Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What mistake was Porter making? He's a very experienced scrummager.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

Because Porter was driving at an angle, and continued to do so all game? As he has been doing all tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Piskin

We were headless chickens in the first quarter due to fear in the biggest game of them all.

He was going in crooked everytime. For an experienced hooker he was awful on saturday when he was needed most...

• Advertisement

JGP is overrated, face the facts James Lowe, Bundie Aki,JGP are NZ rejects.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

From somebody who didn't spot a try and conversion being scored when they had 14.

Exaggerating a few mistakes is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

So Leicster is a Tongan reject? DeGroot an Aussie reject? Stop!

• Advertisement

For someone who can't see that we choked on saturday night...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Watching it now and its 20 minutes in but no sign of headless chickens?

Great attack from NZ and defence from Ireland. Bit unlucky to give away penalty as player was pinned and couldn't roll away.

Turned over on halfway and NZ kick penalty.

Good irish attack ending in suspicious steal by NZ and they clear to touch.

NZ score a brilliant try from open play.

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Lot of bollox being spoken on this thread since the match. Can't really understand it, its almost as if certain people are happy the team was beaten or are just on wum mode for the craic. It was a close game fook all in it.

The top 4 teams can all beat each other - we beat South Africa and France earlier in the year but lost to NZ even though we beat them in NZ last year. France beat NZ and lost to SA and us earlier in the year.

There's such small margins but certain people seem only too delighted to use the terms bottlers/chokers etc. Facts are it was very tight and unfortunately we came out on the wrong side of it. I do think nerves played a part we definitely started slowly and I'm still gutted over it but reading some of the comments here are bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

What position does Porter play? And don’t look this up if you don’t already know. Just put away the internet for a while and find a ball of wool to play with til bedtime.

For a top team to makes mistakes like that in the first quarter is brainless. The fact is NZ knocked us out of our comfort zone and we couldn't adapt or at least think on our feet. The kiwis knew very well the weak irish game mentality and exploited it like other teams have down the years. If you cannot think on your feet then you are a headless chicken!! Again when it mattered most we didn't have it upstairs.

It was 13-0 and then 18-17 at halftime which means they adapted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Cheers. I wish we hadn’t had to have met in the ¼ finals. I’ve not forgotten the spell 1991 to 2007 for nz. One off games can go either way. I think nz can beat Argentina after that who knows. I couldn’t get tickets for the 1/4s but have managed to get for the ½ final. Taking my 11 year old daughter to her first live match. Will try and be the antithesis of a typical kiwi by making some noise to support the team. I do wonder who bundee, Jameson and James will support now. I’d like to think nz. You guys will be back. There is real respect for Ireland now. Which has been earned on the field.

Meant prop sorry, typo error. Porter was awful the whole tournament and was making the same mistakes

Adapted too late...again couldn't think on their feet when it mattered most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Another question, did it get to the players or did they just have an off game? They aren't robots, you're not going to be at your best every single match.... its why sports is so compelling. Its why we watch it. The minnows having their day out in the sun sometimes v the big boys...

There's a lot of nonsense talk about 'We were hyping ourselves up'. Firstly who is we, also people need to understand the nature of sport and enthusiasm.

1. Andy Farrell his management team or players never hyped themselves up. They are European Champions, Series winners in New Zealand and thus one of the top 4 favourites. We never entered a World Cup as strongly. These things can't be denied and are not hype.
    2. Posters on here. All the rugby core posters, Syd, Venjur, Aloof and the countless others were all optimistic but wary. We weren't a standout favourite like New Zealand in 2011 and 2015.
    3. This has been a fairly dull sports year for many, the GAA inter county season is over in July, our Soccer team are at a low ebb. What was there left to build up to.. the Rugby World Cup. You had friendlies from August. A two month tournament. That's a lot of time to talk about rugby. It's not the management or team's fault July to October would be dominated in the media by Rugby World Cup talk. There's a huge cross section of people who follow all our team sports. So it was going to be rugby July on.
    4. The rugby team and management are very likeable people. Andy Farrell is a decent man, with Irish roots and a working class background that a wide cross section of people relate to. He's a very popular straight talking man. His predecessors were good men too. Andrew Porter, Josh VDF, Doris, Ringrose, Aki, Furlong etc are all grounded fine young men, leaders and men with character. Sexton and O'Mahony have their edge and not everyone's cup of tea. But every team has those personalities. I saw Sexton on the Late Late in the Spring with a girl with a serious disability. She spoke of how he always kept in touch. He's a different man away from the pitch. God knows we all know people who lose it a bit on the pitch in any sport but are often fine people away from that environment.
    5. If Virgin or RTE are constantly making ads about rugby, so what? Are you going to berate our team because Donal Lenihan says 'we can dare to dream'?? That's television. When Dancing With The Stars is on it's two months of ads about that. Rubbish shows like the talent ones on Virgin are advertised to death. This doesn't mean the rugby populace or the team and management are doing the hyping. That's television the world over.
    6. Just adding. A miserably wet summer and autumn since July had a lot looking forward to an escape more than ever!

At the end of the day we were a top 4 team with New Zealand, France and South Africa. The 4 teams got tough draws. We played a quarter final against New Zealand we made some errors in and lost by 4 points. We fought back well from 0-13. We had a chance to win it, we were held up over the line. We lost that's sport. Anyone who has ever been involved at any level of any sport will know that. I'm not even going into explaining what a bottler is again. I was in old Lansdowne when we lost by about 50 points to New Zealand in 1997. We just keep improving. It's a long way back to 1997. A few posters have mentioned shame and embarrassment. That's, quite frankly ridiculous, and attitudes and feelings like that are owned by the individuals who typed them. They are yours and belong to nobody else. The question for you is why are you adopting a Roy Keane pre 2002 World Cup approach that anything other than outright victory is failure? Do you apply those same standards to areas of your life? Do you apply them as stringently to other sports Irish teams are involved in? If you're coming from a GAA, Soccer, Horse Racing, Boxing etc background do you apply these standards to the teams you support? Would you belittle their achievements if similar to the rugby team's Six Nations and New Zealand series win..

Do non rugby people realise a Test Series is not a group of friendlies? Do you understand how small our rugby playing population is and the scale of our over achievement? Just a few thoughts.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Good luck and well done! Improving really well and played a great game.

What a game. Highly recommend watching it again.

Aaargh @ Kelleher looking at the ref before picking that ball up!!!!! critical, critical error and NZ get a penalty from the resulting scrum.

NZ comms on replay I'm watching and they are a million times better than RTE. Can we borrow them for all our live rugby?

It's a good question. It's hard to break sporting barriers, we would have got to a semi only for the draw IMO. I often think of Limerick hurlers. They were losing finals in 1994, 1996, 2007 etc and really heading the Mayo route. How John Kiely and his team turned them around mentally is seriously impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A few absolute brilliant thoughts. Very balanced and sensible post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Sarcastic nature of the post aside, lets actually examine what you're claiming here.

Hey everybody, turns out that this wasn't actually Irelands best ever chance to win a world cup. They weren't actually the number one team in the world

I've seen nobody claim otherwise.

they didn't have only one injury,

Hansen too looked to be carrying an injury tbh. Not bad enough to keep him out, but certainly not firing on all cylinders. Earls too was injured and may have made the 23.

New Zealand weren't actually considered 2nd favourites for only the 6th time in history,

Which, if anything, is actually indicative of how difficult a task it is to beat NZ

New Zealand didn't get hit with 2 yellow cards during the game.

Again, obviously nobody has claimed otherwise. Yet this overlooks the fact that discipline is something within your remit.

And most importantly, Ireland didn't actually underperform in the game, they didn't make a mess of their set plays and nobody was below par in any way at all.

Again, I've seen nobody make this claim.

So overal, rather than this:

Why do we have to pretend all that? Because some people can't be objective about what happened.

It's much more that some people like to present plenty of strawmen within their arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Tommysocks11

What's the issue with porters scrummaging, why didn't he just ensure he was square and just solidify the scrum without boring in and hips flared out, cost us 3 penalties and probably the game, and why didn't referee pull NZ on the line out encroaching where they were literally on our side and not keeping the distance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Aside from anyone else, Sheehan should've been phased out 4 years ago?? Call up the U20's, lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭downtheroad

We did not have a tough group. We won 82-8, 59-16 and 36-14 against 3 poor sides.

We played 1 tough match in the group, that's all. 

Advertisement