the latter, the interior is even crazier

Somehow I don't see the iron maiden style spikes getting past any crash test review board, particularly considering there's no seatbelts

Apparently the car has some feature where it'll record the surroundings and present it on screen with a sort of anime style overlay

I look forward to someone explaining in court that they thought those pedestrians they mowed down were just cartoon characters

Anyway, it's a concept car which will of course never be built

I really don't get why car companies waste their resources on these concept cars. Again there seems to be two types of concept, one which looks like it might actually end up being manufactured and then the utterly bizarre like this (another example would be that Mercedes concept that got longer or shorter)

I guess there's an element of cars as art, and also designers showing what they could do if they weren't bound to boring rules like practicality, manufacturability, safety or the general limits of the human body

• Advertisement

That's the specification (approx anyway). I see as low as 207V some nights as we draw 63A and there's a lot of farms around us. We can also see as high as 250V on a sunny day at 1pm as our solar is going full whack.

Advertisement