Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I won't touch any former Wisp due to how they all fought to stop the NBP to begin with.

Not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The most amusing part of the bottom of your post is no one did more to Stifle the NBP in this country and ring fence high speed Internet access to where they could roll out than EIR. And your a customer of there's.

They're the very definition of wanting to tie the business up for themselves at their own low cost.

Gas stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Totally agree with you which is why I am going to leave EIR also. Eir have enjoyed total monopolistic control, I'm with Eir because whenever I went with Sky or Vodafone I was getting 9 or 10mbps and they told me this was the max I could get on ADSL2+. With Eir they gave me 15.2mbps so I had to stick with them to max out my copper line. I'm paying €63.98/month now as I'm out of contract. If I tied in on a new contract with Eir the danger is I couldnt upgrade to NBI FTTH.

Realistically I'm probably a month or 2 away from getting connected as I'm on pre-order only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Nbi down all day in Newport. Saying it's affecting Westport, Castlebar and Newport areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Having an absolute nightmare with since I’ve had the Fibre installed through NBI with EIR. Was meant to be done on the 29th of September turned out there was no appointment made. Got one for the 13th of October and then I got a call last Monday to say they had an appointment for Tuesday and would I take it. I was delighted and said yes.

The KNC lad came out, installed it within 2 hours and said I should be live within a hour. 3 hours later, nothing , so rang EIR to me given the run around and it would be another 2 days before it went live .

Thursday it finally went live and the TV box arrived on Friday. Was grand for the weekend. Some rooms were getting 350mbb and some rooms were dropping out.

Monday at 11.30am the internet went down. Rang EIR and they got an appointment with KNC for today. He has just left and said it’s a network issue, and NBI need to resolve it. How long does this usually take ? Need the internet to work from home.

Had no issues what so ever when I had the 25mb internet from EIR .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

Not to distract but has anyone made use of the BCP's dotted around the country? Just curious as to what the procedure for connecting is... is it an open WiFi network or do you have to sign-up somewhere? Also, what speeds were you seeing on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Used one locally a few years ago, speed was absolute crap, never went back.

The procedure for connecting, open your WiFi connection, select the bcp connection, you will be requested to enter your mobile number, you will get a four digit authorisation code via SMS, enter this code on the access screen and you're online.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

.hu

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

FYI.....called the NBI.....It's the access providers responsibility.....

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Seems to be timeline updates in the NBI map. My area was Jan 25 - Dec 26, is now July 25 - Dec 25. I see other areas in Galway at least have been updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

just asking, what is the average time from placing a pre-order, going ready to connect, to getting an install date?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 viewer

From my earlier post this is my experience :

The connection estimate for years on the NBI site was Oct - Dec 2023.

Pre-Order - Aug 25

Ready to connect - 12 Sept

Install date arranged - 18 Sept

Installed - 09 Oct.

Just checked my area, survey completed, gone from Jan 25 - Dec 26 to Jan 26 - Dec 26, the very end of the rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Just checked my area. The exact same. 150m away people have full fibre. Pain in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Was originally Apr-Jun 2024, changed to available to preorder. I was just at the edge of one OLT location so presume they've just added my road into it maybe? Who's the best to go with for a preorder/how do I find out the go live date?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Think mine was jan25 Dec 26, its moved now to July 25 dec 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Oh Hello ... was previously Jan 2025-Dec 2026 ... now I'm January 2025 - June 2025

Ah shyte ... sorry to hear that!

Let's hope it doesn't fall over the cliff into 2027

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

What kind of a deal did people get from sky when they went live? Have tv with them already so going to give them a call today and see what offers they have. Out of contract also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

The neighbours.

Regulator Ofcom reports that by May 2026 UK could have

•  91% FTTP availability  (NI - 99%)
    • 76% with two or more gigabit capable* suppliers (NI - 90%)

*includes cable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I was convinced the black hole up the hills where I live was going to be one of the last connected and was certain it would be 2027 when it might happen.

Here's hoping you get it sooner. 🤞

As you know we're in the Newport DA but outside the village of Murroe, I assumed the Newport town hinterland would rollout sooner as it would be closer to the PoP but it's also 2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Deputy Ó Cuív hasn't given up on undersea cables for the NBP islands.

Éamon Ó Cuív (Galway West, Fianna Fail)392. To ask the Minister for Rural and Community Development whether her Department is willing to fund or co-fund the provision of an undersea fibre cable to each offshore island that is included in the National Broadband Plan, out of the dedicated islands fund available to her Department, as mainland to island fibre was not provided for in the National Broadband plan; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [45959/23]

Heather Humphreys (Cavan-Monaghan, Fine Gael) As the Deputy will be aware, responsibility for the National Broadband Plan rests with the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications (DECC). Any queries relating to the roll-out of the plan and specification of cables and connections should be directed to DECC.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kennyt

DP is now installed right outside my neighbours house.

Anticipated date of connection is still July 24 - Sept 24.

Does anyone know that timeline it took them to get connected after the DP was installed?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

There seems to be a lot of variation with people’s timelines depending on the area they are in and has slipped in some cases for whatever reason. In my case I was down for April-June 2024, DP was installed about a month ago, changed to available to preorder last week. I put in an preorder and have heard nothing since but according to NBI’s documents the available to preorder stage is from up to 90 days out from go live date up to 14 days before going live, at that point it is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

anyone hear from eir that they need to send an engineer to conduct a pre-install inspection and that an order is on hold until this inspection takes place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya think that would be standard enough incase they need a pole installed or to see if ducting is needed to bring it into your house etc..

Eir said I would need this done also. Sky haven't said anything yet but I assume when Circnet, KN or whoever it is calls about it they will need to come out for a check first.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mobius2021

We must live pretty close to each other so, I'm on the main Murroe to Newport road about 2km from the five crossroads.

Was disappointed to see that I had slipped from Jan 2025 to Dec 2026 to now it being sometime in 2026.

My parents on the Kerry/Limerick border had the same timelines but are now July to Dec 25. They're not even interested in taking fibre - they have a good 4G connection and reckon that's enough for what they use it for. Ah well.

• Advertisement

I'm at the other side of the village.

I'm assuming the fibre line will run via your road from the Newport exchange to serve the Murroe/Cappamore area. Your road might rollout sooner than my area.

Advertisement