Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No satellite channels

• 15-10-2023 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭

Not sure what happened but I've no satellite channels on my walker tv only saorview.

I'm guessing it's the LNB as signal quality and level is shown 0%.

Does anyone have any tips for checking.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No harm unplugging the tv from the mains and reconnecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

It's happening to a few people, there's a few threads started recently. Here's one..

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058317777/lost-channels#latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are regular threads like that, if you look back over the pages. This is one from March.

Always look for the solution at the individual set up first. If broadcasters or the satellite operator changes something which will affect lots of people, they publish that information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Here is a photo I took from an open window, is there a direct replacement lnb? Or do I need a new dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

you have 4 cables from that lnb, the walker only needs one cable, where are the other cables connected?

All the others are not used now. One was for a sky box, then another two for when I upgraded to sky+ and the fourth for the walker which is in a different room.

• Advertisement

Outputs can fail one by one so my idea would be to try another one and see if it works. Also dish can move ever so slightly. If you can try other outputs.

mind you cables may be too far away.

Post edited by swoofer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Take out the wires from the box and switch them. Worked for me

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

I've ordered this, hopefully it's not raining when I get it

Update, it didn't work, changed lnb and still nothing.

Dish is old but still solid and tight.

I'm guessing it's the output on the back of the TV.

What sort of voltage should I get does anyone know.

Did you check the cable that goes in to back of tv? over time cable can detiorate. for a verticak channel you get 13 volt and 18 for horizontal, can you acccess the dish easyily? and did you put lnb back exactly as the old,

these are the possible problems.

1. dish moved. 2 dish old and lnb arm may have dropped, 3, cables old and detiorated, 4 lnb outputs faulty, 5 tv sat tuner broken,
    2. thats why i suggested trying other cables.did you try flipping dish ie pulling slightyly one one side or other, and pusing up lnb arm.

and you dont have a sat box to test?

where you located roughly

Yes checked dish push and pulling. I still might have a frerguson freeview box somewhere that I could could connect.

I have a cheap multi meter and I'm only getting 1.8volts from the back of the TV.

So next step is to find that frerguson box.

I'm in Dublin 15

So, I got some extra channels using the frerguson box but I'm guessing it's because it's tuning in astra 1 and 2 and hotbird, but no itv etc.

I'm guessing the dish has moved with the bad weather of the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Make sure to do a blind or network scan. If the box hasn't been used for a while it will not know the newer frequencies for some channels.

Success, that frequency is channel 4 hd on ASTRA 28 EAST and you wont pick up hotbird that easy. Ignore that astra 2A name they are now E, F, G,

Make that ferguson box do a full scan of ASTRA 28 EAST and bear in mind if its very old it wont tune in the HD channels.

Check SAT outlet on back on TV cable may have broken, have and look at cable and even re make it.

NB You should have tried the ferguson before getting LNB. Give me the model of the ferguson and i can check its age. Does it hxave scart at rear

I'm in clare so wont be able to lend you a good box to test signal.😀

Stations I have using the walker tv as of this morning, using satellite only.

Itv2+1

Itv3+1

Channel 4

Channel 4HD

Film4

E4

More4+1

4seven

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You may find this site useful for howto videos. https://www.freetv.ie/ferguson-ariva-150-video-user-manual/

This site lists all FTA channels. The tuning info for each TP is at the top of each paragraph. Ignore the decimals in the frequency.

https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Does it matter what way the lnb is angled. Mine is not straight down.

What’s the signal quality on the channels you have working like?

Bbc news, shows 100% strength and 20% quality.

Qvc style HD, shows strength 100% and 0% quality

Yeah mate you most likely need that dish re-aligned

Yes the lnb has to be skewed correctly , looking at the pic i would bring it back a tiny bit, there is usually degree markings on the lnb that you would see if you looked down from above. Another thing is what is called focal lenght and that is the distance of the lnb face from the dish, it has to be spot and that why sky dishes are preset from the outset. So if the skew is out and the focal length you will get some hannels but not all.

Also to me the dish elevation looks a bit too high, normally its almost vertial, i think the elevation is usually 21 or 22 and you can check on the side of dish.

To get it sorted you may need 2 people but a simple way is tune an itv1 channel for the vertical and Channel 5 hd for the horizontal.

11068.00V64U.K.DVB-S28PSK23000 3/4 - ITV HD

1305.00H109U.K.DVB-SQPSK27500 2/3 = CH5 HD

The skew for your location is LNB Skew [?]:  -15.3°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Unless that image is reversed the LNB should be skewed in the opposite direction

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Hi Tony, no that's the position it's in. Do you think in need to move the lnb to 7pm if the photo is 5pm.

• Advertisement

The best way to explain it is have the lnb dead straight as you look from front of dish and say that's 6pm , twist it ever so slightly to the left to about 6.35 pm and so that a small portion of the lnb arm is visible. But you need to keep and eye on that signal meter in the Ferguson. then check a V channel and H, IF SIGNAL FOR BOTH IS IN THE 90'S JOB DONE. If ITV is still bad move lnb in or out slowly and watch signal.

Here are the pics. No 1 shows what the elevation of the dish should look like.

" 2. shows the skew, this is an octo lnb so base is big, note the twist to left.

" 3. shows the correct position for the lnb to dish face, if you look closely there is a kink that stops the lnb going back any further. This is from 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yeah I would think more 6.30 to 7pm assuming the mount is at straight to the ground .

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Update.

Adjusted lnb to 6.35ish and signal and quality are 100%.

But had to do lots of manual tuning then set up a favourite list. No rte one, guessing aerial in attic needs adjust.

After and before

Advertisement