Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Obviously playing to our best is shorthand for ‘winning’ for you. 

Er, no. I said I believe if we had played to our best we would win, but we could still have lost. Losing after giving it your absolute best is a different situation to what happened on Saturday.

We didn’t win, for you that is not playing to our best.

No again. I have never said that we didn't play our best because we didn't win. I have enumerated basic, uncharacteristic mistakes that show why we were not at our best, and these errors contributed to us not winning.

If we had avoided these basic, uncharacteristic errors we would probably have won that game. Not guaranteed, but probably.

I would not demean them by calling them chokers because teams with nothing to do with them also came up short.

I didn't call them chokers. Or bottlers. However, we did start slow, and we did make basic errors.

Chokers or bottlers is far too strong a term for what happened, however it does seem likely that we were affected by the occasion. This Ireland team have done more than enough to show that there is no real skill gap between them and the All Blacks. The difference in this game was mentality, come 9pm on Saturday night New Zealand were more mentally ready to do the job that needed to be done than we were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

All QF’s were affected by the occasion. There is nothing unusual in that. It produced as much good as it did bad play for us. Probably more good play if truth be known.

I don’t know how to produce this best play though unless it’s on a switch.

We have played games which won ugly and we have lost games were we played well. Saturday was a day with some ugly and some good but we lost.

Its not a curse or a jinx because it happened in a QF it can happen in any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭noc1980

We've become so conditioned to getting blown away in quarter finals that we consider this 4pt loss a success of sorts. The reality is this was a bang average All Black team that only back in August beat the worst Australia side ever by just 3 points. The next 2 good sides they played they lost to both, destroyed by South Africa and outclassed by France.

They were there for the taking. If we delivered a 9 out of 10 performance and lost to the better team you could stomach it but it was a 6 out of 10 at best. Dreadful lineout, passive at the breakdown, missed gimme kicks, poor decision making, lack of composure at critical moments... AND we still should have won. THAT's what it makes it a bottle job, we were nowhere near our best. If we performed like we did in the 17 games leading up to this one we'd be in a semi final.

It's not an attack on the players to call it what it is, I'm certain they know themselves that they underperformed and most will be at least entertaining the idea that the occasion got to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭TRC10

You've hit the nail on the head there. Too bad so many people want to bury their head in the sand. It's the same every time Leinster choke. "Small margins" "bounce of a ball" etc. Nobody wants to actually acknowledge that they failed to perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

There are levels to ‘not performing’ imo. I don’t think we played our best but it would also have been enough to beat NZ except at their very best which they hit for one game.

From that POV its hard to criticize. At the same time tho, its fine after any loss to dissect what went wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Kelleher's held up was a poor decision badly executed.

McCarthy's clearout on Barrett was a dreadful attempt from a bench player who should have been fresher.

These are two, unfortunately key points that were pretty good examples of Ireland making the kind of mistakes we normally don't make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Arguably we didnt play any worse against NZ than against South Africa three weeks previously. The single biggest diff in my view was Mack Hansen not being fully fit, and James Ryan. Not anything any of the players did wrong per se.

But they did perform.

That is a verifiable fact.

There are people here denying they had a sense of entitlement or who thought we only had to turn up. It may not have been expressed outright but it's all over posts.

They ignore that in games that we won there was a balance between the good and the bad, always variable.

'Playing our best' isn't some definable level and it is massively affected by what the result is.

I asked the question: what would we be saying today if that arm had not been there and we went on to win?

We would be saying this team is so good it can win ugly...we said it very recently when we struggled for a time against Samoa.

We wouldn't be focusing on the bad points of our performance, we'd be focussing on all the good things we did, our resilience would be triumphed. Aki would be a genius and Sexton would sit a top the pile because he masterminded the kicks and field position to get the pivotal lineouts etc etc etc.

Go review the aftermath of games we won ugly in to see that.

The fact is a balanced review of that game shows that we were a mixture of good and bad things, we were in a QF which was just as important for the opposition and for a host of reasons we didn't win a 50/50 match with high stakes.

There was no entitlement, we should only have won a game like that if we actually went out and won it. We didn't, again for a host of reasons.

Actual good teams don't throw the toys out, or throw the baby out with the bathwater. They go away, assess what happened, figure out what to do about the flaws and work to fix it.

Then like thousands of teams before them amid the disappointment and the hurt they keep going and try again.

Why? Because that's sport, the very essence of it, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There's probably an argument for that although I think some of our errors were more stark which were caused by a combination of nerves and tiredness. We probably got the rub more from the referee against SA with two huge scrum penalties and a free kick in the second half as well as riding our luck with the SA goal kicking.

Against SA, they made a couple of big linebreaks (thinking KLA fielding it over Lowe in the opening minutes and Snyman bursting past Beirne in the second half). If that's NZ, we're possibly looking at tries there and game over. Styles win fights and NZ play a brand of rugby that hurts us.

We just didn't make our moments count this time. And you can't do that if you want to win the RWC.

I was nervous before the game because NZ always score tries against us. It was going to be our defence stopping their ability to move the ball versus their pack stopping our ruck ball. Unfortunately, they got the better of both areas. It really does feel like one that got away though. They had the better of the ruck, scrum and line out and yet we were a held up ball from winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The held up ball was on 71 mins.

Plenty of time for NZ to come back at us. No guarantee it would have won us the game. I would think it very likely NZ would have been able to respond with at least a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The "didn't play to the best of their ability" is lazy, and trying to explain it by pointing out some errors across 80 minutes of top level sport against an ABs team who played very well doesn't cut it. Some here seem to have expected us to play absolute prefect rugby, and the fact we didn't (couldn't), it's now being used to slate the overall performance.

Match stats are interesting. I thought we lost more lineouts, this shows it was just 2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And as you mentioned: what is playing to their best ability? Not really definable.

Rugby media in this country really does the team or sport no favours with its sycophantic coverage.

Gordon Darcy in the IT this morning with the headline - "Ireland’s performance in New Zealand defeat one to be proud of"

Another article in the IT - "If the All Blacks win the Rugby World Cup, Ireland can claim a piece of it"

All of Gerry Thornleys articles since the game but I especially liked the bit - "Nobody died. A brilliant Irish team just lost a game of rugby and they died with their boots on." Christ almighty

RTE News last night - "The heroic defeat to New Zealand".

Some lad on Newstalk actually said that if we took out the 13 point start, we actually won the rest of the game by 9. OMG.

Well, it gets well-balanced out with a lot of the slagging of the team here by some delighted posters.

Again, nobody is talking about absolutely perfect rugby.

But some of our mistakes were absolutely terrible. Pure basic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Was the maul for Kelleher drive not the correct decision , we had previously got a penalty try from it . whenther it was lack of Kelleher execution of actually grounding , but Id probably see it as more brilliance from. Barrett - havnt re-watched !

• Advertisement

They go away, assess what happened, figure out what to do about the flaws and work to fix it.

I'm confused now by this sentence. You've spent 3 days now telling us nothing happened, there were no flaws, we gave it absolutely everything, Ireland played as well as they could possibly play and were just beaten by a better team.

Your synopsis of this game suggests there is absolutely nothing to assess or fix.

Yes, some mistakes bugged me, and cost us. But NZ made mistakes that cost them. That’s why we have scores. Remember, mistakes made against NZ, not Italy.

I said it right at start, to win we would need to be very very good, and disciplined. It was a 50/50 match no matter what odds there were and no matter what rankings there were.

NZ in a QF of a world cup will always be us having to have a grade A game.

Some Folks are searching too much to try diss the performance, because it’s what makes them happy.

The maul was fine, but it was breaking up and Murray was screaming for the ball. Barrett did well but there were a few kiwis there, don't think he was ever that likely to score. Should have either recycled before the line or given it out back.

our 22 efficiency was drastically worse than usual.

The clear out at the end was actually on Whitelock, not Barrett.

McCarthy came in and gave him a hug and just fell off. This would be understandable for a player who'd played the full game, who may be running on fumes, but McCarthy was fresh. Very weak attempt.

On the maul, I would need to see it again. Arguably Kelleher could have passed to Murray who was in a better position to score, would have been harder for Barrett to hold him up due to the angle. Kelleher got held up because he tried to run over the top of Barrett and all Barrett had to do was grab the ball and soak the tackle. But maybe that pass wasn't on.

Placating those they imbued with a sense of entitlement perhaps?

A lot of people who have only a peripheral interest in the game, who are there for the buzz of the win buy into that stuff. It sells papers. Some people (and I stress 'some') love that stuff. Not unusual in rugby or any other sport either.

Here is some of the NZ press, doing what we do too. Gushing, bigging up, and giving voice to expectations. Ho hum.

The New Zealand media were gushing in their praise of the All Blacks, and of the game in general. Said the Herald's Liam Napier: "Revenge is sweet for the All Blacks as they stride one step closer to their pursuit of cathartic World Cup redemption.

The 78,000 at Stade de France – a sea of green and pockets of black - were treated to a class contest, one of the best in World Cup history, as Ireland and the All Blacks traded punch and counter punch amid a fever-pitch atmosphere that stretched well into added time.

Ian Foster’s All Blacks have endured much adversity in the last four years but surviving two yellow cards to emerge from a knife-edge knockout match ranks up there with anything else.

Finally, after 37 phases, veteran lock Sam Whitelock threw his body over the ball and earned the match-winning penalty. Every Irish player slumped to the turf in pure agony – unable to believe their reality. The exhausted All Blacks rejoiced. Such are the fine margin emotions of this arena."

His New Zealand Herald colleague Gregor Paul added: "New Zealand’s moment of truth came and it tested them to their limits, probably beyond, but from the depth of their soul they dug out the most brilliant, brave, astonishing win.

"They were everything they wanted to be. Everything they needed to be and while they produced three magical tries, it was the last four minutes that will live long in the memory when they pulled off the most disciplined, committed defensive rearguard of the modern age."

The Dominion Post's Richard Knowler said: Hell's bells, say it quietly to yourself, but these All Blacks could win the Webb Ellis Cup. After their heart-pumping, courageous 28-24 win over Ireland in the World Cup quarterfinal in Paris on Sunday morning (NZT), it became evident that this team, when it can play like this, is a machine that can crush anything in its path.

"The way the All Blacks chopped down the northern hemisphere giant, putting an end to their 17-game winning streak, must have given their supporters, who were overwhelmed by an army of Irish fans draped in green and fuelled on beer, goose bumps that will stay on their skin for hours.

"If they don’t, they must be cold-hearted souls."

Closer to him, the Telegraph's Gavin Mairs concluded: "It will be of no consolation to Andy Farrell’s side, but they did not die wondering. The last moments of the game saw Ireland put together a mesmerising and lung-burning attacking play that almost topped 40 phases. The precision of their attack and ability to recycle in the most pressurised of situations was utterly compelling, and on several occasions appeared to exploit a weak point in the All Blacks defence. Ireland kept making metres but when it came to the white heat moment, New Zealand had the experience of Sam Whitelock to win the match-winning penalty.

"It was a game so compelling and of such quality that it deserved to be the final. New Zealand’s reward is a semi-final against Argentina and they will now fancy their chances of going all the way now. One wonders if Ireland will ever get such a chance again."

Personally, I wouldn't get beyond those headlines you posted. When the dust settles the rugby media will pick apart the winning and losing of the game, those are the ones I will read and consider.

Horses for course.

NZ press is entitled to gush. They won. You can safely bet there wouldn't be the same gushing had they lost.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

There is much made of the fact that the NZ press is harder on the team and demand more etc etc.

What has that achieved for them in reality?

They haven't won the WC since 2015, have been beaten regularly and lost Series at home for the first time ever to different teams.

A hostile media is clearly not all it's cracked up to be either, is it? I would put NZ's progress down to bringing in the likes of Joe Schimdt more TBH.

Personally, I think our media is a good and bad mix, if you want clinical, non flattering critical analysis, it is there if you know where to look. It's regularly posted on this forum in fact. If you want gush, aimed at the fair weather good time buzz supporters, that's there too.

What has that achieved for them in reality?

They haven't won the WC since 2015,

Really?

That's one iteration of the RWC, and they're in the semi's of this years one.

We'd kill for that record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Greengrass53

ABs missed an easy penalty, a convertion and gave bundee a very easy try, so not brilliant either.

Exactly. So how is that advancing the argument? It's not.

• Advertisement

?

What 'argument'?

I was just pointing out that what happens in the media doesn't produce results either way. It's more likely to be changes made in the team and coaching.

You came back with a wish we all have, I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I thought I'd wait a few days before coming on here to gloat and rub your noses in it, so here goes.... just kidding.

It was a great game with 2 good teams going at it. It was tense, it ebbed and flowed, there were moments of brilliance, there were mistakes, there was joy and there was anguish. Everything you'd want to see in knock out rugby. And one team had to lose. On Saturday it was Ireland, on another day it would be NZ.

A couple of things I've noticed after reading this entire thread, and yes I've read the hello thing (hello to the seagulls). Some posters have said that if Ireland played 100% and NZ played 100% then Ireland would win. But that's not possible is it? Part of playing at your best is stopping your opponent playing their best. The old saying "no plan survives contact with the enemy". NZ stopped Ireland and Ireland stopped NZ.

Also @Musicrules you went on for a few pages about the choking. In fact you went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and ..... well, you get the picture. Was the reason for this that you were embarrassed? For the last couple of months you've been on here all cocky and belligerent about how Ireland were going to win the world cup. You were arrogant and condescending to any posters that had doubts or were only cautiously optimistic. Must have been quite a shock to the ego on Saturday night. Rather than admit you were wrong and take the loss like a man, you came on here screaming about chokers like a child. Suck it up mate.

I was just pointing out that what happens in the media doesn't produce results either way.

And an example you gave of "doesn't produce results either way" is having not won the RWC "since 2015".

You made it sound like a much longer streak when, in reality, it was 1 single iteration of the tournament. If anything, it's evidence for the other side.

(Fwiw, I agree with your assertion that it's way more likely changes in the team / coaching side).

I also mentioned other significant 'first time' losses by NZ. (That's if you are not one who writes Series wins as insignificant and games the teams aren't fully invested in.)

The substantive point is, you can look at how the media impacts the team in a number of ways.

Great summation of the game Yeah Right. The let's find someone to blame merchants because the cheese has slipped off my cracker won't like it. Especially as it's coming from a solid poster who isn't Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

I honestly think the media criticisms of specific NZ players didn't help. Whether that gave NZ even more motivation or lulled the Irish players into a false sense of superiority, we will never know. I would like to believe a quarter final is enough motivation to be at your peak.

How do you assess NZ's prep for this match @Yeah_Right ?

Would be interested in anything you have to offer on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

NZ proved they are the superior KO rugby team.

I do still feel Ireland were unlucky with the bounce of the ball on a couple of occasions but they made a few poor decisions at the start of the game and that was ultimately the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's also possible N.Z played out of their skins. I don't think we were great, obviously the man advantage for 20 minutes would show that. We won 17 in a row, some of which we crawled over the line. I can't fault the effort. I fault the glaring mistakes. It was our best chance ever to win a RWC, we fell short. We were outplayed and out coached.

On the day we weren't good enough. It was close and we fell short. It does hurt! I'm pissed off too. There was so many if's about us, the line out, the scrum that we failed to fix. On the day we were not as good as the kiwis, imo.

Some posters have said that if Ireland played 100% and NZ played 100% then Ireland would win. But that's not possible is it? Part of playing at your best is stopping your opponent playing their best. The old saying "no plan survives contact with the enemy". NZ stopped Ireland and Ireland stopped NZ.

Ireland didn't really stop NZ though, we coughed up some really cheap scores and made some huge mistakes at key moments.

As I said all along, I believe had Ireland played their best, and shown the form we've seen them capable of playing, that game was there for the taking. This isn't a certainty of course, but IMO we were more than good enough.

My issue with all the stuff on this thread is this narrative that Ireland could have done nothing more, nothing went wrong, everything was fine, we gave it our very best shot, that's just sport, nothing to discuss, let's just move on, as if Saturday was absolutely nothing, sure we'll go again in the 6N, something something series win. This robotic, almost soulless take on the game is in some ways pretty patronising, like we're still little-old-mediocre-Ireland-of-old. There's even an article in the Irish Times today, written by a NZ journalist, where the tone is basically "Ireland can be happy cause they made NZ play better to beat them". Supremely patronising, but on par with some of the commentary in this thread.

I do not believe that if NZ had made the same mistakes as Ireland, dropping restarts, missing easy kicks and ended up going out that the NZ fans would be so blasé about it as we are being, but then this is indicative of the different mindset. We are accustomed to bad results in QFs, the actual result of this match wasn't as bad as we're used to, so we're clinging to this a bit.

All of this is being construed as "entitlement" or other such garbage terms by posters who cannot accept that some people's perspective on this game is not overwhelmingly positive, this is very frustrating. As if we're all to behave like mindless clapping seals on here. This is not entitlement, this is simply me, as a supporter, having belief in my team, and being disappoint both at and for my team not delivering a performance at the level they have shown themselves to be capable of, at the time when they needed it most.

They are absolutely not bottlers or chokers, but they absolutely will have huge regrets. This was not "just sport".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Well it depends how far you want to go back. The last 4 years has been a shambles. Losing to Argentina is unforgivable (especially in NZ), losing more than one game in AIs is really bad and losing the series to Ireland at home is awful. Though all those things have resulted in a coaching shake up and the resulting media storm has put pressure on the players which has no doubt steeped their resolve. The reaction in the game in SA after the Irish series being a prime example.

On the plus side, the ABs have kept the Bledisloe (suck it Australia) and won the RC 4 years in a row. That's nice but RWC is what AB teams are judged on.

This year, they looked good in the RC. The game in Twickenham, was a meaningless money spinner where the result didn't matter but the manner of the loss was an eye opener. The opening match against France, I always expected to lose but not by that much. I thought we would get a bonus point. Since then it's been steady improvements building to the QF. Once they new they were playing Ireland, that was the focus.

That series loss last year hurt the players. They wanted revenge. There is definitely some niggle between the 2 teams. From what I've heard the ABs players (in general) really don't like some of the Irish lads. POM and Sexton being the main two. Respect them but dislike them and really wanted to get one over them. A lot of this obviously comes from the fact Irrland has a few wins over the ABs in recent years. That's obviously going to piss them off.

So overall the prep has been good. No injuries to key players. Should get past Argentina and then it's the Boks in the final. SA will start favourites IMO but hopefully that defeat in Twickenham will be a bit of extra motivation.

My issue with all the stuff on this thread is this narrative that Ireland could have done nothing more, nothing went wrong, everything was fine, we gave it our very best shot, that's just sport, nothing to discuss, let's just move on, as if Saturday was absolutely nothing, sure we'll go again in the 6N, something something series win.

I think that is a complete misread of what has been said.

The crux of my points are that 'on the day', given all the circumstances, we gave all we could. That this 'best' level is not on a switch and that you cannot blame people for not hitting a switch that doesn't exist. There are multiple reasons why things happened as they did.

Nobody is shutting down or pretending that nothing went wrong Awec, things did, but that wasn't the whole thing. The game was there for the taking and again there are multiple reasons we could not take it. Lack of belief or effort are not the reasons and nor is other teams losing at this point in the past. That team went in fully believing they could do it.

Balance is required. And if you cannot hack the notion that sport is about what that game was about, then maybe sport is not for you.

The analysis and critques will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I not only hope you lose the final, I hope that the next time you use a urinal, you don't quite shake properly, and a little pee leaks out through the front of your trousers. And EVERYONE sees it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭TRC10

You think if NZ go knocked out out in the quarters they'd have gotten a heroes welcome at the airport?

Absolutely f*cking not. No nation celebrates failure like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I do think people underestimated just how motivated NZ were for this game. They'll be happy the draw fell the way it did now because I'd imagine they'd struggle to beat a strong team next week. They absolutely emptied themselves and had a savage determination.

I think there's a real undercurrent of bitterness between the two sides at this point and it probably started in the Dublin game in 2016 when NZ came with a real nastiness after losing a few weeks beforehand. That was the start of it but I'd imagine, for NZ, it really came to life for them last summer and they wanted revenge for both the results and the mouthing on the field.

I'm sure you've seen the reports of the exchanges between Ioane and Sexton and also between Retallick and POM after the game on Saturday. NZ had been waiting 15 months for that opportunity to settle their scores.

I assume NZ will visit in 2024 and there's going to be some serious animosity again. I wouldn't be surprised if POM signed up for one more year just to get on the field with them again.

Now attacking what was a small turnout at the airport, mostly showing gratitude and a bit of pride. Same reaction when the team showed their gratitude to supporters after SA win - they are celebrating a pool match win etc etc.

It's what we do, if you want to change it, blockade the airport. FFS. 🙄

God damn right they started it.

Unfortunately the only real way to get revenge is beating them. Which thankfully we have gotten far better at, the frankly the level of animosity is testament to that. Alas, still steps to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying awec regarding the Irish mistakes.

But why did it happen? We could write a book...but I offer up three simplistic reasons 1. NZ 2. Pressure 3. Fatigue

1. It is "just sport" - by way of NZ played better & smarter than Ireland
    2. No doubt the occasion got to Ireland and they mismanaged the opening 25 mins.
    3. The pack looked tired. esp. vdF. POM, Doris and Beirne. & Furlong just wasn't fit.

Advertisement