Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Roast House has closed down. They posted a message on their facebook page this evening. Sad times...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Gutted, I've been going there for 11 years and IMHO no place in town came close for quality and consistency for daytime eating. Hopefully they have something else in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Devastating. Likewise regular visitors there for 8+ years. The best scones and coffee around.

Hoping they're still active in some aspects and perhaps roasting and selling beans somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Sorry to see it go, but I'm not sure the quality was as good in recent years. Increased competition from the likes of Wilde, Yummy, and even The Bookshelf further out was probably a factor too. FWIW I think the food in all of those was/is better than The Roast House. And I'm not sure the owner had the best manner either tbh. But still a loss to the town, a great location so hopefully someone comes along and it doesn't lie vacant.

I think Rustic Boowa is going to be our go-to place when we're in town now. Very nice environment, excellent pastries and coffee. I think their bread won the Dingle Taste Trail first place at the most recent Feile Bia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I'm hearing loads of good things about that place. It has won Taste awards and seemingly many of the HSE staff from the offices further up go there for their tea breaks/pastries etc. I must stop by it soon.

I'm also sorry to hear about the Roast House. Hopefully a similar set up operator takes over and it doesn't become another kebab/phone/vape/barber shop that seemingly are immune from all the costs/hiring/rates challenges that face other businesses...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

If I see another phone or vape shop I am going to scream! Why are so many able to open in one town??

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Well...if the rumours are to be believed about the phone repair shops..and this is across every town and city in UK and Ireland that is overrun by them...they are a front for something else...Its just not possible for them all to make a profit on just the service they supply...

I called into 3 of them with my mother's broken phone during the summer and they said they couldn't fix it. I then went into the Irish run Tech Neek on Castle Street and they fixed it no problem and were so friendly. You felt like you were in a genuine store offering a genuine service. If its not a simple battery or screen replacement or phone cover you're looking for, the other "shops" don't want to know...

I would well believe it! That and they change hands so often....!

The Museum won't be hosting the Christmas festive hall this year. Not sure why, but they posted up on their Facebook page today to say its not on this year. Such a shame, we went last year for the first time and it was lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

What I’ve heard is that he’s going to open a pizzeria in the new food court in Abbey car park.

Navo Café from Fenit is going to be another tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭TigerTim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Is that one of the businesses that hit in the headlines in Town for a particular reason a few weeks ago?

Sure is. Bit coincidental that they're closing now all of a sudden..

Is there a link to the stories you're talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

There was an article on front page of kerryman a few weeks back quoting guards, et aalas saying they have no ongoing investigations and the rumours were all lies.

I don't think it appropriate to be raising again

I'll say no more here as it's not fair, but ask around and you'll hear the rumours. Whether you believe them to be true or not is up to yourself. But there's no denying the timing of this closure is somewhat suspicious. I'll leave it at that

You mean the shop was a front for gelatine sword wielding umpa lumpas !😁

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭traleelad2

Disappointing to hear the museum won’t be running the Christmas hall this year.

Seems like it may have been taking out of the scope of the staff to run it from reading there post on social media.

Always a very positive event for the town.

There really needs to be people held accountable when things like this fall by the waste side. It’s a habit unfortunately Tralee Town is unable to shake!!!

• Advertisement

Ya I think it probably is and even more reason why this should be highlighted in the public domain!!

I really don’t understand what happens inbetween something being so successful and well received and then just being left to fizzle out or completely stop.

We went to the Festive hall for the first time last year and it was lovely! My son was only 6 and he loved it. We won't have many more years of these visits, so its a shame its no on. The one thing I found annoying about it was the booking system. You had to ring at a certain time and the phone was constantly busy, couldn't get through. I managed to get booked eventually but it was very messy.

There's a lovely looking Santa experience happening in Listowel at the Monorail. My son was there during the summer with the grandparents and had a ball. They are doing a Christmas themed one now, so I think we will book that one.

Its a shame when there's not much else happening in Tralee as CH don't do their Santa experience anymore and no parade. Last year was nice enough with the Elf trail around the town and my little boy liked it. Hopefully they can build on that this year.

The Christmas events in town are prob in jeopardy if there’s an issue with the council run museum experience.

Instead of building on things and growing them we let them shrink.

Probably due mainly to decreasing funding instead of increasing.

Siamsa look to be doing a santa experience

https://siamsatire.com/event/siamsa-na-nollag/

So a child is 18e , adult 10e. Family of 4 is 50 and family of 5 is 20e extra. Someone needs to go back to school. 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You could always have everybody wearing Pampers and all get in for nothing as children under 2. 😛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Where is the best place in North Kerry to get a Sunday roast? And cost if you know!

Advertisement