Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kleyn is immense at scrums, rucks and mauls, we definitely missed him but as I said, that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Thanks for putting a smile on my face on a grim Monday.

Do you think you'll ever get over him not making the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's key to remember that Porter is not a great scrummaging loose head. Every sc rum is a potential penalty. Kleyn doesn't change that. Furlong has been ordinary for a year. The scrum isn't a strenght.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Irelands next match is February v France in Marseille.

id say that cant come quick enough for both teams.

Ireland have France and England away this six nations. But it would be great to see some new faces v Wales, Scotland and Italy.

Depending on contract negotiations for the likes of Aki Ireland could lose the likes of Sexton, Earls, Murray, Pom, kilkoyne and aki for the 6 nations.

Favourite to replace them for me would be Frawley, Baloucoune, Doak, Coombes,Milne and Osbourne.

Then next summer Ireland travel to South Africa for a 2/3 game tour.. thats something to seriously look forward to.

I wonder will Ireland see an Emerging tour before the 2025 summer when a few Ireland players will hope to be on the lions.

This next year looks to be a big year for some players to try force their way back into the squad. The likes of Coombes, larmour, frawley, Tommy o brien, connors, Carberry, Stockdale, Deegan, balacoune, H Byrne and Daly are all beteren 24 -27 now so it's $hit or get off the pot time for them.

Then it's a potential break out year for the likes of Osborne, Milne, Boyle, Gunne, Quinn, crothers etc.

Lots to look forward to this season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd much rather play Georgia and Uruguay then go to SA to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Only getting round to posting about the game now - congrats to our Kiwi posters on the deserved win. Whatever went on we didn't hit the ground running from the off and didn't deserve it. We had more possession, more territory, more metres, more passes, more runs.. they had two lads in the bin for 20 mins of the game... and we still lost. I always felt like they had more in them if needed also, they played smarter I felt.

I haven't watched it back nor have I any intention of... but some things that struck me:

*Poor decisions, poor decisions. Players running away from clearout support in particular drove me mad. Even JGP's try, if he was a fraction shorter he was getting turned over. Some poor choices by our half backs in particular. Silly kicks and passes that were uncharacteristic of them. Pressure I guess?

*Sexton left on too long. He was at literal walking pace at the end and just shovelling on ball. He actually only ran the ball once according to ESPN. Baffling that Crowley wasn't brought on.

*JGP had a poor day at the office, it wasn't a good world cup for him overall to be honest. So slow in the first 20 to get out the ball and I don't think he handles being under pressure well (he probably isn't under it a lot at club level to be honest). He also could have been protected a bit better at ruck time to be fair.

*Not a good tournament overall for Doris who has let the yips with the ball back into his game again and I don't think he hit the heights we know he can hit.

*POM tidied up a lot of lineout ball for us, should have gone shorter to him earlier, we missed James Ryan in the lineout too as an option I felt. The backrow as a unit were outplayed, Cane's defensive work is underrated and he hit everything in green HARD the whole game - top tackler on the day with 22. Savea was a class apart also. Backrow and the setpiece is where they did massive damage to us.

*Murray's penalty was braindead. Thought he was grand outside of that but that was really costly.

*Aki was superb, he was like a man possessed out there. Probably the player of the tournament to date. One of the few giving us go-forward at the death.

*Keenan is another who came out of this smelling of roses, he's a classy, classy player.

*Furlong looks to be a little bit on the wane from previous heights, going on 12 months since I first posted it here. Needs a Cian Healy renaissance. Porter is in trouble when refs ping him on not scrummaging straight... is an animal otherwise.

*I thought Jimmy O'Brien had a good cameo off the bench, which makes the case for more fresh legs like Crowley not being used all the more baffling. Conan had some nice carries and actually made more ground the JvdF in his time off the bench. Right call to take him off. I'm sure there'll be eyes rolled at this but we could have done with some of Coombes' power in a match this tight. Maybe his time will come down the line.

*For all of Clegg's constant overhyping of McCarthy (and I do think he is a talent but still incredibly raw), he still makes a raft of errors. Missed half his tackles, that poor clearout was costly too.

*Ringrose - I think he's fantastic in attack but I've mentioned about his tackling before on here and based on missed tackles the other night I was looking into his performances this year in defence. I think his tackling could be better for a 13, his technique can be poor at times (head on the wrong side) and well, look at these below, he misses 41% of his tackles. Not suggesting him being dropped but something I've been picking up on it the past while that I thought was interesting. In that 18 phase defence v Scotland he was the only one to miss one for e.g.

v NZ - Made 2, Missed 3

v Scotland - Made 5 Missed 7

v SA - Made 5 Missed 3

v Tonga Made 4 Missed 0

v Romania Made 1 Missed 1

v England Made 7 Missed 3

V Scotland (6N) Made 2 Missed 7

v France (6N) Made 10 Missed 4

v Wales (6N) Made 10 Missed 4

*I do wonder if we missed a trick in not having Rob Herring on the bench in retrospect, big admirer of him. Does the nuts and bolts well, good in the loose and an older calmer head. Sheahan was being well marshalled.

*A lot of change coming down the line for Ireland with the age profile - I'd be biting the bullet now and easing out the likes of POM, JGP, Lowe, Murray, Aki, Killer, Herring etc in the next 12 months or so. Sexton and Earls are already gone. Let's see what sort of a team Farrell can build on his own two feet, I hope he stays with us. I think there's a great pool of talent coming through, let's see what he can put together.

*Also, thanks Earlsy - been an absolute joy to watch you. Sexton too. Two all-time greats in their positions for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think GR's stats tend to look bad because of how he/ireland defends, he's a very intelligent defender

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He is. He puts so much pressure on the offensive player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Touching on some of the analysis above, I agree JGP had a poor game. There were a few moments of his decision making that cost us. The 2nd attack we had, he picks the ball up from a ruck under the posts and just looks bewildered, falls into retallick and turns the ball over. The aforementioned questionable passes and kicks. Not his best.

On Ringrose, that last sequence when he took contact instead of passing gave me horrible flashbacks to the Saracsns HC final when he blew another potential game winning overlap. It's a bad trait of his that can pop up at the worst time.

For all the talk of us choking, the stats were dead even between the two teams at the half, with NZ having kicked twice as many meters

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭roverjoyce

No need for central contracts now, nothing until 2 years out

Let them pick players in form no matter where there are playing

Player load management has proved not to work in this world cup so forget about it 4 years away from 1

Hasn't affected Any of the semi finalists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭ersatz

we have a preoccupation with managing minutes and a belief that it puts our players into a better position than our competitors, but does it really? England seem fully stacked with front line players who are apparently flogged to death, similar to France. You could say the same for South Africa. It has the potential to extend careers (see JS) but there again you have a rake of guys well into their 30s across the top teams, in particular 2nd and back row players.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joma4good

I thought one of the major reasons for managing minutes was to spread the availability of match time across more players seeing as we only have the four provinces? I agree it doesn’t seem to effect our competitors too badly on the player rested front.

Best analysis that I read on here of the game/RWC.

Maybe Kleyn would steady the scrum a bit more and we concede less scrum penalties but scrums aside, he's immense at the breakdown and maul attack/defense too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see we're already back to provincial point scoring.

Didn't last long.

Every player who plays for Ireland plays for a province, if you get annoyed over someone posting about players playing for provinces then the Irish thread isn't the best thread to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I mean you've clearly just come back in to start a **** fight.

Good luck to you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

*Ringrose - I think he's fantastic in attack but I've mentioned about his tackling before on here and based on missed tackles the other night I was looking into his performances this year in defence. I think his tackling could be better for a 13, his technique can be poor at times (head on the wrong side) and well, look at these below, he misses 41% of his tackles. Not suggesting him being dropped but something I've been picking up on it the past while that I thought was interesting. In that 18 phase defence v Scotland he was the only one to miss one for e.g.

Saw a video on the Irish defensive set up that was interesting, and highlighted the role that Ringrose plays in some of our turnovers. They made the argument that Ringrose job is sometimes to "miss" a tackle, taking the momentum from a ball carrier, whose natural instinct is to try and make that missed tackle count by continuing his run. Instead, he's swallowed up by two to three Irish players that were lined up behind Ringrose, and with their reduced speed, a dominant tackle can be made, resulting in a greater turn over chance.

I don't know if it's true or not, but since watching it, I do think that there's definitely some truth in it, I have seen a Ringrose missed tackle occur (the Scotland game, I believe) when there was three Irish players ready and waiting.

Nope, I explained to you that every player who plays for Ireland plays for a province.

Should we all take exception when a poster posts about a player from their province.

• Administrators Posts: 53,812 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kleyn doesn't play for Ireland any more. I don't think this discussion needs rehashed over and over again. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Whether or not it's to lead to a turnover, I saw something similar from (I think) Andy Friend about Connacht's defense. He was saying that their missed tackle count always looks high, but part of that is that part of the system was having one or two shooting up to put pressure on the attack way behind the gain line. They don't always make the tackle, but they always (in theory) interfere with the attack.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think it's his "job" to miss, I think more that it's not his primary aim to make the tackle so much as it is to disrupt the attacker. If he makes the tackle great, but the goal is to disrupt the attack which he does exceptionally well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So as we move on, who is the next captain. James Ryan seems the obvious one, but he was dropped for the last match he was available for. Personally I think that was a one off, we missed him badly at the breakdown against NZ, but if he isn't absolutely guarenteed his place in the team it may open up a debate here. We don't want to be in an England situation with Owen Farrell having to be picked because he is captain (same with Dylan Hartley before that).

Garry Ringrose on the other hand is our undisputed 13 and I can't see that changing in the next 4 year cycle. He has captaincy experience and I'm sure is part of the leadership team. Obviously Farrell will know all these guys inside out and will gave more info than we do. But from the outside I'd be edging towards Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

I would prefer Ryan as captain. A guy in amongst the breakdown in earshot of the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

All the very best to Earls, a magnificent servant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As a true blue Leinster fan, I'd like to place on record my admiration for Keith Earls, as a player, as a man, as a husband and Dad, as a representative of his childhood area, his City and his Province.

And we know now he represented all of those places and values while fighting the demon of mental health challenges that so many of us do.

I hope he has a long, happy, healthy and prosperous retirement from playing, but I hope he won't be lost to the game entirely, in whatever capacity.

PS: Ringrose or Van der Flier for Ireland Captain, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭techdiver

I'm truly crestfallen after Saturday night. I genuinely believed this was our time. A few observations from what I remember (watched the game in the pub and haven't watched it back since so you can call me out on BS if that's what I'm talking).

The Whinges:

1. NZ first try had a clear forward pass to me. Not a drift forward but always forward.
    2. "No clear head contact" on Bundi???
    3. NZ constantly closing the gap at the lineout (although there has been an epidemic of that this world cup without being called).
    4. I think Barnes went in with the thought in his head that Porter bores in and NZ took advantage of that. I think Lomax instigated the lateral shift on a few occasions but Barnes pinging Porter for it.
    5. The final turnover from Whitelock. To me he did not have a clear release after the tackle.

The Regret:

1. Horrible start which in the end cost us the game. Very nervous and not cohesive at all in contrast to the last 2 years.
    2. The bounce of the ball. Sheehan was in only for that cross kick took the worst possible bounce. Compare that the the two kicks NZ put in that bounced into the bread basket each time and that is just plain bad luck.
    3. Sextons missed penalty. This was massive. If he had nailed that we would have been ahead post the PT which would have changed the complexion of the game. Even if NZ still took the lead subsequently a drop goal would have won it which would have been on in the last phase of play.
    4. Kelleher getting held up. Since the rule change I think it is criminal to get held up. If there is a hint of doubt drop before the line and recycle. That try was the wining and losing of the game.
    5. Decisions making. Never seen us more panicky. Some of the decisions were terrible in open play. There was one kick over the top by Sexton that was scarcely believable from both a execution and "it wasn't on" point of view.

The Positives:

1. Unlike other WC exits this was different. Any other past Irish team that found themselves 13 - 0 against New Zealand in a quarter final would have packed up the bus and shipped a hammering. Credit to this Irish side for showing such fight and determination and get back into the game not once, twice, but three times to be within striking distance at the end despite everything that went wrong. Anyone that calls this team "chokers" are either trolls or complete idiots who don't understand the term.
    2. Jimmy O'Brien. For his first appearance at the world cup he made a massive impact and has 100% shown that he is up to this level. I expect him to be a permanent fixture in the Irish 23 going forward as even if he doesn't start in games his versatility to cover pretty much every back position from 12 - 15 means you really need him in there.

Unfortunately I see Ireland regressing over the next few years as despite our lauded conveyor belt of talent coming through I just don't see us kicking on from this for a while (just a gut feeling with no evidence by the way based on some psychological damage that must be done to many of these Leinster and Irish players who's consistency and ultimate failure when it matters most is scarily similar). The form of too many players at the World Cup was below where they were 9 - 12 months ago. VDF, Doris, Ryan, Porter, Furlong were all below the standard they were at last year.

There needs to be some level of re-building and people will need patience. The interesting thing is will the IRFU have patience? In the grand scheme of things the world cup means very little to the IRFU from a day to day management and funding of rugby. The meal ticket is the 6 nations and despite the fact that we built good depth we were still short of proper depth in some key positions. Props are the worry going forward. The scrum was one area where we've been consistently weak during the entire Farrell era. Porter played too many minutes as what was behind him was not international standard never mind the standard to win a WC. I know the injury to Healy was massive in that front, but we need more than 2 loose heads. Furlong is now a worry. He is a shadow of himself a few years ago. He looks out of shape and doesn't present the same nimbleness and ball carrying threat of years past. 10 is an obvious area where there will be a gaping hole. I am positive about Crowley though as he looked the business when he did play. The fact that Farrell left a legless Sexton on for the entire match on Saturday was confusing to me as Crowley could have brought a fresh injection to the line. Back row will be interesting. Do we move Beirne to 6 to make way for McCarthy or do we move Doris to 6 and start Conan at 8?

We will all watch with interest over the next year or so to see what comes next, but for now, rightly or wrongly it feels like just another failure at the world cup and as usual the same teams always manage to time their peak to perfection when we just didn't hit the heights of the past on Saturday. I've said before, after previous world cups that 6 nations mean more to us than rugby championships mean to the likes of South Africa and New Zealand. They are truly 4 year cycle teams. Now would I give up wining and consistently competing in 6 nations every year just to win a knockout game at a world cup? 100% No. But that just puts our priorities into perspective.

Anyway, I've probably made some decent point mixed in with bullshit ramblings but just my initial thoughts a couple of days after the dust settled. After being like a child at Christmas Eve every evening watching all the games, I now find myself put off by the whole thing of once again watching the same teams win it again. It's like, "Oh great another South Africa v New Zealand game". If they meet in the final it'll be the 3rd time they have played each other in as many months. It does show the weakness of rugby as a truly global sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Nope it shows SH dominance.how many weeks before the Irish fans start saying they going to win the next World Cup.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

we're going to win the next world cup...

zero weeks needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

While I admire anyone who will sit down and dissect the game and the key moments and the game management and the decisions of the officials, I'm avoiding that.

Haven't read or watched an article or a social media post or a podcast or a vox pop or a players flight home video or anything. Haven't opened the match thread on here since about 11pm Saturday.

I just cannot.

Advertisement