Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Babet - Oct 17th 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Very surprised at the low rainfall totals for Waterford and Wexford, was expecting them to be close to Cork but it all seems to have pivoted a bit west. lets see what today brings.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fairly hairy coming into work this morning, lots of surface water, especially along Lower Glanmire Road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lots of flooding in cork City now going by cork safety alerts / city council twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Met Eireann have significantly dialed back the rainfall totals for the SE since yesterday morning. It was initially looking like 60mm+ for South Wicklow today, now there's consistency across the models for 25-35. I hope that the impact isn't severe for the people of Cork, flooding is a nightmare of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I don’t think realize how much rain we’ve had in Cork, if this was Dublin the forum would be hopping. It has been absolutely biblical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Cork city and county badly flooded.

See cork safety alerts for more

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

**** nuts in cork city. The hills are like waterfalls and drivers just driving through standing water at full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Cork Airport has seen 63.4mm of rainfall since 0800 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭adocholiday

As far as I can see from the observations data, there's been 61mm at Roches Point and 49mm at Cork Airport since 7am yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very dark and wet in Galway looking at the radar the heaviest rain seems to be coming up from Cork through the mid west and Galway cold as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

How long more is this meant to last in Cork? It feels like it's been raining non-stop for a day and a half! Haven't seen it this bad, maybe ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

How did you calculate the 49mm, I get 63.4mm when I add all of today's hourly totals so far plus 36.8mm from yesterday which starts from 0800.

Edit: I see you got it from Ogimet maybe? Pretty large discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

This is the worst rain I've ever seen over a prolonged period. My kid's secondary school had to close at 8.30am just as about 60% of kids had already arrived. Nightmare! Many kids were waiting to get their JC results too. I'm amazed more things aren't closed. Biblical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

50-80 mm in 24 hours meets the red warning criteria. Even by low estimates we've had that in many parts of cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://x.com/EmmaW7889/status/1714564969646133366?s=20...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Roads by the bus station meant to be destroyed, drains exploding and roads cracking on Capwell, Penrose wharf all flooded. Lots of road damage when the flooding clears id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

My (pretty crappy) weather station maxed out at 70mm, it doesn't go any higher I think. It is red criteria by any analysis....

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

@Dazler97 cork safety alerts app

the city & county is absolute carnage this morning & not sure it is subsiding even after high tide.

some of the videos and pictures are biblical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://x.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1714568373063888932?s=20.. Youghal..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Carrigaline main street from CARRIGALINE NOTICE BOARD ( Facebook )

I live here. Tried to get out earlier, gave up, came back home WFH. All roads out bar Carrs hill if you could get to it with serious backed up traffic are impassable. Tried them all earlier, flooded. Never saw it so total all the years down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Seems like east Cork and around the city is the worst affected. Youghal a no go area at the moment.

This is the Cork link road ( rochestown park hotel on the left )

That was at 9am. Still tipping it down here as bad as ever.

Fire brigade out rescuing people from cars in Rochestown road, Centre park road etc.

Alan of carlow weather on 96fm earlier said up until now ( from a rain station he knows of in Cork area ) .. that we have had 4 inches of rain so far

I wonder has Met Eireann got a wrong call here - should Cork have been a red?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Antics21

Cork in a bad way. Roads this morning from Glanmire to Carrigaline were desperate. The amount of surface water on Carrs Hill was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think Cork should be red at this stage especially with more rain forecast. Kids going home from school traffic is a nightmare with any rain at all nevermind this amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Few snippets of around cork

I made a rain gauge yesterday morning so it’s not entirely accurate but definitely over 60mm in 24hrs & still falling

Glanmire, Tivoli, Rochestown Road and many more areas in Cork city area now effectively closed to traffic - impassable. List way longer, thats all i could retain from list read out on 96fm

This is PASSAGE WEST near the Ferry across to Cobh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Major spike in water levels in Cork across many stations.

Carrigaline => Realtime waterlevel (Looks to have hit a record height)

Cork Airport showing 15mm in past 2 hours.

Light rain in Galway in comparison, only 5.3mm since midnight.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Advertisement