Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Could Tonali be facing a suspension from football due to the betting scandal engulfing Italy at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's not wrong and it doesn't take genius to realise spending that on casemiro was bad business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Can you provide a link to where Ratcliffe publicly called out the casemiro signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Do they not have the internet in your neck of the bog? Try googling two words: Ratcliffe, Casemiro and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think their point is that it didn't happen. Ratcliffe said it in a private meeting with the Utd head honchos, behind closed doors. It's just been leaked from somebody internally since, and was never a public statement. Which obviously is a very very different thing to actively publicly commenting on a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Woulda thought posting a link would be less effort than typing all that but hey ho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Googling it would have been less effort than asking lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

I did.

I found no public comments from Ratcliffe on him.

So again, can you please provide a source for Racliffe publicly calling out the Casemiro signing?

Or just admit that you wanted to have a shot, and essentially made something up.

Or, do you need someone to explain the difference between a private conversation and a public calling out? Cause I think that might be the issue her. Comments being attributed to Ratcliffe, that were made in a private meeting at Old Trafford/Carrington, are absolutely not the same as Ratcliffe publicly calling out a signing. To have publicly called him out, as you say, I want you to provide a link that shows Ratcliffe being actually quoted, in a direct interview or similar with a public outlet, being recorded saying such things in public.

You try googling it and see if you find Ratcliffe PUBLICLY calling out Caremiro. "LOL". I bet you won't find it. So in the absence of being able to find evidence to back up the claim of the poster, do you think it then unreasonable to ask for one?

Yea you are dead right why bother, trying to discuss something on a discussion forum.

Backing up claims is too much effort, why bother sharing an article others might like to read, when you can just make sarky comments that would be best left to Twitter...

Jesus the **** lads cry about on here, grow up will ya ffs and remember what this place is actually for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wait so maybe the supposed "leakers" that everyone was frothing at the mouth to expose the last few years weren't Lingard and Henderson 😵‍💫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looks like Tonali is gonna be serving a ban for admitting to gambling, big blow for newcastle that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Probably won’t be as long as Toney but will still be significant.

It’s in the guardian newspaper or website 👍🏻

Can you provide a link please?

I can only find things about Ratcliffe questioning the transfer processes at United and using Casemiro as an example, in a private meeting at Old Trafford, which by the nature of it being a private meeting means it would be entirely incorrect to say that Ratcliffe publicly called out Casemiro. So that obviously can't be what you are talking about, and I simply can't find this.

I didn’t make the original statement about what he said 🤷‍♂️

You said its on the guardian website though.

Simple fact is, if it was said, it was said in a private meeting and the discussion in that private meeting was leaked. That is not the same as Racliffe publicly calling Casemiro out, as the OP stated and has never backed up.

Like christ, in a discussion about the processes and progress at United, inclusive of recruitment, are you actually surprised someone would say United are poor in the market and waste money? Are you surprised they would point to paying 50millon on a 30yo and giving him a massive contract as maybe not being the best bit of business they could have done? Comments such as these should be no surprise to anyone! To suggest it shows stupidity from Ratcliffe is, in itself, stupid (imo). Ratcliffe was correct in his commentary, if he indeed said it. The only issue is, if there is an issue at all, that it was leaked - but a leak of a private conversation is NOT the same as Ratcliffe calling Casemiro out in public.

Whether or not it was leaked or stated publicly, it’s not wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

Exactly. Lads arguing about the deck chairs stops them looking at the substantive point that it’s an insane overspend if that 350k per week figure with 2.5 years left is correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

3pm blackout continues with the next round of broadcasting rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Looks like he'll get a year at least. I wonder will they tear up his contract? Also how long did Tonali, his agent and Milan know about this investigation?

Seems the big difference is that Tonali has confessed to betting on games he played in, which puts him in a higher category than Toney… that was one of the mitigating factors in Toney’s defence, that he only bet on games he couldn’t influence on the field.

Seems to be between 1 and 3 years, though with his relative youth, and that he (like Toney) is coming clean since caught, it’ll be on the lighter end of that.

Football really needs to deal with its hypocritical relationship with betting… the players are more immersed in betting advertising and marketing than anyone (Newcastle apparently have 3 betting partners they do publicity for), and are young and impressionable and rich - they’re the prime targets for the very marketing they have to take part in. By default, the messaging all around them is that of normalised gambling, so it can’t be any surprise that we end up with players in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tonali has said he bet on AC games but only 9nes he wasn't involved in wasn't it?

The difference with tonali vs toney is it is a criminal offence with prison time in Italy. In the UK, fir toney, it was purely a football association issue.

And sports people aren't allowed to bet on sports in Italy. And it's even worse if you bet on your own sport. Never mind your own team!

Yeah and he only bet on them to win but its still a poor look. I'm nearly Sure toney did bet on games he was involved in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they rely on the betting companies to report on dodgy betting patterns which is why they are allowed sponsor is my guess

According to the Guardian he did bet on some games he was involved in;

"During a hearing at the city prosecutor’s office in Turin on Tuesday the 23-year-old Italy midfielder is reported to have confessed that he bet on Milan to win a series of matches, some of which he played in."

I was wrong on Toney though, he also bet in games he played in.

So it seems the distinction in reported sentencing is more down to Italy's harder stance.

They take sponsorship for the money, that's the only reason. Sure it's in betting companies best interests to report on dodgy betting patterns anyway, as they're the ones directly losing out from fixes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Guck the bookies, they want it both ways. Bet with us, but anything we don't like we'll cry foul and raise the alarm.

There is no place for bookies in football. The likes of racing and the likes are rotten to the core, mainly because of gambling, and football is going the same way. The locally based bookies are crooked enough, imagine the jiggery/pokery that goes on in Asia with less regulation

Yeah, no time for them and the control they're trying to exert on the game. The fact that they're protected in markets that have nothing to do with the events on the field - like player or manager transfers - is especially ridiculous. If they want to cover that market, grand, but that should come with an acceptance of the risk that these are key events in people's actual lives that loads of people will know about up front all around them, from friends and family to estate agents and the likes, totally unlike live-event betting where everything happens in the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They can black out whatever they like in the UK but given we aren't there, it's about time that they televise all games here and allow us to watch whatever we please. Either that or reduce the subscription fees in line with UK pricing or lower. Irish customers shouldn't be paying more for less.

There should be no blackout in the ROI anymore.

The old excuse was the spillover from the 28E satellite, but now more and more people access Sky and media through streaming, so their location is known. We should be treated the same as Bangkok or Capetown, we're not part of the UK.

People are accessing it through other methods, why not set up a proper means of accessing it in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Whatever about the blackout, hopefully they'll sort out the rearranged matches late in the season being televised. There's been numerous weeknight matches in recent seasons that just haven't been shown because they fall outside the contracts (and I think also because of UEFA regulations if there's European football on the same night).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

2028 earliest till a streaming service comeson board, very surprised at that. Literally cameras at all the games, Sky do their service through internet not satellite now (well, option anyway) so no reason not to offer it, from a fans pov anyway

From what I see, more and more people access Sky through their online service Sky Go, especially new installs. Why would you pay more to install a dish and anculliaries when you can stream for less cost. Obviously it's rights dependent and for negotiation, but why should we still being lumped in with the UK, we ought to have the same access as other EU countries surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Almost 8 years to the day of the last time it happened, a player is sent off for 2 yellow cards against Liverpool.

Sadio Mane was the last player to hold that honour. Ashley Young has it now.

I would agree that it’s a harsh red, except for the fact that Young also kicked the ball away a few mins ago to prevent Liverpool taking a quick throw in.

But in general, there are too many soft reds in the league this year, destroying games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I reckon the ref wasn't going to give him the yellow, but then remembered Young booting the ball away earlier for which he should've been given a 2nd yellow, so it was an easy call to finally send him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

He committed 4 fouls, 2 definite yellows among them and purposely kicked the ball away to prevent a quick throw for great counter attacking situation. I don't think he can have any complaints.

That's funny a player sent off against Liverpool? I thought there was a giant anti Liverpool conspiracy amongst the officials?? Did Craig Pawsons UAE cheques bounce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

There can simultaneously be a conspiracy and opposition players getting sent off. The two aren't mutually exclusive, especially when one player continues to commit fouls while on a yellow (one of which was to kick the ball away). If you were a conspiracy theorist, you might wonder why he didn't go sooner for that offence?

more inconsistency, thats a second yellow all day

i dont get it, thats a pen to liverpool. the ref's have lost the plot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not even close, ridiculous dive from Diaz.

Liverpool creating absolutely nothing, begging for plenty of penalties though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If that's not a penalty the game's over, he was hailing a **** taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's got to be a penalty to Liverpool for handball.

thats been given but i dont know how the handball rule works anymore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As blatant a penalty as you are likely to get - correct decision. His arm was straight away from his body.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

One of the better taken penalties by Salah, that wasn't going to be stopped.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement