Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they were forced to offer it back for peace, they were going to get peace anyway so didn't need to steal it in the first place.

no i am satisfied egypt and syria were simply protecting their borders from israely border expansion, not an unreasonable belief given israel's previous border expansions and the lies put out to justify israel's ethnic cleansing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This is the million dollar question. If IDF causes a disproportionate level of civilian casualties, it's a war crime. But all signs are that so far they are not, the opposite rather.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"For the Jewish people"

Israeli Defense Minister warns of 'a long war'

CNN did not provide a translation of the Hebrew spoken.

Secretary Blinken reiterated US support for their "commitment and obligation to defend their people"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Is there any suggestion that these troops are going to be used anywhere in the Middle east? Otherwise why all the announcements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

At what level of civilian casualties is it disproportionate? What is the figure?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No they are all going to the eastern Mediterranean to support Israel ,

Why all of the announcements it's connected to the upcoming war due to the mass terrorist attack on Israel,

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

100% homer ! All those Ukrainian beheading videos ! I will take umbrage with the Simpsons however , they lampooned Christianity, Judaism, Hindu etc , but were terrified to have a go at Islam !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

i remember all the posts you've made on the two Ukraine threads one you no longer have access to and other in politics amounted to conspiracy theories and far right Nazism ,and definitely not Pro Ukrainian

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Exactly. As much as that disgusts some. Israel are doing well against them.

• Advertisement

According to the ABC report shared via tweet,

https://6abc.com/exclusive-us-to-send-2nd-aircraft-carrier-to-eastern-mediterranean/13920137/

"These posture increases were intended to serve as an unequivocal demonstration in deed and not only in words of U.S. support for Israel's defense and serve as a deterrent signal to Iran, Lebanese Hezbollah, and any other proxy across the region who might be considering exploiting the current situation to escalate conflict," a senior U.S. defense official said Monday. "Those adversaries should think twice."

Indeed, the suggestion is that forces being staged in escalation to the Middle East could be used against any of these adversaries. It's not like we haven't invaded Lebanon with Israel before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

But if they are not involved why send so many marines. And if they are not going to be involved why do you keep posting information on their movements? If its just a show of force I don't think we need to be updated about every ship movement.

Not a Simpsons fan?

"Sir, the shifts are fighting like Iran and Iraq!"

"Who?"

"Persia and Mesopotamia."

"Hush!"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't know, I don't think there are hard numbers or percentages. I asked ChatGPT and got quite a decent answer. Particularly the last paragraph could be crucial here if Hamas are using human shields.

"Disproportionate civilian casualty levels in war refer to a situation where the number of civilian casualties (deaths or injuries) exceeds what might be considered reasonable or justifiable in relation to the military objectives pursued. In armed conflicts, it is generally accepted that civilian casualties are unavoidable to some extent, but international humanitarian law places significant emphasis on minimizing harm to non-combatants.

The principle of proportionality is a fundamental aspect of international humanitarian law (IHL). It states that warring parties must refrain from conducting attacks that may be expected to cause excessive harm to civilians or civilian objects compared to the anticipated military advantage gained. In simpler terms, the military advantage gained should outweigh the potential harm to civilians.

When an attack results in civilian casualties that are grossly disproportionate to the expected military advantage, it can be considered a violation of the principle of proportionality, which is a breach of international humanitarian law. Such incidents can lead to war crimes investigations and prosecutions.

Determining what constitutes a "disproportionate" level of civilian casualties can be a complex assessment, as it involves weighing the value of a military objective against the potential harm to civilians. Factors taken into consideration may include the importance of the military target, the availability of alternative methods of attack, and the potential for collateral damage.

It's worth noting that in modern conflicts, densely populated urban areas are often the battlegrounds, making it particularly challenging to avoid civilian casualties. Efforts are made by military forces to use precision-guided weapons and adhere to rules of engagement that prioritize the protection of non-combatants. However, despite these efforts, civilian casualties still occur, and the assessment of proportionality remains a contentious issue, especially in conflicts where asymmetric warfare or insurgency tactics are employed.

It's important to emphasize that minimizing harm to civilians is a shared responsibility among all parties involved in a conflict, and accountability for civilian casualties is a crucial aspect of post-conflict justice and reconciliation efforts."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Those aren't the same aid packages.

The one that was to be "cancelled" (paused at least) was handled by the EU but was coming directly from the member state coffers. This is from the EU itself.

Out of the money last week only 4 countries (Ireland, Spain, Netherlands, and Luxembourg) objected to that move which is why the EU backtracked but it's only their money that is still continuing, the rest of the EU members have stalled their contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Don't let facts get in the way of your delusions then.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Honestly I I was in the states for the treacy Ullman show debut and thought the first 10 series or so were gold , OK , my point was that I never seen an episode lampooning Islam when at the time there was ample fodder , I suppose Phil Hartman being shot dead by his wife brought their mortality into focus , never mind Charlie hbedo!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Many consider the land acquired by isreal in spoils of war as the bad outcome. It was actually the good outcome considering the alternative had they lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pro Palestinian activist, said he was Islamic State member, still at large with an Ak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Carl Vinson super carrier also quietly set sail on Saturday.

Definitely interesting developments.

US intelligence must have something we dont know about yet. Or a serious show of force to stop other nations getting involved.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see Bibi is already trying to lay all the blame on the Security Services for what happened, rather predictable but ultimately a futile exercise. He won numerous elections on the basis he would keep Israelis safe, that other potential leaders were too soft for the job. Yet he has presided over the worst massacre of Israelis since the foundation of their state. He is finished after the war. Still he will get to live out a nice retirement. There are many who might think he should be in prison for the various crimes he has commited over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Looked up what that was, 1000ft long ship, and a crew of 6000.

Some yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Right, so although it gets cold for a while in winter, the real problem isn't lack of heating but lack of water, and lack of food.

Thirst will almost always kill you a lot faster than the cold, which you can dress up against. Hunger will get you eventually, a long lingering death.

Which do you think is best - to die of the cold, of thirst or of hunger?

I don't understand the relevance of the rhetorical. Israel cut off all 3, the Gazan civilians need all 3, there needs to be a resumption of services or an international aid corridor allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They must think this is about to spill over the border

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

POTUS warns it would be a "big mistake" for Israel to conduct an occupation of Gaza territory. "Israel is going to act under the major (?) rules of war."

"Working like hell" on hostage crisis

"Will provide [Israel] everything they need" military force

"Yes" to humanitarian corridor for Gazans out of the area

"Yes" to humanitarian supplies brought into Gaza

"Yes" to Hamas annihilation, but needs to be a Palestinian Authority, and path to a Palestinian State.

"Don't, Don't, Don't" to Hezbollah and Iran.

The full source interview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It's hard to know what is going on here, but remember that next year is election year for the next US president.

Biden wants to get all the optics right so that the US zionists (AIPAC, ADL etc) don't desert him, but if he goes too far overboard, the growing anti-zionist movement among younger Americans will not turn out for him. It's a delicate balancing act - promise lots of support, while making sure he doesn't haven't to deliver. I don't envy him here; and having extricated themselves from Afghanistan and Iraq, the last thing the US wants is to get bogged down in another unpopular war in the middle east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Advertisement