Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

More important to shoot fish in a barrell by constantly catching people above 60 on the n28 merge to n40e where I have never seen a crash despite using the road daily.

The merge behind the Rochestown Park Hotel is an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Unreal out there this morning. Earlier on, a crash on the N40W at Pouladuff had the traffic backed up all the way through the tunnel to Carrigtwohill. That blockage now seems to have cleared but there's another one further back between Douglas and the KRR exit. Meanwhile the N40E has a crash at the Bandon Road junction.

Something needs to be done about the standard of driving. Now that we're finally back to pre-pandemic traffic levels, this is back to being an almost daily occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

"Something needs to be done about the standard of driving. Now that we're finally back to pre-pandemic traffic levels, this is back to being an almost daily occurrence."

Better enforcement of The Rules of The Road and include a section of 100km/h road in the driving test.

Last year my sister in the UK got done for speeding and was given the choice of penalty points or attending a one-day course on speed awareness. Such an option, if extended to other offenses too, would help raise the standard of driving here and be a great help to reduce the carnage on our roads. Where's The RSA on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Took the missus 1 hour 40 minutes to get to work this morning via the tunnel. Usually a 20-30 minute trip. Unreal out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

It took me an hour to get from Maryborough Hill to UCC. I first went down Maryborough Hill and traffic was backed up to Maryborough House Hotel. I then went onto the N28, which was okay, but merging onto the N40 was not easy, and traffic was bumper to bumper then due to a three car crash by Vernon Mount Bridge. In this case, a third lane, for N28-N40 J6, wouldn’t have mattered as the J6 lane was empty, the problem was you didn’t know there was a crash in the far right lane until you got to it, and then people were trying to merge into the middle lane. Once I got passed the crash, the road was empty, and I got to the Wilton junction in no time

• Advertisement

Crash on the N40S right now, just at the entrance to the tunnel, presumably caused by somebody changing lanes when they didn't need to. As others have suggested, the lanes should be kept physically separated until the far side of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

From the picture in the latest newsletter it looks like the n25W to tunnel movement will have 2 lanes almost right up to the merge with the M8S traffic.

It looks to me like the merge will have to happen from around where the 2 lads are standing and end before the 2 links join up

It's going to be 3 lanes into 1 in what looks like quite a short stretch, not sure how that will work out but we'll find out soon enough.

Agreed, weaving (vehicles in the left lane changing to the right lane and vice versa) should be prevented from the ends of Link K and Link D (Southbound) until after the N40S exits from the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Physical separation won’t work. Those in the right will need to be able to access the emergency exit to the left in the event the tunnel is blocked.

Should such a situation arise the emergency services or gardai or tunnel staff could temporarily direct traffic across the divide, which need only be of the plastic post type already widely used to separate traffic flows.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9062987,-8.3518957,3a,75y,40.6h,76.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skmNXkSLW32vPdb_Q_0_HgA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=0&entry=ttu

• Advertisement

As niloc1951 mentioned, you deal with that requirement by using physical separators that can be temporarily removed. The same requirement you mention exists right through the tunnel in fact because if there's a breakdown or rear-ending, traffic would need to be able to get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Bloody shame that so many people are not capable of driving on dual laned roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Norteño

We are the worst in Europe for that; no one else comes close. Some Irish drivers are the worst I've ever witnessed.

You've obviously not driven on the roads of Italy, so 😂🤣😲

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Silly. I've driven all over Europe, Ireland is pretty decent. Have you been to Spain, Italy or Greece?

N25 backed up all the way from Dunkettle to beyond Carrigtwohill this morning. M8S backed up beyond Glanmire. Looks like a crash at one of the merges at Dunkettle. What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Norteño

I have driven lorries around all of those countries, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The VMS signs were saying a crash in the tunnel and everyone was happily joining the static queue. I went through the city, which at 730am was still clear.

As far as I could see driving past this one was on the south side of the tunnel, or just inside it. Nothing to do with merging at Dunkettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Risoc

Not sure about the happily part.

• Advertisement

Just like Friday, albeit earlier in the day today. I reckon it's just going to keep happening. In the last few weeks, almost every time I've entered the tunnel southbound I've witnessed what's technically referred to as sketchy shít. Sadly, too many people are either dicks or idiots or sometimes both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

So drove through yesterday at about 2pm.

N40 north through tunnel towards N25.

All flowing smoothly until you hit the lowest part of the tunnel and boom - Brake hard dead stop.

No .... reason. Just this endless domino effect.

Frustrating.

As said before, there should be continued lane separation until maybe 150m after the south exit of the tunnel.

Weaving of traffic from Link K and Link D (Southbound) to the southern end of the tunnel should not be permitted or facilitated. As has been shown, any crash caused by weaving can result in significant traffic queues which result in people being late for appointments or work, which in turn converts into an economic cost for commerce and industry.

There's not much that can be done, in the near term, for the merge from the N28, which sees regular disruption due to crashes involving merging vehicles but an immediate solution is available for the Link K and Link D (Southbound) merge.

And another merge-related incident this evening. This time, a lorry seems to have gone into the back of a car:

Came through the tunnel on Saturday from Mahon side. As we came out the other side a fella in the left hand lane suddenly veered across in front of the car in front of me to get over to the Dublin turnoff. The guy in front was on the ball and braked quickly, narrowly avoiding a nasty crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Same here, sat nav said use both lanes for M8.

Well if the sat nav is Google Maps, that’s not surprising given that Google now thinks there are two ways to get from the tunnel to the M8…see below. If on the other hand the sat nav is part of the car’s infotainment system, it should be updated some time in the next five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Easy mistake to make I suppose, your left red line is from tunnel to N25 eastbound and where you have it joining the M8 is the missing link from the N25 westbound. Bad overlay alright.

When looking at the live feed of the N40 North of Tunnel, I still see vehicles making a last-minute dive across from the left lane for the M8 exit.

Is the sign for the M8 being spread across the two lanes of the N40 giving some drivers the idea that the M8 is accessible from both lanes of the N40?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

I would imagine so, also the fact hgv's "shouldn't" be in the right lane and overtaking being forbidden in the tunnel make it a perfectly storm for chaos imho.

Advertisement