Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You don’t repel a 2o phase onslaught by running around like ‘headless chickens’. You have to be organised, accurate and decisive or they score a try.

That happened in the period you are waffling and exaggerating about.

Honestly, of all the posters arriving to demean you are the one I think hasn’t watched the match or if you did you haven’t the foggiest what you were looking at. From the minute by account of the Guardian

5 mins. The latest penalty lineout is tidier from NZ and they are in the Irish 22 and working repeat phases . It’s nearly 20 phases in total, but is being well contained by Ireland, with credit to both sides for their breakdown discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Piskin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Even the claim that we **** the bed in the first 20 is crap. We had two attacks where we had them under massive pressure, the one where a poor pass from Keenan went into touch, and JGP lost the ball forward under their posts. Right after that Barrett has his chip that leads to the try. It was a very even period, a couple of moments came off for them and didn't for us

Yes.

Because NZ are a class top team and took their chances. Did somebody convince you they were not capable of scoring? We were a point behind them at halftime anyway.

Also not achieveable by headless chickens.

Were we not supposed to be a class top team as well in fact the best in the world? I said they were headless chickens in the first quarter.

• Advertisement

They weren’t.

It has been proven to you they couldn’t possibly have done what they did if they were but still you insist with a lie.

FFS Two other top teams went toe to toe and scored sgainst each other in the Fra v SA game. Where the hell did you get the notion NZ were not likely to score. Preposterous bullshit.

Goodnight

Overly emotional...understandable after the loss. Sadly that Irish side choked by definition. I think it was our best ever chance to at least get to a semi-final but anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Watching the match back, we were far better with ball in hand than NZ for the majority of the game. They struggled to make any ground against our defense, whereas we managed multiple times to make inroads into their 22 from deep. Such narrow margins.

JGP made some poor decisions at key times when we were pressing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

I watched some but it’s a hard watch, very unlucky even with a few mistakes that cost us. ABs made very few and no handling errors which is an incredible stat. Shows they needed a near perfect game to beat us even when we weren’t playing at our very best. Hats off to a truly great Irish team heading into the sun.

2 moments stuck out from the game and I’m still feeling them, the.2nd last pass to Ioane for the first try was well forward, and Whitelock never released for the turnover that ended the game!

definitely not a choke on Saturday. Irish teams of old would have folded up their tents at 13-0 to the all blacks, we did even in 2019, but not this team. They fought back twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Greengrass53

The amount of forward passes not pinged is off the scale. It's a bit of a joke at this stage just like a lot of rugby laws. Every ref has his own set of rules afaics.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So why focus on the outhalf who had the easiest ride of the lot of them. Our 12 had played every single minute in the competition, why aren't you clamering that he should have been replaced??

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Waste a time. There are posters who will pin choker/bottler based off even one criterion: we lost.. many who probably didn’t even watch the match..

😁😁 You have been busted lad.

Not a leg to stand on. Making stuff up and for what?

To feed nothing but your bitterness.

Those who follow the rugby threads here predicted you and others would arrive on thread if we happened to lose, you didn't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

The david Beckham documentary on Netflix. Real Madrid started having bad run of results, the manager said it was the other sides raising their game against the favourites ...

I've just seen the new rankings, Ireland 3rd. Behind nz and sa. If we just adopt the " throw the baby out with the bathwater " approach its risky. We really want to be in the top seeds or the challenge becomes much bigger...

Agree...Barnes had opportunities to put his arm out several times in the last phase including the blatant last no release. Contrary to the exaggerated talk by the 'bottling gang' Sexton was running into the rucks trying to keep the ball moving and was tired not 'out on feet'. I think he would have kicked to the corner and then it would have come down to the team with momentum trying to maul over a lineout against a team desperately defending for the previous 10 minutes.

Such a finely balanced outcome. NZ instantly knew what they had just pulled off and fair play to them, we'd be still celebrating after that titanic struggle had we come out on top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

Heard an experienced front rower (James Tracey) go through this one. In his view Porter was 100% legal. His view was the NZ loose head was stepping out a little with the aim to cause Porter to angle in on the opposite side. Furlong held square however and did not fall for it and Ireland got the shove on. NZ knew however that Porter's bind looks odd even when its legal. So they painted a picture for Barnes and he fell for it. Probably teed up with a dossier sent in during the week. It was planted in Barnes head that Porter could be illegal in the scrum and when a picture was presented that looked a bit odd up goes the arm.

That first penalty was crucial. Correct decision there was penalty to Ireland and we would have been 3-0 up.

Here is analysis from a retired International LH Prop. He would have said the second one was a penalty to NZ though. Picture was already painted from the first though. Ireland knew they have to change the picture from the first one so were probably thinking what they needed to do differently and the NZ LH got the push on Furlong. Porter was still legal though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post is incredibly defeatist. Talking about the Test Series after we've just been dumped out of the World Cup again, good grief. Yea a test series isn't a bunch of friendlies but it's still absolutely nothing relative to a World Cup, and this is 100% just lowering expectations to avoid having to be critical.

Honestly lines like this, writing it off as "that's sport" are infuriating:

We fought back well from 0-13. We had a chance to win it, we were held up over the line. We lost that's sport.

The most frustrating thing about this tournament is not that we lost yet another quarter final, it's that we failed to take what was the biggest opportunity in our history. We could have 100% won that competition outright.

Ireland had to get out of their pool and then win 3 games. If Ireland had played to their ability for those 3 games they would have won it. This is not like pervious tournaments where we would have needed monumental fortune to go the distance, this was a tournament where the outcome was entirely within our own hands, we were more than good enough to get the job done.

And we didn't. We didn't play to the best of our ability in the biggest game of our history. We coughed up cheap points. We let in soft tries. We missed absolute gimme kicks. Writing this off as "just sport" is 100% nonsense IMO, waffling about a series win last year, as if that's supposed to take the edge off, is incredibly small time. I would bet you not a single NZ player or fan would swap Saturday night for that test series, they know what really matters. We were very sure of ourselves after that series win, they gave us a big dose of reality on Saturday night cause they are the ones that got the job done when it really, really mattered.

I guess people who can so easily write this off and just move on, or talk about series wins, or talk about six nations, weren't as invested in the outcome of this tournament as I was.

We are definitely the best nation in the world at finding excuses when our team doesn't deliver, perhaps our willingness to keep making excuses and avoid saying anything too negative plays a part in why Irish Rugby persistently fails to break this glass ceiling.

'I guess people who can do this weren't as invested in the outcome of this tournament as I was.'

Expected better. Childish argument, I care more than you, because I'm obviously feeling the pain more. How do you know?

Seems to be an agenda here.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

We had the winning of it, world cup quarter finals v new Zealand are mammoth games, I doubt the OP played any sport to any level if they did they wouldn't even think of starting a thread like this, but an armchair fan would.

With respect Awec, 'could have, should have, would have' is the very essence of sport.

Of course everything you say is correct, but what actually happened, the reality of it is that 'that's sport' for you. France will be feeling the same, we are not alone.

You can still do the fault finding, analysis that should be done as to why it happened, while accepting the above.

• Advertisement

It's not really the same as France, France will definitely be back.

Will Ireland ever have an opportunity like this again? No, I don't think so, certainly not with this generation of players. We are losing too many key men, this was our peak when all our stars were aligned. We managed to keep a 38 year old Sexton fit. We had no real injury problems.

This was our opportunity and we didn't take it. We're now going to go through the dreaded transition phase, I fully expect our standards will drop, how far is anyones guess.

This is not like the previous exits, this one is way worse. This was honestly the opportunity of a lifetime for these players and we didn't perform to our very best.

People express hurt in different ways. As I said Sunday, I'll never watch that game again.

Cheap shots.

Seriously?

What basis have you for that prognosis?

I agree by the way it was a great opportunity, but it didn't happen, as many many teams before have found before us and France after us. They certainly seen a home WC with the team they had as a huge opportunity.

I don't see why you are so depressed going forward. We may have to transition a bit but I have faith in the systems and structures that we can rebuild and we know the way back, we know what the effort has to be, and we have learned a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Both the JGP try and Aki try were very soft from a Kiwi perspective. Failure to execute basic tackles on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Only one team can win the competition, all the rest will be failures, sport is tough, armchair analysis of it is easy.

These sort of posts are so vacuous.

Perhaps we should just close the forum down, since the entire purpose of a rugby forum is armchair analysis. What are you expecting here, 72 pages of "oh, sport is tough, it's grand, we'll just move on. Sure we won a series, it's grand, none of us were ever pro rugby players."

Yes, only one team can win the competition. If Ireland played to the best of their ability they had a very good chance of that one team being us. The best chance we've ever had. We didn't play to the best of our ability when it really, really mattered, and so we passed up on a monumental opportunity. It's bizarre how you don't get this.

Who doesn't get it Awec?

I don't understand the gripe here. Or what you want to do about it bar analyse what went awry and try to do better the next time.

We have been here before, 'there'd never be another team like the one Brian O'Driscoll was on', etc etc but there was and it was better and it reached heights we (or certainly I) never thought could be reached.

They lost a match to an elite team that most folks would have made a 50/50. Lost by a very very small margin. Your whole argument is “didn’t perform to their best” is every bit as lazy as others you are criticising for their take.

NZ and Ireland made mistakes. It’s bound to happen. That’s what sport is about. We weren’t perfect, but rarely is any team “perfect.” NZ were quite a tough team to beat Saturday

I think that NZ team will make a strong challenge for the title now.

• Advertisement

They have every bit a chance to win as SA/Eng and Argentina.....I'd make them slight favorites.

Advertisement