Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Asking supporters for their ideas as some sort of defence for the manager of the Irish national team is absolutely comical. Go back to bed for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Will people stop saying Steve Bruce has Irish connections BTW. His mother was born to a proud Irish Protestant Unionist family. That's his Irish connections. They're about as strong as Alan Kernaghan or David Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Or Tony Cascarino. But that worked out for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He's won the LOI five times, the FAI cup three times, the League Cup six times. He is one of the most successful Irish managers ever in terms of trophies. He got Dundalk into the group stages of European football and they were the first Irish team to pick up points at that stage. He's won Manager of the Year awards from the PFAI, Philips and RTE (the last two are chosen from managers in various sports, not just football).

I know you'll come back running down the LOI but you really are an imbecile if you think winning an U-15 cup is the same (I'm aware you don't; but there's hyperbole and then there's just stupidity).

You haven't a clue what you're on about. You're showing yourself up to be a clown. You can be unhappy about results and want a change but if you want to be taken seriously, get a grip and offer some mature commentary. If not, do us all a favour and go back under your bridge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In some alternative universe where only domestic players can get picked for the national side, I'd love to see how Kenny could've gotten on with a LOI squad.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And he has utterly failed as Ireland manager. He has done the one thing he shouldn't have done. Left the whole setup in a worse state than when he went in. That is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Semantics aside, I'm arguing against the fact that some people use Bruce's tenuous connections to Ireland as proof of some emotional attachment to the country. There is none. Whatsoever.

Bruce will be coming in because he wants a part time job for decent money I'd assume. But guys like that don't like failure. He will be better than Keny but that's not really setting the bar too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I suppose you could say his son Alex was one of the few to play for both jurisdictions on NI and the ROI.

Steve was even going to play under Big Jack in USA 94.

But Alex Ferguson put a stop to Steve declaring for Ireland as in those days it would have meant that Steve Bruce would then be classed as a foreign player for European club football matches.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

He has failed and someone else should come to see if they can do better.

It is interesting that players (you know, the ones who actually work with him and have to follow his instructions) are coming out speaking positively about him.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67129639

It's also interesting that the players continue to play the way he asks them to. Clearly, they believe in him. There doesn't seem to be this 'losing the dressing room' or signs of players being unhappy and undermining him. Again, I can't remember stories of him falling out with players (though, I'm open to correction).

He tried something that the players seem to have bought into but it hasn't worked out. Give someone else a go but this idea that players are going to be traumatised from his term and that he's set football back is nonsense. A positive from his legacy will be all the young players he brought through.

He is a manager who earned his chance to get the top job but failed to make the most of it. I certainly don't buy that he was out of his depth. Too idealistic perhaps and not pragmatic enough and certainly the results are not good enough but I think people are going overboard in their criticism of him. Its not Staunton-level shambles.

The players.....and I have addressed that before.

The players are comfortable at the moment and don't want to upset the apple cart. They don't want anyone else coming in who will set higher standards and ask more of them. Apathy, indifference and excuse making is contagious in a sporting setup.

There are serious question marks over the players mentality if they are happy to keep going like this for this manager with zero sign of results improving. That's a major issue.

SK has presided over a spell that has resulted in serious damage to our chances of even making playoffs for years to come. We need a man to rebuild our ranking and to take the Nations League seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

The Irish Times today saying Lee Carsley is the FAI's preferred successor.

You mean that he was not eligible to play for Ireland and it turned out to be a myth. Which Cascarino used to flog his autobiography. Under Irish law he was still entitled to an Irish passport even though he was adopted.

The way I look at it with Ireland beggars can't be choosers. Ireland do not have much of a pool if any half decent players are available and want to declare for Ireland get them in. A country of Ireland's size cannot be turning up their nose at players. Hopefully a high profile manager after Stephen Kenny would help in such recruitment.

--

Anyway back to Kenny's tenure, if anyone has a glance at the amount of teams that is STILL in with some chance of qualifying for the Euros it is silly. It really shows up what a mess Stephen Kenny has made of things IMO.

Jayus. Just to think now at the time of writing Ireland has beaten Gibraltar twice in the group. The only two wins. Shite in the Nations League, and STILL there is hope?

And we had lads in the RTE studio wanting Doherty to celebrate like mad when he scored against Gibraltar making it 3-0 . It is like a flipping black comedy at this stage. I was half hoping they were taking the mick. But Shay Given and Stephen Kelly were dead serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭mada999

You are right you can't compare this reign with the previous couple of manager.. the other Irish managers you are talking about had better players ffs.... i dont get all this "it will take years to recover from his reign" - what does this even mean ? Thanks to the FAI our whole system is broken.. other so called poorer nations have caught up...

Kenny came in when the team was in serious transition..I doubt other managers would have made a huge improvement. The one silver lining is that he has blooded a lot of youth for the most part.

All this talk about Ireland being minnows... we are these days look at the squad...But I also have to say the our central midfield options are very very poor

He has a worse record that Staunton. To say he wasnt out of his depth is not posting in good faith.

How is it not worse than Staunton?

Not even looking at the win rate, Kenny's is worse than Stan's

One of the main arguments used for Kenny's tenure is that he 'blooded players'. At the time of writing I believe the number is around 20.

But Steve Staunton 'blooded' 24 players - in a much shorter tenure than Kenny by the way.

Of those 'hits' a large proportion 10/11 were kept on my subsequent managers after Staunton. Stephen Ireland for his own odd reasons opted out.

Such as the following players - Paul McShane, Anthony Stokes, St Ledger, Shane Long, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Ireland, Stephen Hunt, Stephen Kelly,  Daryl Murphy and Andy Keogh, Darron Gibson.

Staunton had a better squad and hadn't a clue what he was doing.

Kenny has an idea and a plan but his execution is lacking and he's been too stubborn. I don't think he's out of his depth. He came into the job with bags more experience than Staunton did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

hes not worse than staunton come on now. kenny has been brutal but staunton had a team filled with PL starters. we nearly drew to san marino ffs

• Advertisement

I genuinely don't think Kenny had a clue what he was doing. The experience was at a much lower level. I'd put his management experience on par with Stauntons actual playing experience to be honest. Like Stauntons appointment made more sense beforehand than Kenny's did.

I've talked about Staunton above but when it comes to players: How do you reckon those players from the Staunton era would stack up against the players Kenny is working with?

Their level was mostly lower PL/upper Champ at the time. Kenny's latest squad is mostly Championship, some lower PL. Staunton still had Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Shay Given, to name a few.

The fact that we are even discussing Staunton shows you just how poor a job Kenny has done. It's shocking to me because it was basically clear from day one.

Nearly though. Staunton has a lot of similarities with Kenny in that both tried to throw in a lot of new players, both were terrible in front of microphone, both seem like poor motivators.

I realise the standard of player was better, but there was still a large turnover of players and a 'rebuild'.

But one of the reasons why Staunton gets slated more than Kenny is because it was an era of expectancy to qualify. Jayus Kerr had a great record (the best Irish manger on win ratio) and Kerr was still shafted after only one campaign before Stan.

Plus for some mad reason Kenny was dressed up as this 'saviour' led by the Irish media and brought into by gullible fans. That is how the media framed it.

Kenny was given chance after chance, after chance. Excuses were constantly made, 'positives' were spun whenever possible. But in contrast the media and fans turned on Staunton very quickly.

Staunton was never the media and fans darling, like Kenny was framed as. Staunton didn't stan(d) a chance it was his first managerial job with high expectations. Bobby was supposed to be the yoda figure - but illness stopped that back up. The Bobby/Stan ticket had looked good on paper. But it was then suddenly Staunton was on his own.

Staunton had a far better playing career but good players don't always make good managers. Its a different job altogether.

Regardless of the level, managing a team, repeatedly, to success is indicative of ability. Kenny had success with several teams. He wasn't a one-trick pony.

Staunton was assistant manager at Walsall, iirc, and got the job on the back of his connections and his playing profile. Kenny got his on his CV and his experience. He had a lot more right to get the job. He's been poor but the trashing of his reputation by upset supporters is unfair.

They don't I agree , but I still stand by that Staunton at that time made just as much sense as Kenny did. I think people are really sick of him tbh , his interviews are atrocious , the results have been atrocious , just quit like. It's very frustrating, I say this as a very frustrated season ticket holder. He didn't deserve the Ireland manager job based on his low level success. Usually when your CV doesn't deserve a job you need to hit the ground running , he was woeful. Fai kept him on because of the loi crowd backing him

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

By "loi crowd" you mean the people who actually support the football industry in this country?

The FAI not having a pot to piss in was a big factor in hiring Kenny in the first, not sacking him and letting him run out his contract. In the 'good times', an LOI manager wouldn't have been considered. The money was splashed on big names.

I agree that he hasn't done a good job and you'd wonder why he doesn't quit but then he does come across as stubborn and maybe he truly believes he can turn things around.

I find it equally frustrating that people are pinning all the blame on him. One poster pointed out player's attitudes. More importantly, the FAI has been a disaster for years and the current state of Irish football has a lot to do with long-term mismanagement, it's only now that the results are.coming forth in how poorly the national team is being handled. LOI fans and others have known all about the FAI being a mess for years. That rot has finally spread to the jewel in the crown and people need to wake up to the reality.

Kenny isn't the cause; he's a symptom. Its great for the FAI that he's getting all the flak because they are the ones who are responsible.

No I mean by the people who support the Loi. Does my season ticket money not go to the FAi directly no? Get off the stage pal. Their support of Kenny has them embarrassing themselves. One of our own haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement