Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And the state gifts more to dogs than it does youth football

That's farcical. So Greece get nothing for outplaying Ireland home and away!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

But you'd also need a time machine as the question relates to the past. Some people are finding it very difficult to admit they got it very wrong on their Kenny judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kav_Piero

That fact that we needed a win tonight to stop Gibraltar going level on points with us with one game to go in a qualifying group is as bad as it gets really.

Went through the underage Irish system myself and ending up walking away from the game all together in my mid 20’s, not one bit surprised we’ve ended up were we are now. A whole generation lost due a lack of any quality coaching or forward thinking, no one ever on the same page. Might be different now but the level of politics involved in underage football when I was playing was an absolute disgrace when I think about it now, DDSL and Kennedy cup squads already picked based on a what club a player played for or players picked because the mangers were paly with fathers of the sons etc before trials even took place.

Anyway there’s no defence for Kenny at this stage but I struggle to see anyone coming in and getting us competing again quickly.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Gusser09

A win. Nothing else to take from it. Means little or nothing.

Just apathy and pain for the next while now.

Whats the betting say about next manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah it is cruel. It all comes down to League of Nations rankings.

Greece need to finish 2nd to qualify. We actually dont want to win v Netherlands to ensure they finish 2nd ... a remote possibility I know.

I switched over to the Dutch game as both teams had qualification at stake.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Madly celebrating a goal against Gibraltar in a dead rubber after we've been knocked out of qualifying with losses against every proper team we've faced and had our ranking continue to skydive. You'd think we'd won the World Cup.

Bizarre behaviour, but all is right in the world because apparently some unnamed Championship winger who's too shite to play for England is thinking of declaring for us so the freaks on YBIG Forum are in the process of jizzing their collective pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mascher8933

Correct it just shows how useless the FAI are that the greyhound lobby can get more money from the Govt

People need to wake up and see where the real problem is, I know it is rolled out alot but it is true, the LOI could be such a strong league if people actually supported it instead of giving their money to Premier League clubs who dont care about them

• Advertisement

Ye know it's a strange and weird type of feeling when this Ireland team even manage to win a game versus nobodies. It shifts from "kenny is gone" to " well maybe not".

Not for me anyway. That's from his fans who believe he can do no wrong and he isn't to blame for this team failing so badly.

Anyway can we move on to selecting the next manager? You'd assume the FAI already have a shortlist and they aren't thinking about pulling an unacceptable stroke like leaving this guy in charge for another campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

he was done after greece away. everything after that was irrelevant. get the next two games done then spend some time mulling over a new man for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is it true we have to lose to Holland away to get a play off

I think that scenario was more needed had the Dutch not won last night.

I think we just need the Dutch to come 2nd. After the Dutch win last night against Greece, they just need to do better than Greece from their remaining two games as both have 12 points.

Greece play France on the 21st November, and the Dutch play us next 18th and Gibraltar on the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

And Kenny's spell is going to do more reputational damage to the LOI as his poor job is just confirmation bias of the Ireland fans who already look down on the LOI.

It'll be a long time now before another LOI man is given a shot, which is a shame, especially as the LOI becomes more important for developing young players in a post-Brexit world.

But Kenny hasn't been good enough. He's got a fair crack of the whip and I like that he's trying to get us to play decent football and trying to build something long-term but the results aren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't know about that no LOI manager getting the nod. Isn't Duffer up among the favourites for the role if/when Kenny goes?

If so, it'll be because it's a lot cheaper than getting someone else in and/or because of Duff's connections.

There are other current LOI managers with better CVs than Duff but after the Kenny spell, the majority of Ireland fans won't want another LOI manager. It'd make even less sense to go for one whose record is less impressive than Kenny's.

I'd highly doubt that. He won't get it and nor should he.

We need to go for a manager who won't try and get a group of players to win matches in a system they cannot play.

The minimum requirement will be to be in the reckoning for a playoff coming into the last two games of the group. The players are good enough to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

There’s no point in talking about play offs while Kenny remains in charge. His record in competitive games when something is at stake is absolutely abysmal.

There is of chance of a playoff.

• Advertisement

I've been reading more about it and it's a slim one...

We'd need some miraculous results in other groups in order to sneak in.

We'd need Albania or Slovakia to not qualify automatically.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Be patient lads. Stephen will get it right in the next campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Ahh jaysus, is he not gone yet

• I hear he's blaming The Championship for his abysmal time as manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

After Kenny’s reign there is no point talking about qualification or playoffs for the next 4-6 years, it will take some work to build a team and get them playing after what kenny has done

Yeah I'm unsubscribing to this thread. It's over.

It just seems to be a painful long goodbye. Everyone knows his goose is cooked. We know it, The players know it, LOI fanmen know it and the dogs on the street know it. Pay him off and out someone in interim charge who won't disgrace us any more than Kenny has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mascher8933

Can people actually acknowledge the real problem, then things can move forward.

Irish football is on its knees and have no players coming through (Ferguson is a total exception). If you think it is bad now, in 5 years time it could be worse and even the best manager in the world would do well to get Ireland to 3rd in a qualfying group. Add to that, the FAI has no money, so they will either be looking at a league one standard manager or someone who has retired and will come out of retirement for a handy gig (Steve Bruce)

The future is bleak and unless people put their energies into the real problem instead of the superficial "manager is the problem" then Ireland will keep descending into the lower depths of European football

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

You know we... picked up 6 points in the group... France and The Netherlands are... you know... huge teams. Superstars like Mbappe. We conceded.... you know... three times in two games against France.... pushed Netherlands all the way... Greece have you know.... they don't play 46 league games a season.... twice a week... we were missing Callum O'Dowda and Seamus Coleman and Will Keane.... you know.... they're big misses. O'Dowda can play several positions, Keane is a striker.... you know.... players in Greece are less likely to get hamstring injuries.... and can I just say Evan looked fantastic in the new jersey... you know.... we played good on the transitions and the diagonals. I.... know I can.... you know.... take the team forward. We.... still... have the opportunity of the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Its been disappointing but this is needlessly melodramatic.

You are vastly over-estimating the influence of an international manager if you think that a week every two month for two or three years is going to set a player back four to six years.

For what it's worth, I don't think Kenny was regressive. He tried to get the players playing a style of football that didn't suit them. He should have adapted and been more pragmatic but its not like he was training them poorly or coaching them in antiquated methods. As far as I can recall, he hasn't had major fallings out with players so its not like they are traumatised from playing under him.

The players will go back to their day-to-day regime at their clubs and when a new manager comes in for the national team, they'll get a new philosophy and a new approach and they'll forget about Stephen Kenny. And the long-term issues in Irish football, such as a struggling national league, poor in-country youth development, the bankrupted national association and an over-reliance on foreign systems, will continue to be ignored.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement