Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

On the topic of branding, I'm not sure that the New UK Aircoach service could be any more similar to the Irish option, same logo and same website design!

https://aircoach.travel/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I see that aircoach.co.uk has been registered by someone already, hence the .travel URL instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Looks a lot like political posturing to me to be honest, the Aircoach statement doesn't back up what the article says.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A Minister can’t interfere in a commercial licence application, nor can he direct the directors of a private bus company on what sort of service they deliver.

We had the same nonsense from Josepha Madigan and Neale Richmond trying to claim credit for the return of the Dublin Coach Dundrum to Airport service.

Pure politicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We'll see but he's obviously been given some sort of indication of a change coming.

No doubt will try and claim responsibility for any change, sure don't they always

Post edited by stephenjmcd on

Well that’s different from “working closely with the NTA” - that would be political interference!

Tourismo's back on the Cork to Dublin Aircoach route again now, no idea why they were not for the best part of a week.

Some updates on services to/from Dublin Airport

Aircoach

Kim Swan, former Director of Freight Sales at P&O Ferries has been appointed as the replacement for Dervla McKay who has now left the company for Go-Ahead Ireland. Kim has spent over 30 years in the freight business in Northern Ireland but is believed to have never worked in the road passenger transport sector.

I'm on record as saying that Aircoach could really have done with a sharp commercial mind who knew the market and the industry well. So personally I'm surprised by this appointment, however it is worth noting that current First Bus MD Jeanette Bell previously worked in P&O Ferries too and that is unlikely to be a co-incidence and is a strong reference. Lets see how things will go before we judge.

Meanwhile service cancellations continue to be an issue at Aircoach, which would suggest that the talk of expanding the Greystones service anytime soon is pie in the sky, unless they really want to risk the reliability of services further.

CityLink

Further details on the Castlebar route have now been released with an opening offer of £5 per single journey. Further details on www.citylink.ie

Dublin Express

Dublin Express are to extend their ticket trial with Irish Rail to further stations in the next while. Right now passengers are able to book a ticket from Cork to Dublin Airport which encompasses the train and the Dublin Express bus to Dublin Airport.

The company is also working on offering tickets for sale on board flights of most major airlines operating into Dublin City and/or as part of the booking process. There may well be discounts on purchasing your tickets this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Apologies for hijacking but is there any bus company that provides transport from Dublin Airport to the south of the city or even the city centre after midnight.

Aircoach don’t and i’m finding it very difficult to find anyone that does.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Aircoach 700 departs at 00:25 00:55 01:25 does it not? Or at least when it runs.

Thanks for reply but rang customer service and the last one leaves airport at 23:55.

nothing then till around 3 am.

Dublin Bus route 41 runs every 30 minutes throughout the night and will drop you to O'Connell Street or Lower Abbey Street.

That's not correct. The 700 operates at 00:25, 00:55 and 01:25 as per the other poster above. Look at their website and try and make a dummy booking and those times will come up. Whoever you spoke to isn't reading the timetable correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Read this the other day forgot to post it on here. This might come as a surprise to some on here.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0925/1407236-aircoach-returns-to-profits/

Thanks for reply.

I’ll get on to customer service again tomorrow and correct them.

👍😎

Doesn't tell the full story though as Last Passive Ltd t/a Aircoach that is referred to in that article is the ROI arm of the company which is the one that I believe all of the passenger booking revenue is attributed to but don't operate all of the services themselves.

The money spent on the acquisition of Airporter and the NI side of the operation's costs and salaries will be against First Northern Ireland Ltd who will not publish their accounts for the same period until the new year, therefore you need to look at both for the same period to make a full judgement.

I'll get on to customer service again tomorrow and correct them

At this point it's pretty clear that Aircoach are responding to customer enquiries at least on their reviews site, but perhaps elsewhere, using automated responses via ChatGPT rather than by human.

I'll leave you to make your mind up about what that says about them.

Post edited by devnull on

Dublin Airport Shuttles - Electric Vehicle Order Confirmed.

I can finally share that Dublin Airport / Aircoach are due to receive 24 Irizar ie Tram fully electric vehicles for Dublin Airport Shuttles starting in late 2024.

The ordered consists of 8 rigid vehicles and also 16 articulated vehicles, that will be the first of their type to be built for the right-hand drive market. As Dublin Airport is a launch customer, the deal has been kept under wraps for the last number of months with Irizar officially confirming the order today.

These vehicles will also feature an updated Siemens driveline which significantly improves energy efficiency and a 26% weight reduction compared to earlier drivetrains on left hand drive versions operating in other countries.

The vehicles are designed around opportunity charging but the new model for Dublin will allow a higher instlaled battery capacity with the rigids to have 512kW/h and the articulated versions to have 726kW/h.

The delivery of these vehicles will see off the remaining 15 year old Mercedes Citaro bendy buses be returned off lease to Evobus with the majority if not all of the longer length Volvo B8RLE MCV Evoras delivered early this year (which were only ever a temporary solution) transferring to First Bus operations in Great Britain once deliveries are complete.

Aircoach - Confirmation of New MD Kim Swan

Aircoach have confirmed the appointment of Kim Swan as their new MD, as previously reported on this thread. Kim joins from P&O Ferries in Northern Ireland and has spent much of her career in that industry I believe has not worked in the Bus and Coach industry before.

Aircoach, Ireland and Northern Ireland’s leading private bus and coach operator, is delighted to announce the appointment of Kim Swan as the new Managing Director.

Kim, who officially joined on September 11, brings over 30 years of leadership experience in customer and commercially focused roles across transport and logistics. Most recently, Kim was Interim Managing Director for P&O Ferries.

She joins Aircoach with a wealth of experience in leading change, building successful teams and developing trusted relationships with key stakeholders, including clients, regulators and trade bodies.

Kim Swan, Managing Director for Aircoach, said: “I’m absolutely delighted to be joining First Bus to lead the team at Aircoach. It’s clear to me the business has a solid foundation and is a great platform to deliver our sustainable growth ambition. 

"My priority is to get out and about in the business, meet teams face to face, listen and support new ideas and innovation and continue to transform and grow this brilliant business.”

Gary Hitchmough, Chief Growth Officer for First Bus (parent company of Aircoach), said: “We’re delighted to welcome Kim on board, she will be a safe pair of hands to lead the business forward with her vast experience in the transport sector. I look forward to her steering the business to further success as we continue to support our customers and communities in Ireland and Northern Ireland.”

Deleted

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

Spotted this in the news today

Good to see it extend to Connolly bookings soon. I assume one would still have to walk to Custom House Quay to avail of it, however.

• Advertisement

I think the words 'marriage of convivence' apply here in the same way that they did to GoBus and Bus Eireann with GoBe. This is clearly only a deal because they can't get run coach services on the corridor.

I would suspect if NX find a way to gain a coach license on intercity corridors they don't at the moment, suddenly their enthusiasm for supporting similar routes on the train will rather quickly evaporate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, while it is always good to see another option, if you were going from Cork to Dublin Airport it would be cheaper and faster to take GoBus/Aircoach all the way.

And Limerick/Galway even better with the Eir Eagle (Citylink) service that cuts out Dublin City and goes direct to the airport.

Actually now that I think of it, I'm surprised that DX or another operator hasn't applied for an Eir Eagle type license direct between Cork and Dublin Airport. And yes I know one or two of the Aircoach/GoBus services skip Dublin City in the middle of the night, but I mean all day.

BTW Those EV bendi-buses look great for the airport. It will be interesting to see how they go, perhaps even a bit of a demo for future BRT routes on some of the core corridors. Though 18m might be a bit short, 25m would be better on roads that could handle it.

It's strange no such tickets existed back when the Airlink was still in operation

It’s a positive development - I wouldn’t be that negative at all about this. Anything that encourages public transport use should be welcomed as a positive.

The fact that it is available from any station in the country served out of Heuston is great to see, and there is no way that any Intercity bus service that NX might launch is going to offer that.

I really think you’re being way too cynical about it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is on the Irish Rail website now. It is just an add-on under Extras, on the same page where you can add a bike or Red Cross Ukraine donation. Price appear to be the same as on the DX website, €8 single, €10 return.

So it is sort of like how you can add an airport coach transfer/hotel/etc. on Ryanair website while booking flights

It is handy, one less website to interact with, but I don't think it is really a big deal, no price reduction for booking both, Dublin Airport isn't in the booking drop downs, separate tickets, etc. Basically minimum integration and pretty poor value.

As an aside, the DX website and booking is probably one of the best, fastest and easiest I've used, with Apple Pay integration and all. I'd rather buy my Irish Rail tickets on the DX site, then the other way around.

So it doesn't let you book Dublin Airport as the arrival/departure station as I've seen in other places where the airport does not have a rail station but the ticket includes a bus transfer.

Yep, you can't select Dublin Airport. Instead you have to enter Dublin Heuston (or just Dublin), there is no Airport option, then on the next page select your seats and then finally on the page after that you come to the "Extras" page where you can add the Dublin Express add on.

Also I feel it isn't particularly obvious that you would be adding a coach to the airport. The title of the options are just "Single Dublin Express" or "Return Dublin Express", they don't mention the airport. The Airport is then only mentioned in the body of the text:

While we here on this forum know what Dublin Express is, most regular people wouldn't, I'd make it:

"Dublin Airport Transfer - Single - Dublin Express"

"Dublin Airport Transfer - Return - Dublin Express"

And I just noticed that they use the same picture of a coach for the Red Cross, donation! Lads couldn't find a Red Cross symbol or Ukrainian flag? And notice the Bike graphics uses a darker colour then the coach!

In fairness, Ryanair do make you jump through multiple pages before you an add the coach transfer too, though I do feel it stands out better there and is more obvious what it is:

I suppose a counter argument is that the Irish Rail site is more straight forward and less overwhelming then the Ryanair site.

Either way, it is a positive development, but relatively minor one, really just a bit of cross marketing.

Interestingly on that Aircoach page on Ryanair, you can actually buy tickets from Belfast to Dublin Airport with Aircoach, but weirdly not Cork.

I'd also say Dublin Express would prefer to have Aircoaches spot on the Ryanair website over Irish Rail.

Think about it what is the first thing you do when planning a trip? You normally go and book the airline tickets. Booking tickets to get to the airport is usually like the third or fourth thing you do. So if booking your airline tickets and it offers you the airport transfer at the same time, that is a good time to get it (for some). If DX had this spot on the Ryanair site, they could also offer connection to Belfast and any other future intercity destinations.

BTW If you select London Gatwick tab on Ryanair above you get offered National Express, DX's parent, on the Gatwick route.

BBTW The Aerlingus website seems to be down at the moment!!!!

It is certainly a positive development - but if they were for example running a coach service from Dublin Airport to Limerick, could you really see them being super keen to offer through fares to Dublin Airport on Irish Rail services from there for instance

Obviously it's a moot point right now as they haven't got the licenses, so makes total sense for passengers and National Express from a commercial point of view, but it'd make less so if they were essentially competing with a coach service where they'd get more of a fare, unless they are very clever with pricing and their agreement with Irish Rail in terms of how the money is split.

Dublin Express have allegedly done a deal with Ryanair, but the Aircoach contract still has a bit left to run. So I would expect to see that change in the future. Certainly I heard Rory Fitzgerald talk about it on the radio a while back that it was in the works.

Both of these things however once again show how it's very much men and women against boys and girls in terms of the commercial acumen of Dublin Express and Aircoach respectively in the Dublin to Dublin Airport transport market.

• Advertisement

Can you book the Dublin Express ticket if you're getting a train from Heuston (i.e. Airport -> Heuston -> Limerick)? Or is it just for trips with Heuston as the destination for now?

Advertisement