Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Helium

The Boss is right though.

Depends on location really, middle of a housing estate, I wouldn't. Out the country I definitely would.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭mac1961

Are people happy with glo therm. I have an insert stove and I use hardwood and coal. It looks like a great deal. Just wondering from the people that purchased it would they recommend. Cheers

Like yourself insert stove with nice seasoned hardwood the glotherm perfectly compliments it. I put a bed of glowtherm down at start and just use sticks for rest of evening. Last night had bit of turf on and put few ovoids on when it died down and it was still glowing this morning. Well pleased with it but that's just my opinion. As the old saying goes though 'opinions are like ars*holes, everyone has one'😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Jaysus you must be roasted with a fire going already

The internet isn’t for everyone

Cold creatures I'm living with and I just do as I'm told

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Fire going here tonight. North wind all day and wife still suffering from Covid.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CosyChair

Hope the good weather lasts a bit longer for the poor souls up in tents in kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭wassie

Had my first open fire with my columbian from easyglow.ie (which is actually LCC Group Black Emerald coal) last night.

Good flame and heat. Burnt a wee bit faster than I would normally expect, but I think that's because the rock sizes were generally smaller than the Hayes I had last year. But had a good fire running from 4pm to midnight and the ash content this morning was probably lower than what I was getting last year.

All up, really happy with the product and hope the whole tonne is consistent as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭bleaks

Big thumbs up for Greers. Excellent value & customer service. For info, they will allow you get a half tonne of coal & fill the rest of the pallet with briquettes/logs etc. Should hopefully be enough to get me through the winter. The 20kg bags are the job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrBumBum

Sorry guys, I'd assume this is a question that you've seen many times before but here goes.

Looking for recommendations for stove coal. Heat is the main thing I'm after. Also if you could say where you buy it it would help.

I've been burning turf for years ( so my coal knowledge is limited) and have recently moved to a place with a smaller stove so think coal may be the way to go.

Any discussions I've found on the subject are a few years old so I don't even know if the products mentioned are still available in Eamonn Ryan land.

I had always thought anthracite burns hottest, found something called Calio Magiglo, pet cokes, etc so confused 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I find ovoids great for heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Just burned my first bit of good Protestant real coal from the brethren of Greer Lisburn

fine stuff.

Small stove here and ovoids from easyglow are where I go now, I used to use supertherm but it went stupidly expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I still use supertherm and have given up any hope of getting a ton at a decent price, best I've ever used.

supervalu still selling this at 22 for a 20kg bag which is kinda shocking to be fair (best price near me is 4 for 60)

Torn between the ovoids and the ecoglow green bag

small stove but small fires for me, don't like a lot of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrBumBum

Thanks so far lads. I probably should have mentioned its a stanley erin with back boiler, my preference for heat is to keep the rads going after heating them up with oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I’ve a big stove so probably the opposite of what you want , but the way I run it it’s, some sticks on first with some fire lighters , and get it going, then a bucket off coal and stick the oil heating on for 30 minutes . This means you are getting the rads hotter quicker. About 3 hours later I’d thrown a couple of hard wood logs on and a small bit of turf if I have it and that’s still going at 12 at night . I’d usually light the fire around 3pm and that heats the whole house with the back boiler.

The house the following day is still warm and plenty of warm water too. Been using ovoids since I got it and had no issues really.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Anyone buy from Coal Warehouse recently? They were always mentioned here but recently there does not seem to be any updates at all.I did buy from them a couple of yrs ago...ovoids..and could not complain about the product.Infact the whole process from start to finish and the ovoid itself were spot on.I can't find a recent price list from them,just wonder if they are still doing business. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Bought from them as part of the bulk buy thread,100%from them,no complaints on the coal either

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sheedy234

I bought from Greers today I went with 1/2 ton of ovoids and 1/2 ton of premium Columbian doubles 502 sterling delivered. Full ton of ovoids is 440 sterling delivered.

I will have them by end of the week ,will post on quality .

Are the Colombian 🇨🇴 doubles smokeless?

or the real deal

?

thanks,’

thinking of ordering more , and maybe including doubles.

• Advertisement

Colombian doubles are a traditional coal not smokeless

I’m half tempted with this myself even though I’ve over a ton of fuel

Thanks

I’ve only a half

so might persuade the bro to go again for a tonne of doubles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am so pleased with CoalDirect. The best fuel - Ecostove, good price 625 euro delivered & delivery the next day. Seamus is really helpful.

Does it leave much ash?

got stuff last year and God almighty turned into a serious amount of ash

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I've a big stove as well with back boiler, 30kw, 23 to water and 7 to the room.

What coal are you using for it?

Was going to try glovoids from Hayes up north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Lancashire-lad

Hi please may I ask you to do a short review of the Glo thermal you brought

Are you using it on a stove or open fire?

What are the ash levels

Does it burn fast or slow.

Does it slumber well overnight

Thanks

Advertisement