Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 justlikebefore

Hey everyone, in our location, there is only steady vm connection, others offer 24 mb connection or 5g modems.

Our 45 euro deal for 500mbps broadband ends on 27 October and I want to continue with VM. We have also mobile accounts that we pay more than we supposed to ( 25 euro each). New price will be 70 euro per month for 500mb.

What are my options? ( current account is on my wife's name)

Close the current contract when its finished, then transfer it to my name to get new account deal ( 39 euro per month for 500mb) ( is this an option?)

OR

Negotiate new deal before 27 oct ?

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭chonix

if you're in VM; call and ask for loyalty discount because you're thinking to switch to Eir/Sky at the end of the contract.

Or: call for cancellation; ask for your account manager and tell them you're going to switch to Eir/Sky because their prices are more appealing. Note you have a period of a month to cancel (because your deal expires on Oct 27th; I'd suggest to do it asap). And be a bit coy telling them there seems not to be somewhat of a 'loyalty discount' or so and inflation hurts a bit on your pocket (which, is a true statement tbh).

Wishing you the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Sounds like a great deal. Is that the new Play TV service?

We got 9 month half price ( 35 euro) and 3 month full price ( 70 month) , averaging at 43,75 euro. We also switched our sim card deal, 20 euro full package and 15 euro limited call minutes/sms with unlimited data. Setting up different name could have been better price but we didnt want to hassle that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭DT2016

Eir are €35 for 500mb a month, Virgin are €40 and Sky is €30. I’m on hold now as my contract is nearly up and I’m paying €75 a month for internet. I’m simply gonna ask them to match Sky or I’m gone. All of the above is a 12 month contract. Offer is obviously for new customers but I’ve been with Virgin for 7 years now. I always say “look I like Virgin I don’t wanna leave but can you match or come close to the competition and we can both get of the phone” I always get the same deal and yourself but I want €30 a month for 12 months I’d settle for €40.

• Advertisement

It's not a bad deal; but considering you've moved your mobiles to them; they should've offered you a better package. But its ok!

I was the same here. VM user for about 6 years. I wouldnt go for angry route but, you know the "hey inflation and things" discourse. They wont be able to match 100% sky but ask them to direct to either loyalty team or account manager "cause it doesnt make sense to get new customers if loyal ones are going away... and wont get new ones as sky/eir are offering fibre for half of what you're paying now".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Have Vodafone FTTH (via OpenEir) at the moment. Contract is up next month.

What's the best option at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

VF just couldn’t match eir after being with them 7/8 years,

found their CC absolutely brilliant,

but money talks

and the 5G all u can eat data etc,

VF were blown out of the water,

we’ve 2 mobile sim free 30 day rolling contracts aswell,

so we’ve a saving of e30 each month

( vf PAYG was e20 each)

I think both of you are right but we dont have any other connection available in our house other than virgin media. Others shows 24mb or 5g ( I wont and dont want to rely on wireless connection for WFH and gaming of course). I know that I could have hassled my way and maybe others should too but my wife didnt want to hassle that much and settled the situtation for me once in for all 😀 1 year ago there was 10 euro per month sim cards everywhere, now seemslike they all have gone up. I didnt want to switch into different sim provider since I have been using their eu roaming

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭DT2016

Ended up settling for €55 a month for 12 months on a 12 month contract. I’m happy with that. €40 is only new customers and when I was cancelling. I’d have to get new box etc and don’t want to change WiFi codes etc. €50 a month nearly I didn’t loose but I didn’t win either. Lets call it a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

But you don't need to "cancel".

You cancel first time, and there is a cooldown period of 1 month. Then you can re-activate in the said period if you want. I mean, I was out of contract and I did that. I cancelled first time (I was supposed to move to eir; turns our... post safety hazard issue) then ringed them that I wouldn't be cancelling; that they could leave as is. Few days later I called to cancel again.... cooldown period... rinse and repeat.

We had that offer too. As soon as we said no , we are not accepting that and we want to cancel, lady on the phone keep sweeting the deal, but we were not satisfied, we wanted them to match or get close to 39 euro per month new comer deal. Lady said no but, she suggested that half price for 9 month deal, and we said okey. I don't know should i go with 1gb or 2gb package too. just to experience it 😀

I had to cancel it to get a new account in my name. I didn't get it what you are going to achieve with cooling off period re-activation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I heard an ad on the radio a few weeks ago from Vodafone saying that fiber was €40 per month and wouldnt go up at the end of your contract.

Is that still available. Its a total pain switching every year, but has to be done. Id rather not though, but thats up to the providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Yes but remember you'll get caught with the annual CPI increase so you'll need to change sometime.

VF won’t go up for at least 2 years they told me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭Nollog

this is how they get around that.

Some fun points:

1. You cant cancel because of it, as its an expected increase.

2. If cpi is negative you still get an increase of 0% + the 3% standard for them "upgrading their network"

3. You can knock the price back by calling them every year to sign a new contract with a new minimum term.

I’m signed up with eir

connecting tomorrow,

but am bloody dreading dealing with their CC,

was absolutely the pits when last with them,

but can’t whack their price n service

PS- VF customer care I found to be brilliant.

VF CC always just let me leave without offering anything, like they dont want a customer who pays every month fully on time or something.

Yes I got the same impression

put me out a bit tbh

reminds me of the annual swings n roundabouts with the car insurance companies annually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Left Eir at the end of March when my contract expired and moved to a new provider. Eir issued a credit note for €20 odd the following month. I have since then been trying to get them to refund the credit. Eventually yesterday I got a call from them a shouty git who kept trying to talk over me like Mary Lou Mc Donald does in the Dail from time to time. He claimed I was not due a refund as I hadn't given them 30 days notice of my intention to switch provider per their terms and conditions. To which I answered given the contract had expired there is no way I would be bound by any of their terms and conditions. He kept rabbiting on. I demand the refund get processed and asked him to put me through to their complaints department so i could start the process of complaining them to the regulator. I was put on hold for about 10 minutes and the call dropped. A few moments later an efficient gentleman called back to confirm that my refund was going to be processed. No mention of the other guys 30 days notice crap. Not in the mood to take anything at face value fro these clowns any longer I requested him to put the details in an email which he did.

Time will tell on the refund but Eir are something else.

I agree

but finances pushed me back to the feckers

Vodafone won't refund my remaining credit to a non-irish iban, i thought we were still in the EU.

My revolut is IE so hopefully it gets sorted this week. Partly my fault for not checking my mails from them since i chased them up last month.

Create a rumpus on VF x( Twitter)

post it publicly

I did a few times, they’ll reply quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Romero

Hi all spent the last 24 months with Eir 1GB Fibre package Have not had an issue with them other then the cost creeping up from the original 49.99 per month to now being 65 euros a month thanks to their annual increase. My contract is up with them on the 9th of November, I'm thinking of switching to Pure for a similar package via Bonkers for 40 Euros a month, anyone get any joy with the retention team in Eir giving a better deal for exisiting customers or should I just move.

Also it states you need to give them 30 days notice if leaving not sure if I can do this now before ordering from Pure or do I have to wait until the contract finishes next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭rhinosaurious

they usually always bring the price down in retentions, definitely give it a shot.. worked for me the past 5 years haven't had to move

I will do but they still going to screw you on the annual increase and that is not based on the discounted rate you get its always based on their non-discounted rates. Also the no anythng landline phone calls annoy me. I'll see what they say. Any advice when cancelling with the, I take it they should email you also any delays in switching over providers as need it for work so will plan for overlap end up paying for overlap but better to be safe then sorry.

Ref eir it surely didn’t go up to e64 solely based on annual price hike?

I just signed up with the whures

Hmm bit of a conundrum got Eir down €40.97 for another 12 months so kind of agreed to that deal obviously there will still be an increase next April that could be 5 euros or could be 10 euros they don't know. Got a call back from Pure who said it's their deal €40 for the year no planned increase and if there is you can move. But if I ring Eir tomorrow and back out and just want to go with this new deal that they won't cut me off immediately that is the worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭rhinosaurious

eir might be able to price match it, try that first, saves you the hassle of switching. But yeah they usually cut you off within 24 hours, mostly less. are you sure you’re not in a contract with eir now though as you agreed to a new deal?

Advertisement