Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭roverjoyce

No they planned to peak for a quarter final whilst Ireland peaked in the group stages again,

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I haven't seen much gloating/mocking from outside of Ireland, in large part because it was a good game and a close result.

Ireland were second-best in many areas in the game (lineout, scrum, backrow, breakdown) yet still could've won, which shows their quality as a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nobody said anything about petulant or toys except you. Consider that for a moment.

Andy Farrell strikes me as a very rational person, so to repeat myself, he may simply feel that England have a better shot at the ultimate goal than Ireland do.

Hardly a controversial thought to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ireland isn't a laughing stock

Only tier one nation to have never got past the quarter finals. Yeah we are

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sounds clever and philosophical, but really is nonsense!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Good spot!!! No idea how it makes us a laughing stock. Lot more to look into regarding that stat..

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You aren't even self aware enough to realise the implications of what you type. You came out with this:

He teed it up and the players left it behind them.

In other words his good work was undone and the players were to blame for leaving it behind.

It is petulant, not to mention childish, to blame the players in a team sport that involves the skills of many including the coach. And Farrell wouldn't blame the players because he is a pro and is not childish & petulant.

He is entitled to go where he wants and he'll be given credit for what he has done here like Schmidt before him.

There'll be plenty laughing at those who thought we had some kind of entitlement to win it, or just had to turn up to claim the prize. There always is and I would be laughing at those opposing supporters if they did the same.

Not much laughing at those who were at the coalface trying to win it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

thought we had some kind of entitlement to win it, or just had to turn up to claim the prize.

This is completely incorrect and absolutely nobody has suggested this at any point in this thread. This is an entirely disingenuous take on what is being said, absolutely warping reality.

There is a huge difference between "Ireland just had to turn up to win" and "Ireland didn't play their best, which is very frustrating given the occasion, and this contributed to the defeat".

This thread is pushing a narrative that Ireland gave it their all, it was a 50/50 and we were just beaten on the day. This is not reality, this is revisionism. Ireland did not give it their all, Ireland were not playing their best. Ireland's performance was not terrible, but it wasn't amazing either. The team that played closer to their potential won, the team that didn't play to their potential lost.

Yes, Ireland may still have lost if they had put in the performance they were capable of, but at least in this scenario you can genuinely say we left nothing behind us out there. In this scenario, nobody could have any real complaints. This is absolutely not what happened though, that result absolutely comes with what-ifs, if-onlys, how-did-he-miss-that questions and comments.

Being frustrated at how we lost that game is entirely fair, it's entirely legitimate. Trying to shrug it off as "just sport" is IMO incredibly small time and a really weak response to what could have been.

I am aware enough to know your schtik, and your transparent ploy to change what was said.

You do not get to put words in my mouth, not when your words are so meritless.

I never once said anything about blame, petulance or childishness. Not once, and damn sure you cannot quote me doing so. This is all about you making things up.

I did say Ireland underperformed when it mattered though. Noticeable that you don't want to talk about that, since it shows you up quite a bit.

• Advertisement

This would be a valid discussion if 2 posters weren't so intent on winning a fight that they invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

thers no doubt Ireland gave ther all , wasnt a lack of effort , but some players like Van def Flier, Furlong looked less than 100% (over used/ not rested properly) but they still gave 100% .

I said before game the nerves must have been unreal , you would not be human if not affected , perhaps thats why Dorris too was not at 100% - the magnitude of the game , which was bigger for Ireland given we never won a knockout game, and NZ have 3 World cups already, though they too suffered for a period with the cut throat knockout rugby.

You said:

He teed it up and the players left it behind them.

Now you can't even own what you said in black and white.

They left 'it' behind them is blame in anybody's book.

Weasel words now trying to get people removed. Lovely.

Then you invent a notion that I never discussed underperforming. They didn't win, they underperformed for a variety of reasons and in a variety of positions. They also played incredibly well in a variety of positions and a variety of reasons. They are all there in my postings

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Piskin

They gave all they had to give on the day.

Do you think if they had something that would have won they game that day that they would hold it back?

Yes on another day they may have had something else to give but that was another day, another set of circumstances, another team etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, I agree with this. We've had a few games in the past year where we weren't great but did enough to win. Scotland and England in the 6N come to mind, Samoa too. Here it was a bit of that and coming up against a team waiting in the long grass who were insanely highly motivated and with a coaching team who really did there homework on us. Managing to put Porter and the ref in the position they did on the scrum is just hat tip stuff. that's turning their own weakness into a strength. The line break by Mounga for Jordan's try was exquisite and one of those insights into opposition weakness/behaviour that Joe is known for, same could be said for the chips that BB and Savea recovered. I'm not sure we came with a tailored plan for them in the same way. We went out to play our game and didn't play it to the very best of our ability. Murray's crazy effort to wrap up Barrett and prevent him competing was just a brain fart of the highest order from one of our most experienced and normally composed players, Doris took his eye off a restart catch, thou it was a brilliantly placed kick and we were not positioned properly, and Johnny's mad chip ahead, all uncharacteristic errors. We were masters of our own downfall in that respect, we made a few mistakes while they didn't make as many.

He wasn't at the races mentally and was knackered at half-time.

I wouldn't argue with that except to add all the good stuff we did too and the huge resilience and hard work we showed to stay in it.

NZ prevailed on the day.

The characterising of our effort as bottling or running around like headless chickens is what I object to.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

No we are not a laughing stock, we just have a few people on a forum who like to pretend to everyone they know better and are high achievers who would never accept a defeat or anything short of a win in their lives (we all know they have). We lost but we left everything on the pitch, we just didn't click as well as we can probally because they may have actually been better.

Anymore 'headless chickens' holding out 20 phases of attack yarns? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Can't agree with this idea at all. What's your quantifiable basis for saying they didn't give their all? The players were absolutely shattered by the end. To say they didn't perform to a high level is just not accurate. We didn't capitalize on every scoring opportunity, but no team does. We got held up 3 times vs France in the 6Ns, but don't think anyone would claim we didn't perform to our potential.

We performed better than NZ imo. We broke their line more frequently, our defense styflied them consistently. If we had won, NZ would be lamenting their poor defense, their inability to stop our maul, and the failure of their playmakers to find a way through our defense. One meaty Barrett thigh is the difference.

Headless chickens in the mistakes we made in the first quarter the other night. The mistakes & decision by individual players and management throughout the game was headless in truth.

Another poster changing what he said.

You said they were running around like headless chickens in the first quarter.

I see that has been refined now since it was pointed out to you that we repelled a 20 phase attack after 5 minutes.

If you know anything at all about rugby you will know headless chickens can't do that.

You saw or heard about a few mistakes and went to Exaggeration town on the express bus.

Headless chickens in the first quarter with the mistakes made. Repelled a 20 phase attack yet went down 13-0 in the first quarter.

No xaggeration in that we were awful in the lineouts, scrummage, breakdowns, Sexton having brainfarts, players making wrong decisions,

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

I don't think anyone disagrees with what you said but when you get a bunch of disengenious crap fliggers on this thread over the past 3 days, the basis of a genuine match review and discussion is lost.

• Advertisement

😁😁 NZ 330 - Headless Chickens 0 HT

Exaggerating your exaggeration, this is how half time would have looked.

Advertisement