Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The OP was written on Saturday afternoon. This is pure revisionism again.

The OP also made another post on the opening page:

This is the biggest game in Irish rugby history. 

We are for the first time undeniably on a level playing field with the best teams in the world. Plucky excuses are for former Irish teams, not for this one.

Were in form, we've come fully loaded with a cohort of genuinely world class players and we might have the best coach currently plying their trade in the game.

Honestly, if every Irish player and every Irish supporter isn't up for this with the biggest, thickest 'come the **** at me bro' head on them then were in entirely the wrong sport.

Believe.

This is also spot on, especially the part about plucky excuses being beneath this current team. But yet, here we are, drowning in plucky excuses.

I think maybe where you're going wrong is in thinking the IRFU give a crap what me or you think, perhaps this is why you feel compelled to offer up a defence to any criticism whatsoever of the team, as if they're going to be reading this and need you to look after them.

Ireland's line out has subpar for a while now, of course it would only be natural to try and understand if it's a coaching issue. I am sure that will be looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

There can be no excuses

The better team won

It happens

it’s just that it happened yet again

If the game was played another 8 times either team could win

Its all on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Of all the spin you have tried in this thread, your tortured use of "form" must rank near the top.

I'd ask just what on earth you think form actually is, but I think you would get too much pleasure out of attempting to revise the definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This is the biggest game in Irish rugby history. 

We are for the first time undeniably on a level playing field with the best teams in the world. Plucky excuses are for former Irish teams, not for this one.

Were in form, we've come fully loaded with a cohort of genuinely world class players and we might have the best coach currently plying their trade in the game.

Honestly, if every Irish player and every Irish supporter isn't up for this with the biggest, thickest 'come the **** at me bro' head on them then were in entirely the wrong sport.

Believe.

You didn't fully take on board the bolded bit, did you Awec?

And I am not making excuses, I know why we lost. That's right Awec, we LOST. To a better team on the night in a battle that was always going to be on a level playing field.

Your posting has a real bang of throwing toys out of the pram to be honest./

• Advertisement

"The better team won" is accurate but lacks context.

"The team that played closer to their potential won" is a more accurate description of Saturday night.

Explain what you mean by 'tortured'?

All match thread OP's assess the form of the teams in the game.

Reminds me of that Onion article.

"It's just unlucky" says the team that this keeps happening to.

I'm not saying they're immune to criticism. I just don't understand how you can't understand that performance can vary in the very best teams. They're not a machine. Take the opposition into account, the occasion.

I'm asking this genuinely and for genuine reasons. Have you played sport? And to what level? And before you say oh that's irrelevant, it's not. Your arguments remind me of people who may follow sport a lot but don't know what it's like to be on the pitch under severe pressure, before, during and after. You seem like a fella who says, this is the form, these are the stats but on a human level haven't an iota what can go wrong.

I've played inter county GAA, I've coached a lot. That's my background. I know what goes wrong on either side of the line in my sport. If I was Andy Farrell I'd be going through every miniscule part of everything to do with the WC. From player time management to all the technical aspects. But in managing players you have to be skilled. All those lads gave everything and are beating themselves up. You don't offer support and you drive them to bad form with club and country, depression etc.

When a team gives their all, I'll back them. And work on the inadequacies and errors behind closed doors.

In a game between equals that is what invariably happens. Unless it goes to a kicking contest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That latter statement would apply to many a knockout cup match. One team has to eliminate the other - it's almost inevitable with the stakes being so high that one side might handle the challenge better than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

NZ recent form wasn't as bad as some people think. 3/3 in the rugby Championship including a 35-20 win over South Africa for eventual silverware that has been overshadowed by a friendly.

But more importantly, a good chunk of this team were playing in 2015. Heck, Whitelock was playing in 2011. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

It might apply to many but it definitely applied to ours.

Again, if Ireland had played to our potential and still lost nobody could complain. "That's sport" etc would be valid.

We didn't play to our potential in the biggest game in our history, it's totally valid to criticise this fact and not accept shrugging it off as if it's some minor thing.

It a bizarre take.

It's almost as if some posters thought NZ should remain passive and only play to the form they had coming into the game.

'How dare you raise your game/play better!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think the "bottled" phrase is quite emotive and a bit harsh. Did Ireland play to their potential: no. Did the way New Zealand played contribute to that: unquestionably so. And yet, it was still a narrow win.

I can't see it as bottling it for the team to underperform against such quality opposition. Bottling it would be South Africa losing their semi to England or New Zealand going out to Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

I think the irfu need to plan the development of these young men to maximise potential. It's pointless keeping them at Leinster for years on years getting limited URC action. Ulster need an influx of talent and possibly get rid of a few dead woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

There is a slightly circular logic to choking. "We are much better and therefore we choked - but you need to ignore the fact that maybe we weren't as good as we thought based on the evidence of the game"

Careful now, you might get caught having to explain why Ireland didn't play to their form either.

One of the regrets not making a final is seeing how we would have fared against SA again if they made it past ENG

They went up in quality about 20/30% to beat France IMO

There are very few posts here saying, 'I hope the players are ok', 'Jesus it's tough on those lads putting 4 years into the effort' etc.

No we're in the business of selfish fan reflected glory. A symptom of our times.

• Advertisement

The IRFU needs to isolate the young lads away from the "Oh well, that's unlucky, pat on the back, it was just a bad draw" crowd. That's the mentality that leaves them as also rans.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Yeh, get them together with the 'you are entitled to this' go get it' 'nobody is going to stand in your way' crowd,.

😁😁

Do what any professional outfit does, analyse their game fairly, criticise if it is warranted, and teach them that they can always do better and to never take something for granted and believe in the hype or random people on the net.

Do you think France stepped up? They wouldn't play as loosely again in the opening half if they had that game again.

Exactly, I think you might finally be cottoning on. We stepped up and it just wasn't enough.

We'll never know if we could have matched them in a second game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Some a the guff about us accepting losing is farcical. Do folks really believe the team and all that goes into producing world class rugby players have this “we did our best” mentality? The players are intense machines who play to win. The “we did our best” brigade is far more from the begrudgers and those who use it as a stick to beat with.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

In fairness to the irfu, they have created the most successful sporting dynasty you will likely see come from this wee island, so hats off to them. Ireland just aren't that good at sport in general.

• Advertisement

When you compare it to the RU's around us, they are light years ahead.

Advertisement