Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

Israel has the right to defend itself.

Israel has the right to exist.

HAMAS and it's big brother Iran want to wipe Israel off the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1714539311914266931

Cemetary behind the hosptial, on the compound.

https://twitter.com/HananyaNaftali/status/1714605501336392175

Looks like a reasonable distance away.

Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

On the Hospital attack.

Nobody knows yet what the truth is. But there are questions related to both arguments.

It could be one of 4 possible answers, each with their own problems:

1. A Hamas rocket, which misfired. Problem: Explosion is much too large for a 50kg to 70kg warhead. Plus the sound of the approaching warhead indicated something with more mass and travelling supersonic.

2. A new HAMAS rocket, with more propellant and more mass, that misfired and exploded but did not detonate. Problem: if Hamas has developed such a weapon, why had it not been used up to now?

3. A Joint Direct Attack Munition ( JDAM). At 500lb, the weapon would create both the characteristic whistle prior to impact and the large explosion. Israel recieved a delivery of these from the US earlier this week, and also had some in storage. Problem: the explosion did not appear to have the kinetic energy associated with a 500lb bomb. Where is the crater? Did the bomb malfunction and not explode? If it was fitted with an air-burst or proximity fuse, why did it not kick up the soil?

4. A LORA munition. These ballistic long range surface to surface weapons have been recently developed by Israel and were used only weeks ago by Azerbaijan, as they bought some from Israel. Again, they have exactly the same aural and fireball characteristics as the weapon shown in the footage, but again, where did the expected kinetic energy dissipate to?

One other important point to note. It would be important to find out if there were any Israeli fighter jets in the area on a trajectory that would possibly suggest that they were in the correct vector to release such a weapon. However, it would be just as important, and easy, to prove if any jets, weapons or missiles WERE NOT present during the incident. If that were the case and Israel showed us this evidence, then that's it, case closed. But, how can they produce such Important evidence?

Two words: Arleigh Burke. There are currently 4 Arleigh Burke missile destroyers sitting off the Coast of Gaza as part of the recently arrived carrier group. These ships are designed to track and monitor multiple aerial targets as small as both a Hamas rocket or JDAM. Due to the geographical location of the blast, and the relatively low activity in the airspace, it would be very easy for Israel to "pull the tapes" of the airspace over and around the area in question at the time of the attack. The information is absolutely there, and recorded. So why not show it in order to definitively prove that it was a Hamas missile, not an Israeli missile that hit the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So you didn’t read the post you’re criticizing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Too much innocence in this post. The bottom line is - Israeli government wants the Palestinians out of Gaza so they can plant their own people there.

The concert attack was the perfect pretext for the opportunistic Netenyahoo. The Kibbutz dwellers are too liberal for him and were the cause of him not being voted in last time. You can't bake a cake without cracking a few Kibbutz eggs is his attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

It just looks strange. Channel 12 show footage of missiles being shot directly towards the hospital and others show them being shot away from the hospital. Same time and everything.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Actually, it's often not

But don't let that stand in your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

If you bothered to read the post you would see that I damned Hamas for all killing Israelis innocents, but to pretend that the tinderbox the situation now isnt largely due to Israeli policy over the past 50/60 years would be ignorant. Educate yourself. I live in the Middle east and have been having conversations with friends of both denominations. It was an Israeli friend who provided the second link to me to help me understand the context.

Israel are more than capable of creating their own small yield guided bombs.

https://www.rafael.co.il/spice-family/

I'd agree though, there should be evidence of aircraft in the area or by other monitoring released.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭onlymeself

You know what go a long way towards clearing this all up. A picture of the crater. If there was a crater how in the hell have we not seen it yet with all the photos taken of the site of the explosion. I just can't see how it was a JDAM or anything like that. But then I can't understand the noise it created as it came in. Would that happen with shrapnel? Or did someone overlay audio on the video.

• Advertisement

I agree with all the above - however Palestinians have the right to exist. Palestinians do not equal Hamas. These questions require a simple yes or no.

Are Israel right to withhold food, water, humanitarian aid from innocent Palestinian people.

Do you believe under the right the return that Israelis are entitles to walk into a Palestinian home, and its now theirs.

Do you believe that Israel are entitled to oppress innocent Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The fact that the US secret service are happy to let Biden into Tel Aviv is a sure indicator of the current threat levels. Yet we are told that Hamas are unleashing a barrage of rockets towards Tel Aviv? Please...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

To play devils advocate on the footage:

It's impossible to ascertain the vector of the rockets. They could be travelling anywhere within a 90 degree arc in the footage. Plus, there is the possible scenario that an IAF jet saw the rockets being prepared to fire, using its FLIR pod, launched a weapon towards the rocket site, but it fell short and hit the hospital.

Again, it's not definitive proof. We just do not know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

This was discussed earlier nothing stopping millions of Palestinians in Gaza peacefully marching in open demanding

1. end of bombing
    2. return of kidnapped people back to Israel
    3. handing over any Islamists involved in terrorist attack to courts

not like Palestinians there have much else todo and the whole world is watching and has attention on region

this would get rid off the Hamas yoke, satisfy Israel and resume services and potentially set groundwork for longer term solution in region

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Maybe they took a leaf out of Bin Laden’s book and kept off coms for that attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

i think great credit must go to Biden. clearly he's not a young man, but he's there, he's putting himself in the eye of a storm, he's trying.

he could just as easily stayed Stateside and threw up his hands in despair. he didn't.

the US is possibly the only party now which can talk sense to Nettanyahu and his right-wing Govt. HAMAS have now scored another own-goal and are desperate to try and turn it around.

I wish President Biden GOOD LUCK!

He's gonna need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭onlymeself

Ya that's right. And that last flash from rocket high up about a second or two before hospital explosion is seen on other videos also.

Do Israel use anything at all that they can fire from planes to take out rockets in the sky. Just wondering if that rocket that seemed to explode in the air was hit with something and hospital also hit by accident at same time by something trying to take out rockets.

If it wasn't, then most likely to be falling debris from PIJ rocket, or possibly but unlikely that IDF fired something at exactly same time that completely missed target or failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So who bombed the oispideal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 muob

@boetstark the world is not going to assure Israel of anything in that regard simply because no one knows....

one attack like they experienced on Saturday last does not IN ANY WAY excuse their current deplorable killings.

I'm pretty sure they are much more likely to be on the receiving end of attacks in future after their ongoing massacre in Gaza of innocent women, children, families and their displacement of over 1MN+ citizens. Also their inhumane cutting off of vital power water supplies.

No sympathy whatsoever for them they are shameless bullies who stop at nothing just to protect themselves. They are full of REVENGE and nothing good will ever come of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

#2: They've been using substantially larger rockets for some time. See launches against Ashkelon and Netivot in 2021.

“The new Buraq missiles have a range of 85 kilometers (50 miles), and the improved Badr 3 missiles have an explosive warhead weighing 400 kilos (880 pounds),” an Al-Quds Brigades spokesman said

That's just shy the amount of explosives as a Mk84 bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Joe brolly making a show of himself on twitter. No matter how much evidence suggests it's far more likely a HAMAS strike he keeps accusing Israel. I wonder will him comment on HAMAS shooting these faulty rockets over hospitals when reality finally sets in.

Idealogical... and would not stop Israel treatment of Palestinians, and land grabbing.... Never mind 1.1m of them have been trying to evacuate amongst 6,000 bombs dropping on them, and busy trying to rescue people.

Also please read the article I linked. It actually discusses what happened the last time Palestinian rose up in peaceful protest. For context.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looking like it was not Israel who bombed the hospital, I was wrong, and unlike other people, I love being wrong, every time I'm wrong I learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭crusd

Rockets are propelled. Its momentum is generated by the rocket itself.

Listen to the video in the link. You can clearly hear that its a rocket. The trope of the whistle in a failing bomb was due to the WW2 practice of adding a whistle to their bombs to instill fear

There will always be Irish people who will never be seen to not condemn Israel, no matter what Palestinians do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

No it’s a practical civilised solution to this shitshow, which has worked elsewhere before to bring down much shittier authoritarian regimes

Except there are parties on both sides and their useful idiots for whom continued conflict and misery is the aim

Advertisement