Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you looking at Pinergy's website or the ESB one?

I'm not on a smart tariff and I see my data on the esb site (as above, meter installed 3 Oct). I dont think it has anything to do with your provider. If the meter is "calling home" the data should be available on the ESB site.

The graph didnt allow me to select the last week. The dates were greyed out.

However, they must have heard me talking about them.... it updated since and it is now showing data upto 16 Oct so 6 days got dumped into the website in the last hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The data is available on the ESB portal, but not on the Pinergy app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Well I got my RM108 installed on Monday moring and I can now see my data Wednesday afternoon...that was quick enough, I was expecting a week maybe.

Not much to see although it does show power sent to grid which is useful...now to change my Tarriff 🤘

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It just shows usage, in 30 minute intervals.

Doesn't break down specificly to DN

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

if you’re not using much night rate electricity then it definitely makes sense to go for a flat 24-hr tariff, because the day rates are always higher on Day/Night tariffs to make up for the much cheaper night rate. Even though you will most likely have one of the new Day/Night smart meters installed you don’t have to pick a Day/Night smart tariff - you can choose a standard 24-hr smart tariff as well.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

The email you got this week congratulating you on your export is for the month of September.

After the 14th of each month they send an email with the previous months export payment.

Omce they sort your app your new monthly statement for the previous month would be on it on the same day you receive that email.

Thanks

That confirms that they have the data, and also suggests that my official time with them did indeed start in September, not October as Energia suggest.

Hopefully the app is sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

Have you had a final Energia bill ? And was the reading correct ? My actual usage was 4, but the have billed me for 46, of course all at the 24hr rate.

I'm still awaiting a reading from Pinergy

• Advertisement

Energia final bill didn't come, some cock up in their system apparently, awaiting it to be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I am curious about the reactive power components. Are they useful?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Got the second SM install letter today. Based in Dublin Fingal. Outsourced to Circet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Just got my new RM108 yesterday - swapped out my Day/Night meter (it was great while it lasted!).

I am in contract with EI - on a DAY/Night plan - I have over 50% night usage based on charging up my little 5Kwh battery and some load shifting on washer/dryer. I was happy with my setup last two years, paying very small money annually with FIT from my PV and the Gov. Grants

I am thinking - rather than break contract with EI - why not switch to "Home Electric+ Night Boost" tarrif? In my case the day and night rates are almost the same, and i get that cheap 2 hour boost window i can use for the battery? Am i missing something here? Is there a catch? There is no point avoiding the "smart Tariff" anymore if i can make it work right? i mean thats the point of this thread... i spent ages reading back on old posts before i put this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭raxy

Do you have solar panels or just the battery? I seen an ad before for installing a battery but when I contacted them they said they only install batteries with solar panels. We converted our attic & don't have enough space to make solar viable but I'd like to install a battery to charge at night & at least that would bring our bills down.

I have both. 19 panels east west givng me about 6000KW annually... really helps bring down the summer months - and then the battery i included was cheap when i bought it with the install but its only 5kw - so doesnt cover 100% my winter usage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If the numbers add up, go for it. The "rip out the smart meter" brigade are now smart meter champions 😂

2 hrs is a short boost window

Make surely to check out the rest of the night rate. Some providers are scandalous. Energia have a 4 hr window, Pinergy a 3

Plus FIT rates of course

Yeah thanks. Ei is charging the same night rate as im on now... only difference is the cheaper 2 hour boost rate. Hoping they allow me to change without a penalty. Im a big fan of cash for switching and want to avoid the exit fee. I think i should end up on zero for winter with good load shifting and automation.

I can fill 5kw in 2 hours easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭snor

I was in this EI boost but just switched to energia for lower day rates, longer EV/battery charge time, lower standing charge and higher FIT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So now I'm on a smart meter, with solar, do I need to tell my energy provider I'm not on deemed export?

Also got me thinking that my best economical approach is to run as much as I can on my night rate (15c), limit my day rate usage by via a charged battery, but also export as much as I can (ie. Don't charge the car from solar or run the washing machine or dishwasher during the day). Effectively I'll be buying at 15c to run things at night, and selling back at 18.5c during high production.

Anything flawed in my thinking? I guess DC > AC losses but the slight price difference might make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I ve been looking at my consumption on the ESBN site and it seems patchy over the last few days and its not recorded for a couple of hours (I have it only installed a week) I have good enough phone signal where I am and for the first few days it was grand.

IS this normal

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carbuncle

I have my rm108 since 9th October and have the opposite to you - for a 36 hour period a few days after install I have usage recorded but no export. In reality about 8 hours of daylight for this period but according to my inverter I am down €2.88 for fit.

not a lot but if these outages happened in June I could have been down I’ve €10 per day.

esbn have replied and it’s off for checking so we will see what happens.

its not going to be good if everybody has to do their own month by month analysis to see if they have been overcharged for import or not credited for export.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

That's the right idea, but at those rates, your gain would be very marginal indeed.

This thread started because people (like me) dumped our safe haven Day Night meters and jumped to an RM107 meter, to avail of proper cheap night rates and great Export rates.

A number of us jumped to Pinergy, for 5c night rate, 28c export, and a €100 joining cashback.

The thread is now muddied due to the new RM108, but in fact, there is a real case for you to jump to a proper Smart Tariff if you can use enough night units to offset and day imports, taking account of the value of FIT exports.

The Energia EV tariff must surely be a real option

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Something for me to figure out next year when my tariff ends. I've only 5kWh of storage, so not much to last from the end of the cheap 5c rate until day rates end. I'll have to break out the spreadsheet and see what smart rates are worth looking at.

Agreed regarding the margins. Flogas reducing the export rate from November. 24c was nice while it lasted

You don't need to tell your supplier anything, esbn will take care of everything.

The deemed export figure came from ESBN anyway, it wasn't calculated by the supplier they just got a X kWh of export.

With a 5kwh battery, I'd just be charging it to full now every night.

With a 5kwh battery, the longer but higher rate possibly is more cost effective.

Yeah. You're probably right.

Are providers still selling day/night 9hr plans? I cant see one on the Energia site.

Mine is up in a few months. I'd happily stay on 14c 9hr rates

• Advertisement

They are still available but the providers are making it harder for people to signup to them by burying them in their websites.

Energia's best d/n rate at the moment is with a 20% discount which currently equates to 36.10/17.32c inc vat per kWh.

Advertisement